Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you wear glasses or contact lenses?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Now that's good advice! Sep 7, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

I wear glasses all the time -- and my eyesight has worsened the past few month. Off to the opticians soon.

I would not recommend contact lenses when working in front of a computer.

Static electricity is still generated even by LCD displays. This attracts minute dust particles which are then bounced back at the eyes -- contact lens only cover the cornea and not its surrounding area.
At least with glasses, the glass (plastic) itself does offer protection from this dust.

Made small corrections -- having trouble reading the small letters on screen.

[Edited at 2013-09-07 12:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-07 12:46 GMT]

Thanks, Julian. I'm glad I read your experience here regarding lenses and glasses before my annual visit to my ophthalmologist.

I wear no-line bifocals (you can't tell they're bifocals because there is no division line) for driving and for working in front of the computer. I have a similar prescription minus the bifocal for some 'old' contact lenses that I use on occasion to travel.

I am thinking of getting transition lenses with my new prescription. While Ohio is not sunny California, driving west from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. will hit me with sunglare. Hence the transition lenses.

I am concerned about whether I should get a separate pair of glasses for computer work. I now work with 4 large monitors (3 for my PC, 1 for my Mac) in the 1920x1080 resolution range, which is comfortable.

For those of us who suffer from reading too small a font on a monitor, I suggest adjusting the zoom in/out to your liking. For example, I bump Word to 170% to work on documents, my Outlook emails are set to 14 pt fonts and I use CTRL plus + keys to zoom in on a browser window whenever I do work for my contract client (the translation memory, the machine translation engine, the glossary, the documents being translated are all in the “cloud”).

A friend gave me this advice: to fight tired eyes, look out the window every 20-40 minutes.

The problem is we don't give our eye muscles enough exercise.

Nicola Wood
Nicola Wood  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 04:04
Member (2010)
German to English
Very topical Sep 7, 2013

as my husband and I just paid a visit to the optician to order our new glasses this morning! It was a big hit in the wallet, especially now he needs varifocals, and came out at over 1,000 EUR !

I've been wearing glasses since I was a teenager - so nothing to do with working at the computer, although that doesn't help my dry eye problem - my husband has had them all his life, and both kids now need them, so it really is an expensive business. Would I consider laser surgery? Maybe, b
... See more
as my husband and I just paid a visit to the optician to order our new glasses this morning! It was a big hit in the wallet, especially now he needs varifocals, and came out at over 1,000 EUR !

I've been wearing glasses since I was a teenager - so nothing to do with working at the computer, although that doesn't help my dry eye problem - my husband has had them all his life, and both kids now need them, so it really is an expensive business. Would I consider laser surgery? Maybe, but everybody is used to me in glasses, so I am not sure how they woudl react if I stopped wearing them and, more importantly, I am not sure how I would feel without them to hide behind!
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Sep 7, 2013

And am really happy about it, even though I spend so much time in front of my computer.

Have 2 81 cm monitors (or tv´s) and they are very pleasant to work with.

Touch wood, hope it stays like that too

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 20:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, despite my surgery Sep 7, 2013

I had a myopia surgery many, many years ago, before laser surgery. However, after spending so much time in front of the computer, my eyesight has worsened. My ophthalmologist said it's because of the presbyopia (or something like that), which cannot be operated because of the type of operation I had. So I have to wear glasses to read and work.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
What about short-sighted people? Sep 7, 2013

Missing answer: I'm short-shighted, so I wear glasses only when driving and at the cinema or in similar places.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes Sep 7, 2013

I used to wear glasses at all times or contact lenses. i was extremely nearsighted. I had glasses, contacts and another pair for reading/computer.
Then I got my eyes lasered, now I only have glasses for reading/computer. I have 2020 vision and it was the best thing I ever did.
But I admit, I probably need to remember to rest my eyes more often, especially when working!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Sep 7, 2013

I've worn them since I was 6, and I'm currently at -6.75 in both eyes. I cannot function without glasses.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you wear glasses or contact lenses?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »