Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Which is the most useful book for freelance translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Successful? Oct 30, 2013

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:

are exactly the kind of title I'd avoid like the plague.
Anything with "successful" in the title reeks of low-level marketing guru-influence - which is a genre that annoys me beyond description.

I'd much rather spend time reading translations theory or anything that flexes my linguistic muscles so they don't go all floppy on me.

I couldn't agree more. I refuse to read anything like that. The only people who read that kind of stuff are people who, precisely, are NOT successful.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Makes perfect sense.... Oct 30, 2013

What most translators lack is business skills, as proven, time and again, in most fora here on ProZ (or elsewhere).

So, when some successful translators decide to spend some time to share their knowledge about how to be successful, we get answers like "Anything with 'successful' in the title reeks of low-level marketing guru-influence" or "I refuse to read anything like that".

I personally know Corinne, Judy and Chris. They all are very good translators and professional
... See more
What most translators lack is business skills, as proven, time and again, in most fora here on ProZ (or elsewhere).

So, when some successful translators decide to spend some time to share their knowledge about how to be successful, we get answers like "Anything with 'successful' in the title reeks of low-level marketing guru-influence" or "I refuse to read anything like that".

I personally know Corinne, Judy and Chris. They all are very good translators and professionally very successful.

I'd recommend their books to all translators - especially to beginners, but also to older professionals, who may know very well how to translate, but often know very little about how to manage the business side of our profession and prosper.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:25
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Don't teach granny how to suck eggs Oct 31, 2013

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

I'd recommend their books to all translators ... also to older professionals, who may know very well how to translate, but often know very little about how to manage the business side of our profession and prosper.

"Very little" Gasp...

Us "older professionals" -- at least the ones who post in these polls -- have survived and prospered to this day by virtue of our being able to "manage the business side of translation" without the advice of whippersnappers.
Otherwise, we wouldn't be here voicing our opinions, would we!?

Obviously, you have still to learn how to grasp the three pebbles, grasshopper!

Small typo

[Edited at 2013-10-31 09:13 GMT]

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, unlike those who know it all, I'm still learning Oct 31, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

I'd recommend their books to all translators ... also to older professionals, who may know very well how to translate, but often know very little about how to manage the business side of our profession and prosper.

"Very little" Gasp...

Us "older professionals" -- at least the ones who post in these polls -- have survived and prospered to this day by virtue of our being able to "manage the business side of translation" without the advice of whippersnappers.
Otherwise, we wouldn't be here voicing our opinions, would we!?

Obviously, you have still to learn how to grasp the three pebbles, grasshopper!

Small typo

[Edited at 2013-10-31 09:13 GMT]

Don't know who you are calling a "whippersnapper"... if it is me that would be the first time in quite a long while (I'm fifty-five, and have been working full-time in translation for over twenty-eight years). If it is the authors of the books, it wouldn't be gallant guessing about a lady's age, but they all have long experience in our profession.

But yes, I do still have to learn, I am still learning things every day (and happy to do so until my brain rots away).

For example, I've learned that equating "[being] here voicing our opinions" and "surviving and prospering to this day by virtue of our being able to 'manage the business side of translation'" is a logical fallacy: there is plenty of people here (including people who are not beginners) who are very free with posting their opinions, but that, quite obviously, have yet to learn the business side of things (or there wouldn't be, among other things, all the constant complains about the 'low rates imposed by agencies').

I don't think that dismissing out of hand and belittling books one quite clearly has not read (as was done by several people in this thread) is a sign of wisdom. Quite the contrary.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which is the most useful book for freelance translators?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »