Off topic: Beware! Phishing attempt with Facebook's image!
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:50
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 3, 2009

As I reckon many of you have Facebook accounts, I thought I would report a phishing attemp using Facebook's image and name. I just received this email, which looks genuine, but if you check its properties and source it is clear as water that it is fake. It contains the following text:

Dear Facebook user,
In an effort to make your online experience safer and more enjoyable, Facebook will be implementing a new login system that will affect all Facebook users. These changes will offer new features and increased account security.
Before you are able to use the new login system, you will be required to update your account.
Click here to update your account online now.
If you have any questions, reference our New User Guide.
Thanks,
The Facebook Team

Do not respond to the email or click the button! They will capture your Facebook login data!!

Just classical phishing practices: they don't know your name but imitate the whole image of the affected company. If you click the button it takes you to a website in the domain www.facebook.com.pppiod.eu. According to whois, this domain is registered by this person, in case you want to call the guy if you are stolen your Facebook identity:

Graham Pearman
79 avery road sutton coldfield
3491 Birmingham
Belgium
+32 1014674173
[email protected]

[Edited at 2009-11-03 09:54 GMT]

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
Thanks Tomas Nov 3, 2009

If this mail has gone out to gazillions of people, then our Graham (who may know nothing about the whole thing) is in for a very bad week...

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Domain owner is responsible Nov 3, 2009

Damian Harrison, M.A. wrote:
If this mail has gone out to gazillions of people, then our Graham (who may know nothing about the whole thing) is in for a very bad week...

Well, he is apparently the owner of the domain the phishing email takes you to, so he is either directly or indirectly responsible of the use of the domain for phishing practices...

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Birmingham? In Belgium? Nov 3, 2009

Since when?

Thanks for the warning, Tomas. I'll pass the information along...

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Attempt to connect: browser warning Nov 3, 2009

All my browsers display more or less the same message when I make attempts to connect to this site (without the "facebook.com" subdomain thing):

La page que vous essayez d'ouvrir a été mise dans une liste noire comme étant frauduleuse. Cette page peut essayer de vous voler des données personnelles ou des informations financières. (Name of browser) vous déconseille fortement de visiter cette page.

The page you are trying to open has been put on a blacklis
... See more
All my browsers display more or less the same message when I make attempts to connect to this site (without the "facebook.com" subdomain thing):

La page que vous essayez d'ouvrir a été mise dans une liste noire comme étant frauduleuse. Cette page peut essayer de vous voler des données personnelles ou des informations financières. (Name of browser) vous déconseille fortement de visiter cette page.

The page you are trying to open has been put on a blacklist as being fraudulent. This page may try to steal personal data or financial information. (Name of browser) strongly discourages you from visiting this page.

Edit: I am speaking of Safari 4 and Opera 10; Firefox 3.5 simply returns a 403 error ("Forbidden - You don't have permission to access / on this server.")

[Edited at 2009-11-03 10:55 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, please use browsers that add to your safety! Nov 3, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Indeed! I haven't tried with my browsers (IE and Google Chrome), but this could be a good moment to encourage everyone to use browsers that have anti-phishing features and to have such features enabled! Thanks for the comment Laurent!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Thanks for the warning, Tomás! Nov 3, 2009

Thansk for the warning, Tomás! I received this phishing email too, but deleted it immediately as my filter put it in the Spam folder. Any chance to determine the real location of Birmingham, Belgium through the IP address of the sender? Because this phishing attempt means that our contact information on FB is not safe...

[Edited at 2009-11-03 11:04 GMT]

Laura Arias
Laura Arias
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I received it too... Nov 3, 2009

Any useful address fo notice Facebook against them?

I couldn't find any as the one that banks have.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware! Phishing attempt with Facebook's image!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »