OmegaT Translations Memory
Thread poster: SCosta
SCosta
SCosta  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 13, 2005

I have a silly question about the OmegaT TM.
Recently I decided to start using OmegaT. I find it easy and helpful but I have a doubt: when I'm translating with OmegaT, this program saves a TM. Does this TM can be used and seen by other person that doesn't have this tool?
I think the other person has Trados...

Hope you can give me a clue about this!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
OmT segments into paragraphs Jan 13, 2005

The OmT differs from all other CAT-tools, in that it does not segment sentences, only paragraphs. So the TM is not compatible to other tools, as far as I know. But I only have it installed, never used it yet.
Regards
Heinrich

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Can Trados handle TMX level 1? Jan 13, 2005

Theoretically, Trados should be able to handle TMX. However, I am not sure if Trados can handle level 1.1 TMX files as this is what OmT produces. One workaround would be to download the (free) TMX editor from Heartsome and to convert it to TMX 1.4. IMHO, this should make it possible for a Trados user to re-use your TM.

As for the segmentation issue Heinrich mentioned, if you pre-segment your document manually before loading it with OmT (or if you use one of the available macros) th
... See more
Theoretically, Trados should be able to handle TMX. However, I am not sure if Trados can handle level 1.1 TMX files as this is what OmT produces. One workaround would be to download the (free) TMX editor from Heartsome and to convert it to TMX 1.4. IMHO, this should make it possible for a Trados user to re-use your TM.

As for the segmentation issue Heinrich mentioned, if you pre-segment your document manually before loading it with OmT (or if you use one of the available macros) the TM will be segmented by sentence. Trados should be able to produce fuzzy matches with this kind of TM. However, I am not sure if Trados will ignore all internal tags, i.e. these tags could influence the level of similarity and return less fuzzy matches than expected. It might be a good idea to remove all internal tags before using an OmT TM with Trados.

HTH.

Sonja

P.S.
BTW, there is a OmegaT mailing list on Yahoo. You might want to have a look there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:14
English to Spanish
Trados and TMX Jan 13, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Hi,

Trados 6.5.5 can import and use TMX 1.4 files produced by Heartsome TMX Editor.

Older versions of Trados are somewhat able to import TMX memories that comply with version 1.1 of TMX DTD. I say "somewhat" because Trados does not use an XML parser and rejects some perfectly valid TU entries when they are not written in Trados preferred format.

There are 3 levels of compatibility in TMX:

- Level 1 means that no formatting tags are included in the translation memory. Any TMX enabled tool should be able to use this memories.

- Level 2 means that formatting tags are included, but there are no guarantees that other tools besides the originating one can use the available tags.

- Level 3 ensures that any tool that supports this level can use the tags included in the TMX document.

Heartsome editors are able to export TMX at Levels 1 and 2. Trados can import Level 1 files generated with Heartsome tools.

I'm not aware of any tool currently supporting TMX at Level 3.

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
a small macro will help Jan 13, 2005

On the OmegaT yahoo groups mailist (like Sonja said) there'a a file repository with several macro's insertable into OpenOffice.org. I use a small macro which segments into sentences and as well, I added all the possible abbreviations (like in other CAT tools) where I don't want that segmentation occurs.

Dragomir

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The OmT differs from all other CAT-tools, in that it does not segment sentences, only paragraphs. So the TM is not compatible to other tools, as far as I know. But I only have it installed, never used it yet.
Regards
Heinrich

SCosta
SCosta  Identity Verified
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Jan 13, 2005

P.S.
BTW, there is a OmegaT mailing list on Yahoo. You might want to have a look there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/[/quote]

Thanks! I find it very useful. Thanks again!!

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
German to English
+ ...
Heartsome - TMX 1.4 Jan 13, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

One workaround would be to download the (free) TMX editor from Heartsome and to convert it to TMX 1.4. IMHO, this should make it possible for a Trados user to re-use your TM.

Not too sure the free version will effect this. If you just open a 1.1 tmx and then save it, even to another file name, it is just saved as a 1.1 tmx. If you merge two tmx's with it, the saved combined tmx is a 1.4, or at least it has tmx version="1.4" at the top (and OmegaT, at least thinks it's a 1.4 and won't open it, though just using a text editor to change the tmx version="1.4" to tmx version="1.1" remedies the problem). So using a very small dummy second tmx to create a merge might be one solution.

From the help files relating to the full-version:

Go to Database menu and click on Export TM Database option to display the Export TM Database interface.

Check the option "Export as TMX Level 1 (No Tags) " if you wish to produce a TMX file that can be used with any other translation tool in addition to those produced by Heartsome.

I have absolutely no experience of Trados, so don't know if it can be fooled as simply as just using a text editor to change version="1.1" to version="1.4" and deleting -!DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx11.dtd"- (including the pointed brackets).

[Edited at 2005-07-09 09:25]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Heartsome TMX editor free? Jan 17, 2005

I'm not quire sure whether Heartsome's TMX editor is free. I know that their XLIFF Editor Lite is free, but it will not let you save a TM, nor attach a TM.

Regards,

Piotr

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:14
English to Spanish
Heartsome TMX Editor LITE 4.0 is free. Jan 17, 2005

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

I'm not quire sure whether Heartsome's TMX editor is free. I know that their XLIFF Editor Lite is free, but it will not let you save a TM, nor attach a TM.

Hi,

Heartsome TMX Editor LITE 4.0 can be freely downloaded from http://www.heartsome.net/EN/tmxdown.html

LITE version does not allow working with TM databases and doesn't let you align document to generate your OWN TMX files, but you can edit TMX documents at will with it.

Heartsome is already distributing version 5.0.2 of its TMX Editor to its registered users. A new Personal Edition will be available to the public at very low cost (US$68) before the end of January. The new PE version includes support for TM databases and document alignment.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
German to English
+ ...
Heartsome Jan 18, 2005

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Regards,

Piotr

The LITE versions of the TMX Editor and the XLIFF Translation Editor are free - the full versions, of course, are not (or if you know where they are, let us know!).

The XLIFF Translation Editor LITE will, I believe, create a tm but not allow its export nor the import of a tm from elsewhere.

The full version seems to have database options as well as tmx.

www.heartsome.net/EN/xlftech.html
www.heartsome.net/EN/tmxtech.html

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT Translations Memory

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »