A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: How do you pronounce the *ProZ* in ProZ.com?
Téma indítója: ProZ.com Staff
Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
angol - spanyol
+ ...
Agree, proz like the wizard of oz... Feb 20, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

I voted "other" because I always think and speak of it as "Prozz" (to rhyme with the Wizard of Oz), also "KoodOZZ" for KudoZ (stress on the second syllable).

[Edited at 2006-02-19 13:55]

I also wrote other.
To me, it has a short o...
(maybe because I would say it in Spanish)

Though it's funny, at a powow in Puerto Rico, someone was calling it "Pro zeta", which also sounds ok.

But it does come form "Pros" as in professionals...

Regads,

heidi

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 08:38
angol - francia
+ ...
Pro-zee Feb 20, 2006

That's how I pronounce it, with the letter Z.

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Szaúd-Arábia
Local time: 18:38
angol - arab
+ ...
rhyming with grows ro hose Feb 20, 2006

I am among those who pronounce it rhyming with grows or a hose connected to a water tap that satisfies (most of times) my thirst for knowledge.

Ahmad Wadan
أحمد ودن

www.arablish.com

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonézia
Local time: 22:38
angol - indonéz
+ ...
You are not alone, Mr Doughty Feb 20, 2006

I also spell it Prozz. I didn't it's wrong.

Marki.
Indonesia

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Hollandia
Local time: 17:38
Tag (2002 óta)
német - holland
+ ...
A WEBOLDALAT LOKALIZÁLÓ FORDÍTÓ
like because -> cos, or DOS Feb 20, 2006

Heidi:) wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

I voted "other" because I always think and speak of it as "Prozz" (to rhyme with the Wizard of Oz), also "KoodOZZ" for KudoZ (stress on the second syllable).

[Edited at 2006-02-19 13:55]

I also wrote other.
To me, it has a short o...
(maybe because I would say it in Spanish)

Though it's funny, at a powow in Puerto Rico, someone was calling it "Pro zeta", which also sounds ok.

But it does come form "Pros" as in professionals...

Regads,

heidi

I pronounce it like because, with a short o and a s

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
Franciaország
francia - angol
+ ...
Prozz Feb 20, 2006

I'm another who pronounces it Prozz (as in Oz). Maybe it is a British thing but when I was younger, in certain circles pros were not professionals, they were prostitutes, and pro for professional was pretty much reserved for the theatre. Today, pro for professional seems to be widely used so maybe I've been caught in a generation gap.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
Franciaország
német - francia
+ ...
Other Feb 20, 2006

I answered Other because for myself, I pronounce it Prozee, but when I talk about it to people, they often don't get it so I also say Proze or Pro-zed.

By the way, is there an 'official' pronunciation, implying right or wrong pronunciation?

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
német
+ ...
Prose Feb 20, 2006

Well, I also assumed it was a neat shorthand form for "professionals" (pros), so I pronounce it as "prose" or "prose dot com" when I talk to people on the phone.

When we talk about the site here at the company it has become a bit of an inside joke to call it "Protz" (German, pronounced "prots"), like Eric Hansson mentioned.

B

paolamonaco
paolamonaco  Identity Verified
Olaszország
angol - olasz
+ ...
Prozz Feb 20, 2006

Here's another one: Prozz as in OZ

Paola

Alison High
Alison High  Identity Verified
Svájc
francia - angol
+ ...
proze/pro-zed Feb 20, 2006

I answered ProZ (grows, toes) like the majority, but I think I thought about it too long...

I think I actually tend towards Pro-Zed... or why capitalize the Z?

And being a Brit, I really couldn't bring myself to saying Pro-Zee... (no offense intended to our American friends)

Forgot to add that, just to be confusing, I'd say Kudoz as in wizard of and was.

[Edited at 2006-02-20 15:56]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finnország
Local time: 18:38
Tag (2003 óta)
finn - német
+ ...
Depends on how you pronounce the 'o' Nov 29, 2006

If you say proze the English way, you say pro-use for German or Scandinavian ears. I would pronounce it pros or prots with a short 'o', but usually I call it "that one translator's site".

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
francia - angol
+ ...
Proth Nov 29, 2006

I've heard "proth" here in Spain.

Ruxi
Ruxi
német - román
+ ...
Questions Nov 29, 2006

1. I never new the meaning of the Z at the end of the words Pro, Kudo, Brownie, nor the meaning of KudoZ and Browniez and where they come from.
2. If ProZ come from profesional, then why not ProS?
3. People tend to pronounce it they way the letter is being used in the very country: the German have for "z" another sound than the Spanish people.
Actually I say it like prose, as we say the "z" in Romanian, but also much like the German people.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
svéd - angol
+ ...
Amazed Nov 29, 2006

. . . by all the different ways of pronoucing ProZ. And as the person who originally suggested the poll, delighted.

Elaine Matos
Elaine Matos
Egyesült Államok
angol - spanyol
+ ...
I never thought this was an issue! Dec 1, 2006

I am surprise. At first, I thought that the pronounciation was obvious, but certainly it isn't. I think that the use of the Z it is for marely stylish purpose.

I refer to this web site as "pross", like boss (and I erroneously automatically assumed that everyone pronounced it the same way).

I read every input, and now I understand the diversified reasons of why this became such an interesting topic.

[Edited at 2006-12-01 17:19]

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you pronounce the *ProZ* in ProZ.com?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »