How to decide how many points to award to an answer?
Auteur du fil: Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Local time: 05:22
anglais vers italien
+ ...
Dec 9, 2004

I apologize in advance if this has been covered already, I could not find anything in the archives...
Can someone explain the criteria for awarding points to selected answers? Why for example some get 1 point, and some 3, or 4?
I suspect it is a silly question, but I have been wondering...
Giuliana

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-12-09 16:11]

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexique
Local time: 22:22
allemand vers anglais
Points awarded for KudoZ Dec 9, 2004

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce wrote:

I apologize in advance if this has been covered already, I could not find anything in the archives...
Can someone explain the criteria for awarding points to selected answers? Why for example some get 1 point, and some 3, or 4?
Giuliana

Not a silly question at all, Giuliana. As far as I know, there are no specific criteria for deciding how many points to award. It's up to the asker to decide how useful the selected answer was in a particular instance. However, I think a trend has been established to award 4 points almost always. I actually appreciate it when someone decides to award 2 points or 3 because it shows the asker is conscientious.

http://www.proz.com/kudozrules

Best wishes, Kim

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 06:22
allemand vers roumain
+ ...
how it was before Dec 9, 2004

The site design was changed a while ago, and before the change, there were the following criteria for grading answers:

Grading key :
4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)
3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking
2: Answer was acceptable
1: Answer was somewhat helpful

I have changed to the old design to grade a question, so I could get the grading key above.
... See more
The site design was changed a while ago, and before the change, there were the following criteria for grading answers:

Grading key :
4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)

I have changed to the old design to grade a question, so I could get the grading key above.

I hope this answers your question. Even though these rules are not listed anymore, they are still used (I am also applying them sometimes)
Collapse

giogi
giogi
well, as far as I know... Dec 9, 2004

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce wrote:

Giuliana

It should be that 4 is for well-grounded answers, that is answers justified by evidence (reliable sources such as web sites, printed material...)

As for 3/2/1 my mind is a bit "hazy"...I mean I cannot really see any differences between 3 and 2, or 2 and 1....but maybe somebody else can help you and...me aswell!
Cheers
Giovanna

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
anglais vers italien
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
Satisfactory answer Dec 9, 2004

Many thanks to all of you who have replied, I am a bit the wiser now.
Giuliana

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chili
Local time: 00:22
Membre (2002)
espagnol vers français
+ ...
The answer is still there Dec 9, 2004

When grading a question you have a little window for your comment. On the left there's the grade (1-4). Above it there's a little square which links to a help window:

KudoZ grading scale

When deciding how many points to award, please consider this scale as a guideline:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (... See more
When grading a question you have a little window for your comment. On the left there's the grade (1-4). Above it there's a little square which links to a help window:

KudoZ grading scale

When deciding how many points to award, please consider this scale as a guideline:

Not very visible, I agree

Claudia
Collapse

giogi
giogi
Claudia is right, but... Dec 9, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Claudia[/quote]
the problems persists...
What's the difference between "acceptable" and "somewhat helpful"?
What is the point of a grading scale sustained by such a vague link between a number and its translation into a clear system of evaluation?
Giovanna

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chili
Local time: 00:22
Membre (2002)
espagnol vers français
+ ...
Maybe an English native could answer better Dec 9, 2004

Giovanna Rampone, PhD wrote:
Claudia Iglesias wrote:

What's the difference between "acceptable" and "somewhat helpful"?[/quote]

But the difference I see is that acceptable might be used in the translation if you didn't find a better term, and "somewhat helpful" would be something that I can't use in my translation but helped me to go to the sites in which I found the good answer.

Anyway, there are so many answers graded with 4 points that I'm not sure that even those who know the meaning of the scale apply it, so I wouldn't worry.

Claudia

giogi
giogi
Thanks Claudia.... Dec 9, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

But the difference I see is that acceptable might be used in the translation if you didn't find a better term, and "somewhat helpful" would be something that I can't use in my translation but helped me to go to the sites in which I found the good answer.

Anyway, there are so many answers graded with 4 points that I'm not sure that even those who know the meaning of the scale apply it, so I wouldn't worry.

Claudia

but what I mean is not a matter of language...Your interpretation may be correct but it is anyway "your interpretation" and therefore supporting the fact that a clear rationale for grading the answers does not exist at all.
But this is just for discussion's sake, and you'r right we should not be so worried about it.
A bunch of thanks
Giovanna

[Edited at 2004-12-09 14:42]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Danemark
Local time: 06:22
Membre (2003)
danois vers anglais
+ ...
My private scale... Dec 9, 2004

This is my totally unofficial private scale...

4. Wow! Thanks, really brilliant, just what I needed, and I've learnt something new.

3. Great. Confirmed what I thought myself or could have found if I had
... See more
This is my totally unofficial private scale...

4. Wow! Thanks, really brilliant, just what I needed, and I've learnt something new.

3. Great. Confirmed what I thought myself or could have found if I had more time to spend.

Straight dictionary answers, or answers that need some checking, but are definitely usable.

2. Answers I use when I'm in a hurry, or because nothing else turns up. I have to add a note in the translation, but it's better than nothing, or it sent me in the right direction.

1. (I've never used this in practice).
Thanks for trying, probably fine in some situations, but not quite what I was asking for!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to decide how many points to award to an answer?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »