Equipment for transcription of audio files
Thread poster: Sarah Gregg
Sarah Gregg
Sarah Gregg  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:41
Italian to English
Sep 23, 2008

This is my first post in this forum, so before I explain my problem... hello everyone.
I usually translate (Italian to English), but I've just been asked by a regular client if I'd also transcribe several long to very long audio files of a conference. I have done this sort of work before, but way back in the days of cassettes and foot operated playback machines which obviously aren't relevant now that everything is done wit
... See more
This is my first post in this forum, so before I explain my problem... hello everyone.
I usually translate (Italian to English), but I've just been asked by a regular client if I'd also transcribe several long to very long audio files of a conference. I have done this sort of work before, but way back in the days of cassettes and foot operated playback machines which obviously aren't relevant now that everything is done with mp3 files. As the recordings are not excellent quality, I wouldn't dream of trying voice recognition, but the idea of transcribing simply listening to the audio on the headphones and stopping typing to start and stop playback every few words is daunting! If it's an obvious question, I'm sorry... but does a foot operated digital equivalent of the old playback machine exist for this sort of work? Many thanks for any advice, Sarah.
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Express Scribe Sep 23, 2008

Start with the free program Express Scribe. You can start, stop and rewind with hotkeys from within Word.

This may be enough for your needs, or you may wish to also invest in a foot pedal.

Elin Davies
Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
Express Scribe too Sep 23, 2008

I've used this for transcription work on the recommendation of the agency I do the work for. There is a box in the programme where you can type as you listen so you don't have to switch between windows and it automatically saves what's been typed, but it's slightly frustrating in that the usual word shortcuts don't always work in it (eg ctrl + back arrow key goes back to the beginning of therecording). If you're working on a big project (mine are always quite small) you can splash out on a pedal... See more
I've used this for transcription work on the recommendation of the agency I do the work for. There is a box in the programme where you can type as you listen so you don't have to switch between windows and it automatically saves what's been typed, but it's slightly frustrating in that the usual word shortcuts don't always work in it (eg ctrl + back arrow key goes back to the beginning of therecording). If you're working on a big project (mine are always quite small) you can splash out on a pedal to use with it.Collapse

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Pedals... Sep 23, 2008

GoodWords wrote:

Start with the free program Express Scribe. You can start, stop and rewind with hotkeys from within Word.

This may be enough for your needs, or you may wish to also invest in a foot pedal.

This is the foot pedal I use, along with Express Scribe too!
Foot Pedal Controls

Sarah Gregg
Sarah Gregg  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 24, 2008

Perfect, just what I was looking for. I've already downloaded the programme and today I'll do some tests. I'll probably go for the footpedal as well. Thanks to you all, Sarah.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Equipment for transcription of audio files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »