Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: To find a word when specific knowledge and research isn’t enough, I fall back on:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
What a question! Jun 8, 2013

I would look at the word in other contexts using Google, and I would infer the meaning - naturally logic plays a part in that process. And as a last resort I would post a question on proz, hoping that someone else may have been stumped by the term in the past.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Other Jun 8, 2013

For me, "specific knowledge and research" will include logic, common sense and a fair dose of intuition. Guess? Never!

KudoZ can be helpful and on the odd occasion when I have asked a question, once you rule out the bad grass, then there are some roses in there. It is often a matter of reading a question in a particular way which will sort the problem out. Two (decent) heads are better than one.

As someone has said above, then a translator's note is sometimes necessar
... See more
For me, "specific knowledge and research" will include logic, common sense and a fair dose of intuition. Guess? Never!

KudoZ can be helpful and on the odd occasion when I have asked a question, once you rule out the bad grass, then there are some roses in there. It is often a matter of reading a question in a particular way which will sort the problem out. Two (decent) heads are better than one.

As someone has said above, then a translator's note is sometimes necessary once all usual solutions have been exhausted.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
I just ask... Jun 8, 2013

If I really get stuck, and none of my normal resources work, I just ask the author (as has already been mentioned). That way the client can explain what they're trying to say and an acceptable alternative can be found, if necessary.

Another good tip is to run spell check on the original, if possible. ^_^

macimovic
macimovic
Netherlands
English to Serbian
+ ...
Logic and intuition Jun 8, 2013

I never guess because it leaves me with that terrible feeling that I may be embarrassingly wrong. In this case, logic combined with intuition proved to work for me.

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm with Jack Jun 9, 2013

Jack Doughty wrote:

Agree with Emma, but if all the suggested methods fail, you may just have to put something like "[untraced word]" plus a translator's note with your thoughts about it. Absolutely the last resort, of course.

Cheers!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 9, 2013

Depends what you mean by "find" a word. I'm keen on brainstorming, whether via proz or similar sites, or friends, colleagues, or even strangers who might be able to help. For example, I once went round some furniture stores asking about the usual terms for certain items, which I found out can vary considerably between companies or manufacturers, retailers, etc. Perhaps this approach simply falls under "research"?

On some occasions, certain imponderables turn out to be due to mistak
... See more
Depends what you mean by "find" a word. I'm keen on brainstorming, whether via proz or similar sites, or friends, colleagues, or even strangers who might be able to help. For example, I once went round some furniture stores asking about the usual terms for certain items, which I found out can vary considerably between companies or manufacturers, retailers, etc. Perhaps this approach simply falls under "research"?

On some occasions, certain imponderables turn out to be due to mistakes or typos, which explains why I couldn't "find" them... which is always a relief!
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Blind leading the blind Jun 9, 2013

Triston Goodwin wrote:

If I really get stuck, and none of my normal resources work, I just ask the author (as has already been mentioned). That way the client can explain what they're trying to say and an acceptable alternative can be found, if necessary.

Good solution, but sometimes even the authors themselves, or the people sending you the text, don't know either....

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Jun 9, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

If "intuition" and "guessing" were grouped together
and
"logic" and "common sense" were also grouped together

then there would be room for the missing options:
- ask the client
- ask a subject expert / ask on a terminology forum

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:48
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kudoz! Jun 10, 2013

I assume that's what's meant by 'terminology forum'. I don't think I recall ever delivering a job without solving all my doubts first. There is always an answer somewhere.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: To find a word when specific knowledge and research isn’t enough, I fall back on:

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »