Thread poster: Anne Lee
Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 05:29
English to Russian
+ ...
Not in my lifetime Jul 2, 2007

.........Translator A: Complete profile, telephone and fax listed, website listed, email listed, picks up the phone right away when I call...............

Unless it is a company office.... May have not even gone to a grocery store for 3 days in fear to lose his first client:-). Sorry, a huge and not so nice exaggeration but you never know. Don't judge it all by appearance.

I don't know any experienced colleague who would jump and say "Ay-ay, Sir, you'll get it tomorrow"
... See more
.........Translator A: Complete profile, telephone and fax listed, website listed, email listed, picks up the phone right away when I call...............

Unless it is a company office.... May have not even gone to a grocery store for 3 days in fear to lose his first client:-). Sorry, a huge and not so nice exaggeration but you never know. Don't judge it all by appearance.

I don't know any experienced colleague who would jump and say "Ay-ay, Sir, you'll get it tomorrow" in response to an urgent phone call from a new client. I have trouble pushing them to cover for me when I need them! They are busy! and will start negotiating deadlines or will decline. I, for one, certainly do not operate like that. I prefer to have a nice grace period of establishing a new relationship and be prepared for the new work in all senses - discussing projects, glossaries, chance and time to read reference materials etc. At least a grace period of 1 day:-). Plus, I'm not interested in 500 urgent words at 3 in the morning without some serious prospect for serious work in future. I need my time to investigate the client.

Proz.com is not an agency or a parent company, it is a venue. It bears no responsibility for any payment and/or other business issues, including privacy, or any other relationship between the vendor and the outsourcer. All my contact numbers and addresses are personal and the oursourcers who come here must understand what freelancing is or might be all about. 2 phone lines? I have no hardline at all and don't need it.

I have everything - pocket PC with loaded Skype, Yahoo messenger, 2 extra email accounts etc. but only proven serious clients with open propositions will get an access to any or all of it and will never lose me should we start cooperating successfully. 1 hour will be maximum before I get back with them from anywhere in the world (time before my break in case of consec assignment, and 30 min for simo), and all my steady clients will always be aware of my whereabouts far in advance should I be out of reach. Write me through my profile and we'll talk, responsibly and legally binding, if there will be anything to talk about in the first place. I even might choose to politely decline the offer using my backup email address instead of replying directly. If I need you I'll find you, don't you worry:-). If they don't understand, they are not worth messing with.

You guys are too obssessed with appearances. May I remind you that con artists can not be beaten in that department:-) You take it upon yourselves to be judgemental regarding personal choices of conducting business and convicting translators on circumstantial evidence. Your loss, believe me. Why would anyone worry that I might get less clients with the lack of detail, or a cat picture, or a funny nick? Let me worry about it, OK? You are free to move on to the next on the list. I don't want anyone to screen me behind my back.

In fact I'm happy to repel most of the clients hunting here, and the ones who keep in mind not just their personal interests but issues with identity theft protection and other sound business practices find me all right. I don't have a rich uncle and I don't want to search for good collection agencies.

The one who steps in the room with people already in it must say "good afternoon" first. That's what my grandma taught me:-).

Regards,
Irene

[Edited at 2007-07-02 21:48]
Collapse

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:29
French to English
+ ...
Exactly Jul 3, 2007

Totally in agreement with you, Irene!

Patricia

Iris Shalev
Iris Shalev  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Email address is always hidden Jul 3, 2007

I wouldn't mind displaying my email addresses, but the profile doesn't let me. My email addresses are permanently hidden and there are no little arrows that let you change the visibility.

Iris.

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:29
English to Croatian
+ ...
Irene has spoken Jul 3, 2007

Nothing to add. Good onya, Irene!

Kemal

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:29
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Cannot display email address Oct 10, 2007

I wouldn't mind displaying my email addresses, but the profile doesn't let me. My email addresses are permanently hidden and there are no little arrows that let you change the visibility.

I have the same problem as Iris above, solution anyone?

Regards

Mihailo

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The importance of making basic contact details available

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »