Help me to download glossary
Thread poster: albaalbetti
albaalbetti
albaalbetti
Italy
Local time: 04:53
Dec 26, 2009

Hi,
I've just learnt to use Omega T as CASE tool for translating.
I'd like to know if and where it's possible to download glossary files (*.tab or *.utf8) to be imported in my project. I've understood that it's possible to edit my own glossary, but I'd like to know if on the web there already exist glossaries to use freely. In particular I'm interested in General and Hi-Tech glossaries in English and Spanish

Thanks to everyone!

Alba

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The glossary feature in CAT tools Dec 26, 2009

albaalbetti wrote:
I'd like to know if and where it's possible to download glossary files (*.tab or *.utf8) to be imported in my project. I've understood that it's possible to edit my own glossary, but I'd like to know if on the web there already exist glossaries to use freely.

The glossary feature in CAT tools is for your own glossaries that you create, either during your entire career on a job by job or client by client basis. It is not a dictionary feature, although nothing stops you from converting dictionaries into glossary files and using them as glossaries.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
There are some glossaries available Dec 26, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
The glossary feature in CAT tools is for your own glossaries that you create, either during your entire career on a job by job or client by client basis. It is not a dictionary feature, although nothing stops you from converting dictionaries into glossary files and using them as glossaries.

There are some glossaries available, notably in the IT domain.
For instance, Mozilla Translation Glossary & References.

All glossaries coming as CSV or spreadsheet format (e.g., Microsoft, Novell) can also be easily converted.

Didier

albaalbetti
albaalbetti
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Converting a dictionary intoa glossary Dec 26, 2009

Thanks.
And so how can I convert a dictionary into a glossary? I've thought it'd be usefull during translating a segment by using Omega T as CAT tool. I mean is it possibile to find a no on line dictionay but as file format to download? Where?

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
If you want a dictionary, use a dictionary Dec 26, 2009

albaalbetti wrote:
And so how can I convert a dictionary into a glossary? I've thought it'd be usefull during translating a segment by using Omega T as CAT tool. I mean is it possibile to find a no on line dictionay but as file format to download? Where?

If what you need is a dictionary, rather than a glossary, I suggest you use a dictionary in Stardict format.
See for instance here:
http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries_dictd-www.freedict.de.php
for English to Spanish and Spanish to English dictionaries.

Didier

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Hack it Dec 26, 2009

albaalbetti wrote:

Thanks.

I've converted about a hundred or so glossaries/dictionaries to spreadsheet format - which is what you need for any CAT. They were all in different formats so there is no general recipe apart from "have a good look at the file and get creative". Some of them were HTML, some MS Word, some Excel (not much converting needed here), some PDF. PDF is usually the worst, but depending formatting, any file can be trivially easy or impossible to convert automatically.

Basics: You usually need to insert a tab between cells and a line break between records. OO.o and MS Word search and replace are pretty good for this.

Say, your glossary goes
computer - computadora; hard drive - disco duro; monitor - monitor; file - archivo

You copy it to Word and replace ; with ^p and replace - with ^t. Then you can save as .txt and you're done. Usually, you'll have to copy the whole thing to a spreadsheet program like Excel and do some corrections/post-editing.
Even if your original is a mess and the only thing you can use to tell English and Spanish terms apart is that one is with a different font, you may be able to use MS Word to sort it into a table. Even italic, bold or font size work as a differentiator.

General dictionaries are usually not easy/possible to download or convert to a CAT friendly format, and they are not that useful, either. Glossaries are a much better target.
Download the Eurovoc and CPV glossaries first, they are both large, fairly general, reasonably good and available in XLS. I don't think you'll want to go more general than that.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Help me to download glossary

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »