Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many of your clients only pay after you send a reminder?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 20, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many of your clients only pay after you send a reminder?".

View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:31
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
We are in a Oct 20, 2013

pile of whatsit! According to this poll, only 24.3% of us get paid on time.

I wrote:
I hope this percentage increases. Otherwise it will just be indicative of what an appalling state our profession is in.

We are in a deep mess if only 24.3% of customers pay on time.

[Edited at 2013-10-20 14:11 GMT]

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:31
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Just one! Oct 20, 2013

Only one -out of a total of about 20 regular clients- needs more than one reminder, every month. I haven't "left" them yet because we've been working together for about 15 years, I know them personally and I like the jobs they send. But sooner or later I know I'll have to draw a line somewhere, I don't think my patience will last much longer!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
None Oct 20, 2013

At least not usually. I may have had to send a few reminders over the years, but not too many and certainly not regularly. It's not really an issue.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
None Oct 20, 2013

I am also in the group of the lucky ones! The bulk of my customers pay as agreed. Like Neil I may have had to send a few reminders over the years, but not too many and certainly not regularly. Some years ago (10/15 years) I had a payment problem with two Belgian agencies, but my lawyer solved everything quickly.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
None Oct 20, 2013

After I took my parting from those who not only needed reminders, but from the one in püarticular who still owes me a little, all payments come in like clockwork.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It's random! Oct 20, 2013

Sometimes - and this is not generally so rare - the best clients slip, and need a quick reminder.

One of the fastest and most reliable payers once slipped. After my first reminder, he wrote me that he'd be putting a bee under his accountant's hat to remind him. Payment came half an hour later. Ouch!

Those who need more than one reminder are downgraded
... See more
Sometimes - and this is not generally so rare - the best clients slip, and need a quick reminder.

One of the fastest and most reliable payers once slipped. After my first reminder, he wrote me that he'd be putting a bee under his accountant's hat to remind him. Payment came half an hour later. Ouch!

Those who need more than one reminder are downgraded in my priorities list, especially if all or most of their requests are labeled as urgent. Conversely, those that don't need a reminder get both faster service and me walking the extra mile beyond their expectations.

Clients who need to be reminded via Blue Board get suspended from my clients list for 3-5 years. I'll never have time for their needs in this meantime. So far, all those who a had a second chance after this period confirmed my earlier decision. I wonder if it's worth giving them a third chance, but I'll cross that bridge if and when we ever get there.
Collapse

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
None Oct 20, 2013

I stopped collaborating with one agency that needed reminders every single month and with another one that used to be very reliable in the past but unfortunately changed their attitude towards paying on time.

I always deliver on time so I see it as a matter of mutual respect to get paid on time - without reminders.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
English to Polish
None Oct 20, 2013

If we're talking about regular agencies.

It happened on occasion with one-time or not regular agencies.

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
not any more Oct 20, 2013

I weeded out the clients that needed reminders over the years. these days, it is more the other way around! Thanks to nice colleagues who email me to ask when I am sending them my invoice - which I forgot to send)))

Simple rule: Do not work for anyone who treats you without respect.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
These results are incredible! Oct 20, 2013

Maybe it is a cultural thing, but I was brought up to pay on time and deliver my part of the bargain on time - from homework onwards.

Of course we are all human, and I have sent reminders once or twice, but if it begins to happen regularly, I drop the client in question.

Everyone else who sends me invoices expects to get paid on time too.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
We've been lucky lately Oct 21, 2013

We haven't had any payments issues for the last year or so. Like many have already mentioned, we weeded out a lot of our clients and we now enjoy getting paid on time and even early sometimes!

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:31
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
one or two Oct 21, 2013

Most of them pay on time, monthly or upon receipt. One or two take a bit longer and i sent reminders from PROZ.

Elina Sellgren
Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:31
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Depends Oct 21, 2013

One client usually pays on time but once I had to remind them. Some I never have to remind. If it's a one-person outsourcer, I am more understanding because I can relate to how easily you can forget things if you're not superorganized. And even then I sometimes forget. So reminders every now and then are fine, with human beings.

But NOT with an agency. An agency should have its stuff together and have all financial matters so organized that nothing is forgotten or goes missing. And
... See more
One client usually pays on time but once I had to remind them. Some I never have to remind. If it's a one-person outsourcer, I am more understanding because I can relate to how easily you can forget things if you're not superorganized. And even then I sometimes forget. So reminders every now and then are fine, with human beings.

But NOT with an agency. An agency should have its stuff together and have all financial matters so organized that nothing is forgotten or goes missing. And they should not need loans from translators to keep their cash flow going.
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
not his fault... Oct 21, 2013

I have had to remind one client to pay me - they got back to me asking for the invoice - which it turned out I had never sent them in the first place.... They payed promptly upon receipt.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many of your clients only pay after you send a reminder?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »