Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How did you get your first translation job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 29, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How did you get your first translation job?".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:55
German to English
+ ...
Other Aug 29, 2016

The old-fashioned way, by sending out my CV to agencies.

airmailrpl
airmailrpl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:55
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How does one remember ?? Aug 29, 2016

It was so long ago that I would not remember how I got it or what it was either!!

[Edited at 2016-08-29 08:19 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:55
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - I was hired Aug 29, 2016

I took a test and was hired to work in an international organization. That job led to another job in another international organization. By the time I went freelance 24 years ago, I already knew people in many different organizations and had work waiting for me.

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My first job was a... prize! Aug 29, 2016

My first translation job was actually a prize given by one of my teachers at ISLA (Translator School in Lisbon) to the two students he felt had done better during the final year. It was paid, of course!

It was a small book and my classmate and I split the job. Since I had accepted a summer job in Heidelberg, I took the torn half of the book with me and actually wrote the translation by hand, since I did not have a typewriter with me (this was in 1973!). I would then mail the pages
... See more
My first translation job was actually a prize given by one of my teachers at ISLA (Translator School in Lisbon) to the two students he felt had done better during the final year. It was paid, of course!

It was a small book and my classmate and I split the job. Since I had accepted a summer job in Heidelberg, I took the torn half of the book with me and actually wrote the translation by hand, since I did not have a typewriter with me (this was in 1973!). I would then mail the pages in batches to a friend in Lisbon who would type them. It all worked out very well in the end. Looking back, I can now see how the "pace of things" was much, much slower. (Only the Post Office was more efficient then than it is now...)
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Aug 29, 2016

In 1985, I was contacted by a Belgian agency looking for someone to translate every month “le Bulletin des Communautés européennes” After some rigorous tests, I got that first job and it was a big one! I have no idea who gave them my name...

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
It was a seamless transition Aug 29, 2016

People heard me speaking Spanish/Catalan and they just started asking me to translate written things for them; after that, it just sort of snowballed. I guess you could say I seamlessly transferred into it from TEFL work.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.
Gudrun Maydorn (X)
Gudrun Maydorn (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
By talking to potential customers at a trade fair Aug 29, 2016

One of my special fields is medical instruments. When I started out as a freelancer (after decades in full-time employment) I visited an international trade fair to contact potential customers. Two of those contacts resulted in my first translation jobs.

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Contacts at an agency Aug 29, 2016

I knew a couple of girls who worked at a translation agency. I did a few small jobs for them, then they became a main client for around 6/7 years, then they disappeared. Not the first time a PM has left a position and then the new one brings in her/his own contacts. I've found new clients in the meantime, thankfully!

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Direct mail Aug 29, 2016

I sent letters to 50 firms on the Humber Bank, an industrial area in England where I lived at the time (early 80s) and still live and one of them, a huge multinational, sent me a tidy job. After that, I got nearly all my work through the Yellow Pages.
I printed all the letters and envelopes on an Amstrad daisywheel printer.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
In the RAF, responding to an appeal for volunteers Aug 29, 2016

In 1951 I was an engine fitter in the RAF, having completed a three-year engineering apprentice in 1950. I failed a medical for aircrew and was not very happy at the prospect of continuing as a fitter indefinitely, so when I saw a call for volunteers to learn Russian, I put my name forward.
This led to a Russian course in 1952, followed by work monitoring communications from June 1953. I later found the engineering background useful for translation work.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:55
German to English
+ ...
by phoning, then mailing info, to potential clients Aug 29, 2016

I phoned potential clients (agencies) in my city and province, asking if they would like my information. For those who said yes, I mailed that info. My first ever job came via a faxed death certificate that slowly churned its way out of the old fashioned fax machine, scaring me, because I thought I was being notified of the death of someone I knew. The e-mail informing me that this was a job came afterward.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Direct contacts Aug 29, 2016

I am not sure which came first, my brother-in-law, who was an archaeologist, or a friend and colleague of my parents, who heard through the grapevine that I lived in Denmark, and wanted a book translated for her archives.

Probably my brother-in-law - he had English-speaking colleagues who sometimes translated for him, and occasionally he wrote in English himself, but someone had told him his English sounded like German, and he wanted a native speaker to do the translation. So I lear
... See more
I am not sure which came first, my brother-in-law, who was an archaeologist, or a friend and colleague of my parents, who heard through the grapevine that I lived in Denmark, and wanted a book translated for her archives.

Probably my brother-in-law - he had English-speaking colleagues who sometimes translated for him, and occasionally he wrote in English himself, but someone had told him his English sounded like German, and he wanted a native speaker to do the translation. So I learned a lot of fascinating archaeology and dendrochronology... and that it is important to check your terminology with the client! Also that in some cases the client may be the only reliable source of terminology anyway.

I dabbled in children's books and cookery for family and friends, and then landed a job in-house, partly because I could talk about the book and the dendrochronology.
Collapse

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Through a friend Aug 29, 2016

He was -and still is- a film director and needed help with the translation of a script.
It was a rewarding experience.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How did you get your first translation job?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »