Ann Bishop (X)
Ann Bishop (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2004

Hi everyone:

I have recently downloaded a free software program called Skype.

If you have a PC with Microsoft 2000 or XP, a sound card, speakers, and headset, you can call anyone who has Skype installed on their machine anywhere in the world for free.

I call my dad in Belgium all the time now, and the quality is great.

Please check www.skype.com for more system req
... See more
Hi everyone:

If you have a PC with Microsoft 2000 or XP, a sound card, speakers, and headset, you can call anyone who has Skype installed on their machine anywhere in the world for free.

Please check www.skype.com for more system requirements and info.

I love it, so I just wanted to pass this info along.

--Ann
Collapse

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
Local time: 22:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Apr 8, 2004

Thank you.
Saving on our phone bills is always good.
Pam

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
Now sit back and wait for the hassle Apr 8, 2004

Hi Ann,

I've got Skype too.

Pretty soon you'll be inundated with calls from unknown punters with nothing better to do than talk to strangers.

I'm hardly ever home at the moment so it doesn't bother me, but if you're at the keyboard all day -aaaargh!

However, I do agree it is handy for having long free chats with my daughter in Spain.

Ann Bishop wrote:

Hi everyone:

Please check www.skype.com for more system requirements and info.

I love it, so I just wanted to pass this info along.

--Ann

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:37
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you very much Apr 9, 2004

Dear Ann,
Thank you for sharing this with us. I downloaded the program, but I was not able to connect. My computer has a sound card, however, I do not have a dial up internet. Does this make a difference? Well, I should probably ask the people at Skype. However, Thank you again.
Monika

Ann Bishop wrote:

Hi everyone:

--Ann

nettranslatorde
nettranslatorde
Russian to German
+ ...
Thanks, but... Apr 9, 2004

...you can also install Microsoft Messenger or Paltalk. Both work great. We usually use these for long term calls to any country in the world where we have friends or relatives....they are even better when you have DSL and are online all the time

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:37
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Weird calls... Apr 9, 2004

I agree that Skype is quite fantastic and it saves me a lot of money considering I have a daughter living in Copenhagen and another in Greece - but when I forget to turn it off I DO get a lot of weird calls from strangers!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not free, but very cheap I agree. Apr 9, 2004

Ann Bishop wrote:

1. Can you use Skype even when you've only got a modem but no ISP? AFAIK you need at least an ISP (for which there usually is a monthly charge).

2. Keep in mind that these calls are "free" only if you live in a country where local calls are free (and your ISP is sufficiently local) or where calls to an ISP are free.

Still... it should be interesting. The web site claims near no-lag at 33 kbps. I'm definitely going to try it out.

I wonder how the software deals with modem disconnects in mid conversation (does it cache the speech or does it warn you to pause while it reconnects or does it reconnect at all, and does the recipient's computer know to wait, etc).

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:37
Georgian to English
+ ...
It ought to work anyway - using dial-up internet or otherwise May 2, 2004

Monika Coulson wrote:

Dear Ann,
Thank you for sharing this with us. I downloaded the program, but I was not able to connect. My computer has a sound card, however, I do not have a dial up internet. Does this make a difference? Well, I should probably ask the people at Skype. However, Thank you again.
Monika

Ann Bishop wrote:

Hi everyone:

--Ann

It seems to work for me so far, judging by a very brief trial.
Later: a second trial didn't seem to work properly, but maybe I was doing something wrong?

To Dinny & David,
There seem to be options to restrict being called to contacts or callers who you have authorized, so hopefully this would prevent strange calls from anyone one didn't know, at least.
Giuli~

[Edited at 2004-05-02 16:04]

[Edited at 2004-05-02 17:08]

Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)
Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:37
English to Danish
+ ...
Stop calls from strangers Jun 25, 2004

Dinny wrote:

I agree that Skype is quite fantastic and it saves me a lot of money considering I have a daughter living in Copenhagen and another in Greece - but when I forget to turn it off I DO get a lot of weird calls from strangers!

If you don't want strangers to call you, click on File, Options, and the tab Privacy. Check off the box "Accept only calls from people whom I have authorized", and Voila, your stranger calling days should be over.

All the best,
Alice

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »