Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:56
English to French
+ ...
Apr 14, 2005

Hi,

I have outsourced a Russian translation of a website and after tweaking with the charset I manage to have it displayed correclty on my IE locally.

However, when I upload it, it doesnt look ok. Is there anything special to take into account to upload cyrillic pages?

Should the upload be in binary or Ascii or anything else.

See how it looks her
... See more
Hi,

I have outsourced a Russian translation of a website and after tweaking with the charset I manage to have it displayed correclty on my IE locally.

However, when I upload it, it doesnt look ok. Is there anything special to take into account to upload cyrillic pages?

Should the upload be in binary or Ascii or anything else.

See how it looks here:

http://www.mikebastin.com/ru/www.wallingfords.com/

Any help would be welcome.

Mike

[Edited at 2005-04-14 22:47]
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
you need to select encoding in your browser Apr 14, 2005

with Cyrillic - Windows-1251 your site looks OK.

HTH
Magda

Michael Bastin
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Magda Apr 14, 2005

What I don't understand is when I visit Russian pages, they display fine without my having to change anything.

This is why I am puzzled, I thought adding in the code would force the browser to understand which language it should display.

Mike

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 09:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
Enable Russian support in MS Windows XP, and Russian text appears fine Apr 15, 2005

Greetings.

Although I rarely work into Russian or other Cyrillic scripts, I enabled the Russian support feature inside MS Windows XP and then clicked on that hyperlink in your post.

That hyperlinked page of Russian text opened and displayed OK.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish, and Farsi)
San Pedro, California, USA

April 14, 2005

Michael Bastin
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Locally fine Apr 15, 2005

As I said, it reads fine locally. Only when it is online, it becomes unreadable.

I have checked a russian website www.rambler.ru and it looks just fine on my system without any change to see it correctly. I'd like to achieve the same result.

I never manage Russian projects, but this name I figured I would give it a try.

[Edited at 2005-04-15 05:39]

Yuri Yuri
Yuri Yuri
Local time: 19:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Lacking one tag in your html Apr 15, 2005

The solution is simpler - I didn't find the meta-tag IN your HTML page describing the language the page is written in , so there's no way for a browser to automatically choose the right codepage. Place the charset=your_codepage_name_here in meta tag and all browsers will display the page OK.
In my Mozilla it doesn't show right as well. Below is example of such meta-tag , it's placed beside other meta tags (here for Russian I used
... See more
The solution is simpler - I didn't find the meta-tag IN your HTML page describing the language the page is written in , so there's no way for a browser to automatically choose the right codepage. Place the charset=your_codepage_name_here in meta tag and all browsers will display the page OK.
In my Mozilla it doesn't show right as well. Below is example of such meta-tag , it's placed beside other meta tags (here for Russian I used utf-8 codepage ).

meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"

[Edited at 2005-04-15 09:55]

[Edited at 2005-04-15 10:02]
Collapse

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Unicode Apr 15, 2005

Dear Michael

I guess that's a good illustration to show the diifference between a professional and an amateur.

Michael Bastin wrote:
I have checked a russian website www.rambler.ru and it looks just fine on my system without any change to see it correctly. I'd like to achieve the same result.

I'm not programmer, but I think the solution for that is Unicode. At least that's how my former colleagues (IT-people) solved problem with displaying at the sametime Cyrillics and Scandics like ä ö å.

Apparently the webpage wasn't tested in Mozilla either.

Best regards
Natalia

Aleksandr Surkov
Aleksandr Surkov
Estonia
Local time: 19:56
English to Russian
+ ...
If you has FrontPage, do following procedure: Apr 15, 2005

File > Properties > Language
Page language > Russian
HTML encoding > Cyrillic
Reload the current document > Automatic Encoding

I don't know this procedure for other software.

Michael Bastin
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Amateur, in Rusian yes Apr 16, 2005

Hi Nathalia,

I may be an amateur in Russian localization indeed, but I have managed over lots of translation projects and created over 10 multilingual websites.

Now, http://www.wallingfords.com/ru/ looks fine when the encoding is switched to Cyrillic on Internet. I would have expected a Russian system to have it displayed correclty without switching encoding.

Now, it
... See more
Hi Nathalia,

I may be an amateur in Russian localization indeed, but I have managed over lots of translation projects and created over 10 multilingual websites.

Now, http://www.wallingfords.com/ru/ looks fine when the encoding is switched to Cyrillic on Internet. I would have expected a Russian system to have it displayed correclty without switching encoding.

Now, it seems the server might be at fault, which is an element I didn't think of. It normally should switch to the right encoding. I'll check with the web hosting company.

Thanks

Mike
Collapse

Michael Bastin
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
End of the story Apr 26, 2005

The problem was the server itself. The host provided needed to add an automated recognition of the cyrillic charset.

So problem is now solved.

Thanks

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upload of Cyrillic web pages

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »