Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: You are sent work with no advance warning on Friday night to be delivered Monday morning. You...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 13, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "You are sent work with no advance warning on Friday night to be delivered Monday morning. You...".

This poll was originally submitted by Julian Holmes. View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 13, 2013

Check what you've got on over the weekend, see just how much you can screw out of them, and then take a view

[Edited at 2013-09-13 08:56 GMT]

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:09
Member (2006)
German to English
Depends Sep 13, 2013

Hi Julian, have you got a VIP card, this is the third Poll in, wow, a really sort period;-)

Its one of these "it depends" answers.

Depends on the customer, the amount to be translated and the deadline on Monday. Also if you are available at all. I would not necessarily mention surcharges because that is once again a question of the customer. Good customers would offer that without quesion anyway.

If I was available, and could fit it in, then why not

Alexandranow
Alexandranow  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 08:09
Romanian to English
+ ...
depends on... Sep 13, 2013

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "You are sent work with no advance warning on Friday night to be delivered Monday morning. You...".

This poll was originally submitted by Julian Holmes. View the poll results »

Depends on the client, on the charge, and if I have time, because if I had plans that I cannot or do not want to postpone, I do not accept any offer.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on client Sep 13, 2013

It's par for the course chez moi. I have one client in particular who publishes a magazine every 2 months and he's notoriously ad hoc (one colleague reading this will know who I mean). In fact, he's due to rear his ugly head some time in the next week or so, and I just hope it's not this weekend because I'm already busy enough...

I also accept work like that from 4 or 5 of my regular clients (not agencies though). The problem is when they coincide and more than one client turns up,
... See more
It's par for the course chez moi. I have one client in particular who publishes a magazine every 2 months and he's notoriously ad hoc (one colleague reading this will know who I mean). In fact, he's due to rear his ugly head some time in the next week or so, and I just hope it's not this weekend because I'm already busy enough...

I also accept work like that from 4 or 5 of my regular clients (not agencies though). The problem is when they coincide and more than one client turns up, but that doesn't often happen and I can usually juggle them.

PS: I suppose my attitude would be different if I "had a life", but as it stands, I'm normally quite happy to have something fruitful to do at weekends and get paid for it into the bargain.

[Edited at 2013-09-13 08:46 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:09
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends... Sep 13, 2013

I have a handful of reasons to support a particular customer if he ever asks me! For the others, if I'm available maybe...

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Accept and deliver Monday morning ... Sep 13, 2013

... provided that the work can be done over two days. I am happy to work over the weekend.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:09
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Just to let you know... Sep 13, 2013

This is one of my "translator nightmare" series.

This actually happened to me recently. I got an e-mail at 10:30 pm with no advance warning asking (i.e. demanding in my eyes) me to do a task for 8:30am Monday morning. And they don't work weekends so I couldn't verify it.

FYI, this customer is now "recently divorced" for this and other reasons.

This was my original suggested poll:
... See more

This actually happened to me recently. I got an e-mail at 10:30 pm with no advance warning asking (i.e. demanding in my eyes) me to do a task for 8:30am Monday morning. And they don't work weekends so I couldn't verify it.

This was my original suggested poll:

"You are sent work with no advance warning at 10:30 pm Friday night for Monday 9:00 am delivery. You"

Added last 2 lines -- Enjoy!

[Edited at 2013-09-13 11:55 GMT]
Collapse

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
no way Sep 13, 2013

not without confirmation!

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:39
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Depends upon clients Sep 13, 2013

Off course depend upon clients. It often happens with me. When I got email on friday night and work to be delivered on monday morning. If they are regular clients they know well that he is our consistent translator and definitely do work. so no problem for them.

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
It depends... Sep 13, 2013

I am happy to work weekends and often do, but I really don't understand the situation here. The clients I work with (agencies and direct) would ask politely in this situation, and accept a refusal with no bad grace if I was unavailable. I am not "on call" as a freelancer, and even if I were a paid employee I would not be expected to provide such unreasonable availability (unless I was on a zero-hours contract, perhaps). If you have clients that treat you with disrespect then my advice is to dev... See more
I am happy to work weekends and often do, but I really don't understand the situation here. The clients I work with (agencies and direct) would ask politely in this situation, and accept a refusal with no bad grace if I was unavailable. I am not "on call" as a freelancer, and even if I were a paid employee I would not be expected to provide such unreasonable availability (unless I was on a zero-hours contract, perhaps). If you have clients that treat you with disrespect then my advice is to develop a strategy to drop them asap.Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 13, 2013

The most important option was missing: it depends on whether I have the time. To me, that's the only criterion.

I don't mind working on the week-end if I don't have anything important going on, but if I have made firm plans that I'm looking forward to, then I tell the client I'm not available regardless of my relationship with them.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Not without consultation Sep 13, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

Well, no, I do not and cannot as an individual freelancer guarantee to be available at any time to any client. Consultation is needed first.

Debbie Nevo
Debbie Nevo  Identity Verified
Hebrew to English
Do it on Sunday ... Sep 13, 2013

... because in this part of the world, Fri-Sat is the weekend. Sunday is a working day.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:09
English to Polish
Another "depends" Sep 13, 2013

On the client, on my week workload (whether or not I need a couple of days off to rest), on my plans for the weekend.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: You are sent work with no advance warning on Friday night to be delivered Monday morning. You...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »