أوكرانيا
Local time: 13:53
عضو (2004)
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Very simple Feb 6, 2005

sarmb wrote:
You want that people treat each other more friendly and that they do not comment on e.g. bad English etc. As you will realize, my English is also far away from being good.
In my opinion you are not far away from being disparaging in your contributions. You might argue that your comments
(luckily, I'm not in your pair)....I just wonder if you propose your neighbors who suffer or witness a law violations just to "pass it by and forget it"...
Siegfried

Dear Siegfried,

The point is when I see a violation of proZ rules and when I call for moderators' help, I don't want to hear: "just pass it by". The point is that for 2 years I've been at proZ everything I hear from Mats is "take it easy and just pass by". I'm tired of it.

In real life, when we see a law violation, we refer to police. Here, we have moderators. I just want moderators _ to act_, not to explain me that I have to live and let live. Sorry, I'm not going to let live people who don't let _me_ live.

For me, Mats' position is a consistent escape of his responsibilities as a moderator. If he's a moderator, he must act, he must react, not just tell me "live and let live".

That's the point.

[Edited at 2005-02-06 21:34]

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
السويد
Local time: 12:53
عضو (2000)
ألماني إلى سويدي
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Please observe: I do not say: "Just leave it!" Feb 6, 2005

What I'm saying is:

It is not compulsory to answer questions

You should be lucky if you were in my language pair because in 5 years we have not had a single skirmish in KudoZ.
In 5 years I have had one in English>Swedish and one a few days ago i English>Danish.
The latter excited me to a level, which maybe made me more fervent than usual.

I am astounded that grown-up translators cannot focus on a language question.
Instead they star
... See more
What I'm saying is:

It is not compulsory to answer questions

You should be lucky if you were in my language pair because in 5 years we have not had a single skirmish in KudoZ.
In 5 years I have had one in English>Swedish and one a few days ago i English>Danish.
The latter excited me to a level, which maybe made me more fervent than usual.

I am astounded that grown-up translators cannot focus on a language question.
Instead they start assuming a lot about the asker ("not serious", "a play-around", "obviously a student", "obviously someone, who hasn't got a clue" (Dec 22 2003), "someone who is obviously abusing the site" etc, etc)
or
grading the question (instead of the answer): "ridiculous", "of no linguistic value", "too simple - doesn't he have a dictionary", "can't you use Google?" and similar.

We are many who think we're back in the sandpit when we hear all these comments and as one of the older KudoZers around I feel it a duty to tell all that this is the supreme principle of all in the KudoZ domain:

If you don't like a question: Disregard it!

If you like to call it that, I am driving a "tedious campaign" for which I'm reaping increasing understanding and I hope that you Kirill, on reflection, can agree that it is avery sound, simple and friendly principle.

As long as it not listed as THE umbrella principle for KudoZ, I'm going to tout it.

Asking questions is no crime, answering questions is no crime - or are they?

Focus on the question is my simple advice.

Mats

[Edited at 2005-02-07 23:09]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
بولندا
Local time: 12:53
عضو (2002)
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...

مشرف
مترجم الموقع
Misunderstanding Feb 6, 2005

Sorry guys, there seems to be some misunderstanding in the point of this discussion. The thread was NOT about answering KudoZ questions, so I am locking it.

[Edited at 2005-02-07 09:10]

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new pattern of annoying conduct

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »