Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What is the most you have paid for a dictionary?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 27, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is the most you have paid for a dictionary?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mario Chavez. View the poll results »

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
The most I paid for a dictionary Oct 27, 2016

…was $270 (US dollars) in 1993 (I think) for a 3-volume encyclopedic technical dictionary by Javier A. Collazo (he passed away in 2003).

I bought the dictionary directly from Mr. Collazo.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The most I paid for a dictionary Oct 27, 2016

was 265 EUR (= USD289) for the Portuguese version of the Stedman's Medical Dictionary. I also paid a good amount (can't remember exactly how much) for another medical dictionary (Dicionário de Medicina e Saúde, Luís Rey), bought the last time I went to São Paulo (couldn't find it in Portugal).

[Edited at 2016-10-27 12:23 GMT]

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:33
German to French
+ ...
Other Oct 27, 2016

Never bought a dictionary in US$.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Hey Oct 27, 2016

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

That is what I wanted to say☺

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 27, 2016

Never needed one

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use an equivalent currency Oct 27, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

That is what I wanted to say☺

Guys, you could have used the equivalent amount in your country's currency.

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:33
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other - (I really can't remember...) Oct 27, 2016

Although I bought several dictionaries when I started to work as a freelance translator, I do not remember any of them setting me back significantly...

And the dictionaries I bought recently were quite inexpensive. (I found some pretty good deals on Amazon and Abebooks...)

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:33
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I can't remember Oct 27, 2016

The last dictionary I bought was in 1990, so I can't remember.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:33
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Oct 27, 2016

Bought Multitran for around $100 give or take. Definitely worth it.

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:03
English to Hindi
+ ...
I have paid INR 1000+ at most Oct 27, 2016

Hi,

I have always paid only in Indian National Rupees or Nepali National Rupees for any language related resource/resource books. At most, I have paid about INR 1000+ last time. And it was more than 5 to 6 years now. I have a small and beautiful collection of good dictionaries and religious Hindu books with me which includes English to Hindi, Hindi to English, English to Nepali, Nepali to English dictionaries and a Sanskrit one too.

However, nowadays, mostly I work with
... See more
Hi,

I have always paid only in Indian National Rupees or Nepali National Rupees for any language related resource/resource books. At most, I have paid about INR 1000+ last time. And it was more than 5 to 6 years now. I have a small and beautiful collection of good dictionaries and religious Hindu books with me which includes English to Hindi, Hindi to English, English to Nepali, Nepali to English dictionaries and a Sanskrit one too.

However, nowadays, mostly I work without using any handy dictionary. I use online resources mostly like wikipedia, thesaurus, pronunciation revealing websites etc. to get help, in case of need. Rarely, I use that collection of good books with me. I consider those books as my final weapons, in case I may not have internet connection and yet need to complete some urgent work!

Enjoy Translations!

Warm Regards,
Prakash Sharma
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
About $140 Oct 28, 2016

I still use my hardcopy dictionaries! They often provide much richer information in one place than you can find on the Internet.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Does subscribing to online dictionaries count? Oct 28, 2016

I have paid tidy sums for online subscriptions, and usually thought the dictionaries were worth every penny or Danish øre. Those are the most important

I collect paper dictionaries, and some are, admittedly, more fun than practical use. I have bought many second-hand, and saved a lot of money when my former employer closed an office and sold the dictionaries for a token price. The two-volume Swedish Fackordbok would have been expensive otherwise, and was nearly new. I have an idea
... See more
I have paid tidy sums for online subscriptions, and usually thought the dictionaries were worth every penny or Danish øre. Those are the most important

I collect paper dictionaries, and some are, admittedly, more fun than practical use. I have bought many second-hand, and saved a lot of money when my former employer closed an office and sold the dictionaries for a token price. The two-volume Swedish Fackordbok would have been expensive otherwise, and was nearly new. I have an idea that I paid something like 100 pounds in a London bookshop for the Norwegian technical one - 500 pages, quarto in size...

I paid 18 pounds for a very good dental dictionary at a charity shop, and that is quite a high price as charity shops go. However, the dictionary was in new condition, and definitely worth it!

It saddens me when people proudly say they don't need dictionaries. It probably depends to a large extent what is available, depending on subject and language pair. Not all nations and languages have such good lexicographers, or the money and resources to support them, as in my pairs - English being my target language...

I have four or five shelf-metres of dictionaries and language reference works...
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kudos for your library Oct 28, 2016

PRAKAASH wrote:

Hi,

However, nowadays, mostly I work without using any handy dictionary. I use online resources mostly like wikipedia, thesaurus, pronunciation revealing websites etc. to get help, in case of need. Rarely, I use that collection of good books with me. I consider those books as my final weapons, in case I may not have internet connection and yet need to complete some urgent work!

Enjoy Translations!

Warm Regards,
Prakash Sharma

Prakash, I admire your tenacity and sense of aesthetics in collecting (for lack of a better word) those dictionaries. Printed books have survived centuries while we don't even know how long an ebook reader or a computer can last without a battery or without power.

May I suggest that you maybe start a blog with pictures of your dictionaries? I would love to see them.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Our breed is still going strong Oct 28, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

I collect paper dictionaries, and some are, admittedly, more fun than practical use. I have bought many second-hand, and saved a lot of money when my former employer closed an office and sold the dictionaries for a token price. The two-volume Swedish Fackordbok would have been expensive otherwise, and was nearly new. I have an idea that I paid something like 100 pounds in a London bookshop for the Norwegian technical one - 500 pages, quarto in size...

I paid 18 pounds for a very good dental dictionary at a charity shop, and that is quite a high price as charity shops go. However, the dictionary was in new condition, and definitely worth it!

It saddens me when people proudly say they don't need dictionaries. It probably depends to a large extent what is available, depending on subject and language pair. Not all nations and languages have such good lexicographers, or the money and resources to support them, as in my pairs - English being my target language...

I have four or five shelf-metres of dictionaries and language reference works...

Bravo, Christine! Although I have a paid subscription to www.cosnautas.com (Spanish-English medical dictionary and acronyms), I still use my printed dictionaries and reference books. And yes, I also have several shelves full of dictionaries like you.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the most you have paid for a dictionary?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »