Thread poster: Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:11
English to Arabic
Dec 1, 2008

Peace be upon you all,
I am searching for a good book just like "how to market your services as a freelance translator,
Can you recommend a good book for me.
B.R

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:11
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I don't currently own one, but ... Dec 1, 2008

... I remember someone recommending "How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator" by Corinne McKay, an ATA-certified translator. Affordable & promising customer ratings.

Check out (you can
... See more
... I remember someone recommending "How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator" by Corinne McKay, an ATA-certified translator. Affordable & promising customer ratings.

Check out (you can even browse inside the book):

http://www.amazon.com/How-Succeed-as-Freelance-Translator/dp/1411695208/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

[Edited at 2008-12-01 13:06 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:11
German to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 1, 2008

Corinne also has a very good web site and blog with lots of information. And then, of course, there is Oleg's book available here on ProZ. I've only read two chapters of it (including a very long one on getting started), but I found it very interesting and practical. I personally was more interested in the first-person discourses and information on what the price adjustment situation was like as translators in the east suddenly got access to western markets, but I think there is useful informati... See more
Corinne also has a very good web site and blog with lots of information. And then, of course, there is Oleg's book available here on ProZ. I've only read two chapters of it (including a very long one on getting started), but I found it very interesting and practical. I personally was more interested in the first-person discourses and information on what the price adjustment situation was like as translators in the east suddenly got access to western markets, but I think there is useful information for most anyone in that book. And then there's the classic from Mr. Eames.

What I would like to do some day when I have time is to compare those three (and maybe others) and see which are most globally applicable. It's very clear from following discussions here and elsewhere that we deal with very different business challenges around the world. What is universal, and where do we need to seek region- or country-specific advice? I have no idea. It would interest me very much to see such a practical treatment that could be used effectively and with confidence in any place.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:11
English to French
+ ...
I just read a few Dec 2, 2008

I just read Morry Sofer and Jeffrey Samuelsson-Brown (I don't really need the advice, but I figured I would check it out to see what all the raving is all about). Although both books promise that they will be a good read even for established translators, I didn't really learn anything new from them. I also tend to disagree on a number of things in these books, one of which is suggesting volume discounts, and another one being the idea that a successful translator is a generalist, or if you prefe... See more
I just read Morry Sofer and Jeffrey Samuelsson-Brown (I don't really need the advice, but I figured I would check it out to see what all the raving is all about). Although both books promise that they will be a good read even for established translators, I didn't really learn anything new from them. I also tend to disagree on a number of things in these books, one of which is suggesting volume discounts, and another one being the idea that a successful translator is a generalist, or if you prefer, a jack of all trades (and master of none). What the $%&$?%#???

Also, I think this type of book will not teach you anything about marketing. Sure, they tell you dos and don'ts - never deliver a translation late, always ask questions, etc. But that will hardly help market your services, as that is mostly what we are all doing. That's not what is going to make you stand out from the crowd.

I think you are better off reading books (and websites) about service marketing in general (usually aimed at accountants, attorneys, web designers, etc.) and then some about selling. Yes, selling!

I feel that reading these freelance translation career books is pointless, because most of these books deal too much with translation itself and not with the marketing of it.

Really, you are better off reading about marketing and sales, without the freelance translation part.
Collapse

Mahmoud Rayyan
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Viktoria, Dec 3, 2008

.....I apreciate that for you. Many thanks
Thanks Kevin too for all your help.
Sure I will keep you informed for the new good news.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Mahmoud Dec 3, 2008

I was doing something completely different, but came across one interesting part of the site (for you):

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/categories/Business-of-Translation-and-Interpreting/Marketing-Your-Language-Services/

Mahmoud Rayyan
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Parrot for the link Dec 10, 2008

Many thanks for the link Parrot and sorry for the late reply
I am really proud of being member of this marvellous site.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:11
English to French
+ ...
Here's another one Dec 13, 2008

This thread was posted a few days ago: http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/122669-new_book_on_freelancing_from_oreilly.html

This looks like something better. It is not targeting translators specifically - it was written for freelancers in general. It seems to me that it is oriented more towards marketing and less toward
... See more
This thread was posted a few days ago: http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/122669-new_book_on_freelancing_from_oreilly.html

This looks like something better. It is not targeting translators specifically - it was written for freelancers in general. It seems to me that it is oriented more towards marketing and less toward the trade. In any case, I am adding it to my wishlist.
Collapse

Mahmoud Rayyan
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Viktoria for the link Dec 15, 2008

.... I will try to get this book ASAP.
Many thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good book for marketing talents

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »