OmegaT on LinuxMint - is Java Zero Day vulnerability a concern?
Thread poster: Ronja Addams-Moring
Ronja Addams-Moring
Ronja Addams-Moring  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:34
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 28, 2012

I use locally installed OmegaT on a LinuxMint 13 laptop. OmegaT requires Java, and for about the last 48 hours various usually reliably sources have been spreading the message "Uninstall Java - dangerous security vulnerability!" (see link list at the end)

However, when reading the news more carefully, it appears that the malware that exploits this vulnerability AT LEAST THUS FAR has:

a) only been able to exploit Java 7 (not e.g. Java 6)
b) only? been able to explo
... See more
I use locally installed OmegaT on a LinuxMint 13 laptop. OmegaT requires Java, and for about the last 48 hours various usually reliably sources have been spreading the message "Uninstall Java - dangerous security vulnerability!" (see link list at the end)

However, when reading the news more carefully, it appears that the malware that exploits this vulnerability AT LEAST THUS FAR has:

b) only? been able to exploit Oracle's Java 7 (not OpenJRE - ?)
c) only targeted web browsers with Java enabled, and none of my web browser settings allow Java
d) only? attempted to install Windows rootkits/viruses, which naturally would not harm Linux systems

However, as the vulnerability is in (Oracle's ?) Java 7 itself, both Windows, Mac OS/X and Linux systems are vulnerable, and at least on Ubuntu the vulnerability has been tested to be exploitable.

Does anyone here know any deeper details about this particular Zero Day vulnerability and whether anyone has reported that it would be able to infect a system through any other means than through a browser (clicking on a contaminated link while having Java 7 enabled)? Also, how certain is the information that this bug only exists in Oracle's Java, and not in OpenJRE?

Further information:

A fairly good summary, with lots of links: http://www.zdnet.com/java-zero-day-vulnerability-actively-used-in-targeted-attacks-7000003233/

Fairly understandable, longer blog post: http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/java-zero-day-attack-could-hit-enterpris/240006341

The most technically thorough description of this bug I have found thus far: http://erratasec.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/new-java-0day.html
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:34
English to French
+ ...
Unlikely Aug 28, 2012

Ronja Addams-Moring wrote:

The embedded Java provided with OmegaT is Java 1.6.

You can disable your system-wide Java, and still use OmegaT.

b) only? been able to exploit Oracle's Java 7 (not OpenJRE - ?)
c) only targeted web browsers with Java enabled, and none of my web browser settings allow Java
d) only? attempted to install Windows rootkits/viruses, which naturally would not harm Linux systems

However, as the vulnerability is in (Oracle's ?) Java 7 itself, both Windows, Mac OS/X and Linux systems are vulnerable, and at least on Ubuntu the vulnerability has been tested to be exploitable.

Does anyone here know any deeper details about this particular Zero Day vulnerability and whether anyone has reported that it would be able to infect a system through any other means than through a browser (clicking on a contaminated link while having Java 7 enabled)?

To get Java compromised through OmegaT, OmegaT would have to connect to a corrupted server. The only way I can think it could happen is if the user would voluntarily enter the URL in Options > Spell Checking. And even then, I don't think it would work, since OmegaT wouldn't download any .jar from that location.

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT on LinuxMint - is Java Zero Day vulnerability a concern?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »