How to fix a TOC in Word 2013 created manually (incorrectly)
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:33
Member (2006)
French to English
Sep 10, 2013

Hello, I've translated a large pdf into Word 2013, I realise I have not done the Table of Contents correctly, I created it manually, as I went along, how can I correct it so that I click on each page and it goes to that page (the client's request) - I've translated all of the headers and the ToC - I've looked on some help sites including MS Office but can't find a solution, any suggestions would be very gratefully received, thank you.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Word XP Help Sep 10, 2013

I don't know if this is what you need, or the whole of it, but here's what it says in Word Help (XP)

"Create a table of contents from entries you mark yourself

Use the Mark Table of Contents box to insert TOC fields into your document.
Select the first portion of text that you want to include in your table of contents.
Press ALT+SHIFT+O.
In the Level box, select the level and click Mark.
To mark additional entries, select the text, click in t
... See more
I don't know if this is what you need, or the whole of it, but here's what it says in Word Help (XP)

"Create a table of contents from entries you mark yourself

Use the Mark Table of Contents box to insert TOC fields into your document.
Select the first portion of text that you want to include in your table of contents.
Press ALT+SHIFT+O.
In the Level box, select the level and click Mark.
To mark additional entries, select the text, click in the Entry box, and click Mark. When you're done adding entries, click Close.
Click where you want to insert the table of contents.
On the Insert menu, point to Reference, and click Index and Tables.
Click the Table of Contents tab.
Click the Options button.
In the Table of Contents Options box, click to select the Table entry fields check box.
Clear the Styles and Outline levels check boxes.

Notes
If you're working with a master document, click Expand Subdocuments on the Outlining toolbar before you build or update the table of contents. "

AFAIK, that should solve the problem of creating a TOC from your existing text; HOWEVER, I don't know if this makes the TOC entries automatically into hot links... you may have to try it and see!

[Edited at 2013-09-10 20:41 GMT]
Collapse

Jenny Duthie
France
Member (2006)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much Tony! Sep 10, 2013

Thanks Tony I'll give this a try

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
TOC based on headers Sep 11, 2013

Tony M wrote:

"Create a table of contents from entries you mark yourself"

This is 1 of 3 possible methods that are mentioned in MS Help. But IMO it is recommendable only in special scenarios.

I'd advise to create the TOC based on header formats. Unfortunately I don't know how that method is named in the English Word Help, but there should be a list ("Create a TOC") of the 3 methods.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The trouble with that idea, Rolf... Sep 11, 2013

...is that AFAIK it doesn't create the hot links OP's customer specifically requires: when I create a TOC using header formats (which is what I usually do), it does not allow you to click on the TOC entries and go directly to the page.

To do this requires the use of bookmarks, and I freely confess I have little success when trying to use these!

OP, try looking up 'bookmarks' in Word Help to see if that gives you more what you want?

Jenny Duthie
France
Member (2006)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - solution found Sep 11, 2013

Thanks, I've found the solution, basing it on the header formats.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Hyperlinks ... Sep 11, 2013

Tony M wrote:

...is that AFAIK it doesn't create the hot links OP's customer specifically requires: when I create a TOC using header formats (which is what I usually do), it does not allow you to click on the TOC entries and go directly to the page.

I see a checkbox labeled "Do insert hyperlinks instead of page numbers" (or what ever it is called in English) here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to fix a TOC in Word 2013 created manually (incorrectly)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »