Thread poster: Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:50
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Oct 3, 2009

Hi all, I have written a story which I would like to share with you for your opinions. All comments are most welcome.

A Mother’s Love

As the sun was about to set in the west, a fighter jet roared past Sergeant Gill who was performing the duty of bird watcher by the runway. Sergeant Gill briefly looked up at the MiG 21 and then suddenly something ‘white’ caught his sharp eyes. Moments before a civilian plane had also landed at the same runway and it occurred to him
... See more
Hi all, I have written a story which I would like to share with you for your opinions. All comments are most welcome.

A Mother’s Love

As the sun was about to set in the west, a fighter jet roared past Sergeant Gill who was performing the duty of bird watcher by the runway. Sergeant Gill briefly looked up at the MiG 21 and then suddenly something ‘white’ caught his sharp eyes. Moments before a civilian plane had also landed at the same runway and it occurred to him the powerful rotors of Boeing had sucked a small bird and cut it into minute pieces. ‘Something white’ which he had seen was a female pigeon which was sitting motionless in the drops of blood and remnants of the small bird. Seconds later Sergeant Gill was reporting the sighting of a pigeon sitting in the middle of runway and bird shooter was called up to shot at the bird. Two more fighter jets were lined up for take off and they were instructed by ATC to hold on till the runway was being cleared of bird menace. As the bird shooter Corporal Arvind arrived with his gun, the scene in front of him moved his heart. The female pigeon was sitting beside the clean cut head of a small pigeon, deeply shocked and remorseful and it seemed no amount of sound could chase her away. Lined up jets were roaring to take off. Reluctantly, Corporal Arvind shot in the air but the sound had no effect. To buy some time, Corporal Arvind signalled the duty sweeper to come and clean the remnants of the dead bird and he went near the motionless female pigeon. He picked her up and gently moved his palm over her head. Her eyes were closed as in deep grief. Suddenly Senior Flight Safety Officer, Wing Commander Prabhakar brought his gypsy to a screeching halt near Corporal Arvind. “What makes you take so much time to shoot a single bird?”, he asked with great displeasure. “A mother’s love, sir”, Corporal Arvind replied, “I shot twice at her but she didn’t move at all. Her small chick was cut into pieces by Boeing”. Wing Commander Prabhakar was known as an arrogant man. He didn’t like anything which caused delayed take offs. On any other day, he would have given Corporal Arvind a piece of his mind but he instantly cooled down. He slowly swung his gypsy around and said, “leave her to a safe place and clear the runway fast”.

[Edited at 2009-10-04 00:55 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-04 10:13 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Ondarcuhu
Maria Ondarcuhu
Local time: 22:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
"A small story to share with you." Oct 3, 2009

It touched my heart. A very nice story, indeed
Maria

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:20
English to French
+ ...
I love it Oct 3, 2009

This is a beautiful story. I love it. It would make a nice Mother's Day story to pass around by e-mail. Now, if only it were a true story... But I guess that would bother many a frequent flyer!

Since you seem to be the kind who would appreciate this kind of website, here is a link to a site about animals, motherly love and living on a
... See more
This is a beautiful story. I love it. It would make a nice Mother's Day story to pass around by e-mail. Now, if only it were a true story... But I guess that would bother many a frequent flyer!

Since you seem to be the kind who would appreciate this kind of website, here is a link to a site about animals, motherly love and living on a farm, as a sign of appreciation for your story: http://www.foodiefarmgirl.blogspot.com/

The pictures on that site are breathtaking, too.

Cheers!
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Beautiful story Oct 3, 2009

and I love Corporal Arvind!

Did this really happen?

Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:20
Italian to English
Very moving Oct 3, 2009

Since you've asked for comments, I can't help acting as a proofreader! Can I suggest:

... but the sound had no effect. To buy some time, ...

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:20
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not always birds Oct 3, 2009

I once had to translate an air accident report in which the powerful rotors of a Boeing had sucked in an engineer and cut him into minute pieces.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:20
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks, jelly-gill Oct 3, 2009

For this wonderful and touching story!

BR,

Nicole

[Edited at 2009-10-03 21:17 GMT]

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Beautiful Oct 3, 2009

The description of the mother was really lovely. Thank you.

Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill  Identity Verified
India
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your encouraging words Oct 4, 2009

To Juliana and Nicole and Maria: Thanks for your kind words.

To Russel Jones: Thank you sir for your proofing suggestions and I have implemented these now.

To Lucia : Thanks Lucia. In fact Corporal Arvind in question was 'me'.

To Victoria: Thanks for sharing with me this great site.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
Nice story Oct 4, 2009

Sergeant Gill? Is he related to you, by any chance?

Keep writing!

steph_cuevas
steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2010)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Keep up the good work!! Oct 4, 2009

Nice story simple but heartfelt. This only proves that even the smallest thing in the world matters. The greatest love of all is mother's love.

Kudoz to you Jelly!You are a genius!Take care!

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
Wonderful Oct 4, 2009

So short, so beautiful, I read it three times in a row and I actually brought a tear to my eye.

A wonderful message to all of us. I wish more people would take the time to feel like you did that day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A small story to share with you: "A Mother’s Love"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »