Thread poster: David Jessop
Catherine Jan (X)
Catherine Jan (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:10
French to English
I like both 2 and 3 May 17, 2010

I like the second and third pictures.

I finally got up the nerve to put up my own picture. A photo gives your profile and website a personal touch and I think that clients find pictures reassuring.

Good luck,
Catherine

Victor Zagria
Victor Zagria
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
David, May 17, 2010

'Barba non facit philosophum'!
At the age of 47 I look like a 32 (some women say i'm 28 even!). I myself don't like when someone apparently much younger than me addresses me 'Hey man!..' and I try to grow 'barba' so as to look older (thus more experienced and - obviously - knowledgeable). It all depends on the situation and the 'reciepient' of the 'content' our appearance conveys, anyway. Me think.).

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Snap? May 17, 2010

Isn't photo no. 2 precisely the photo that you are displaying on your profile page now.

I think you great, there's no need to change it. I think I'm a little young looking too, buy being female I really can't complain.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Never mind... May 17, 2010

When I originally posted I didn't realize there were 3 more pages of posts.... so my comment was outdated by the time it was posted.

[Edited at 2010-05-17 20:48 GMT]

Aleksandar Stanković
Aleksandar Stanković
North Macedonia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Interesting point May 17, 2010

Now you've got me second-guessing my picture choice. It somehow fails to communicate the fact that beneath these boyish looks lies a person of infinite wisdom, aptitude and modesty

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
really May 18, 2010

Guys, what it's really about - obsequiousness?

A picture is just a paraverbal miniature others can judge by association with.
Different people have different preferences and associations, so you can't please them all. But is the only way to "seem" professional is to use a "grey wise man" pic?

Funny, but most undoubtfully outstanding people neither did, nor do "look" professional. Just imagine that Einstein's pic with his tongue out...

Cheers)

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
BU May 18, 2010

DZiW wrote:

Funny, but most undoubtfully outstanding people neither did, nor do "look" professional. Just imagine that Einstein's pic with his tongue out...

Cheers)

DZiW's words echo wisdom. What matters is not how you want others to see you, but how you see yourself. If you're comfortable with your picture, then use it. There are many advantages coming with the young looks - say, "you are a versatile connoisseur of major translation software and file formats", for a start.

It's obvious that your old picture was bothering you - just change it. Whatever you feel uncomfortable with, change it. But the thing is - I would not be looking too much at your picture when hiring, rather your CV and expertise. If we speak serious business, you might as well put a dead cat for your profile pic.

(Btw, my photo is also 5-6 years old and I just don't want to accept the fact that I'm changing... )

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does my pic make me look "too young?"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »