PROZ.COM COVID-19 RESOURCE CENTER
Access Covid-19 jobs, answer relevant terminology questions, read industry news and more.

How getting the German "Eszett"?
Thread poster: Annemarie Weijer

Annemarie Weijer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:54
Dutch to German
+ ...
Feb 13, 2017

Hi,

As a translator in German I am a user of Wordfast Pro (version 4.10.2). Operating system is Windows 10. I am trying to get the German "Eszett" in a Wordfast document, but I do not succeed. I want to use the key combination ALT-s for the Eszett. Therefore, I have already changed in Wordfast the shortcut ALT-s in ALT-SHIFT-s, so the way for the wanted ALT-s combination is free. Is there a way in Wordfast to get the Eszett in the way I want to? If not, what should I do to succeed i
... See more
Hi,

As a translator in German I am a user of Wordfast Pro (version 4.10.2). Operating system is Windows 10. I am trying to get the German "Eszett" in a Wordfast document, but I do not succeed. I want to use the key combination ALT-s for the Eszett. Therefore, I have already changed in Wordfast the shortcut ALT-s in ALT-SHIFT-s, so the way for the wanted ALT-s combination is free. Is there a way in Wordfast to get the Eszett in the way I want to? If not, what should I do to succeed in getting the Eszett?

Who can help me?

Thanks in advance!

Annemarie
Collapse


 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Ask a pro Feb 13, 2017

Well, I don't know how to create the "Szet" in Wordfast 4 since I've just started using it myself. But you can always submit a support request to the WordFast team. They're really helpful.

But you can always replace it using "ss". Here in Germany, excl. Bavaria, I believe, they have already stopped using the "Szet" and replaced it with double "s" in many of the words, though not all.

[Edited at 2017-02-13 14:09 GMT]


 

Elke Adams  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hi Feb 13, 2017

try this: https://www.lsa.umich.edu/german/hmr/schreiben/umlaute/umlaute_ASCII_html.html
Thayenga, "ss" is wrong in german (Germany)

[Bearbeitet am 2017-02-13 14:09 GMT]


 

Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
German to English
Can't always replace it Feb 13, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

But you can always replace it using "ss". Here in Germany, excl. Bavaria, I believe, they have already stopped using the "Szet" and replaced it with double "s" in many of the words, though not all.

[Edited at 2017-02-13 14:09 GMT]


I have had clients who insisted on keeping it even in the English translation, for example in street names.

[Bearbeitet am 2017-02-14 01:38 GMT]


 

Susanne Rosenberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
Alt + 225 Feb 13, 2017

Use the numeric keypad on the right when typing the numbers, this should do the trick.

 

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Not true Feb 13, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

Well, I don't know how to create the "Szet" in Wordfast 4 since I've just started using it myself. But you can always submit a support request to the WordFast team. They're really helpful.

But you can always replace it using "ss". Here in Germany, excl. Bavaria, I believe, they have already stopped using the "Szet" and replaced it with double "s" in many of the words, though not all.

[Edited at 2017-02-13 14:09 GMT]


I think you are mixing up Germany with Switzerland, where ss is always used. The "Eszett" continues to be used in Germany and Austria after a long vowel - compare "Maße" vs. "Masse". See also explanation at http://www.eszett-bls.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-the-letter-eszett.html


 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It is true Feb 13, 2017

Steffen Walter wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

Well, I don't know how to create the "Szet" in Wordfast 4 since I've just started using it myself. But you can always submit a support request to the WordFast team. They're really helpful.

But you can always replace it using "ss". Here in Germany, excl. Bavaria, I believe, they have already stopped using the "Szet" and replaced it with double "s" in many of the words, though not all.

[Edited at 2017-02-13 14:09 GMT]


I think you are mixing up Germany with Switzerland, where ss is always used. The "Eszett" continues to be used in Germany and Austria after a long vowel - compare "Maße" vs. "Masse". See also explanation at http://www.eszett-bls.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-the-letter-eszett.html


Well, here in Germany they changed the use of the "Szet" to double ss in quite a few words, such as Genuss instead of the former Genuß, Gewissheit vs. Gewißheit, Bewußtsein vs. Bewusstsein, to name a few. So no, I'm not confusing Germany with Switzerland. I only remember how words were spelled before the German orthography reform of 1996.


 

Birgit Hübner
Germany
Local time: 18:54
German to Italian
+ ...
In Germany you need to use the ß Feb 13, 2017

it is not the same:

Schoß - schoss, Maße - Masse, means - have different meanings


 

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
The difference is ... Feb 13, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

Well, I don't know how to create the "Szet" in Wordfast 4 since I've just started using it myself. But you can always submit a support request to the WordFast team. They're really helpful.

But you can always replace it using "ss". Here in Germany, excl. Bavaria, I believe, they have already stopped using the "Szet" and replaced it with double "s" in many of the words, though not all.

[Edited at 2017-02-13 14:09 GMT]


I think you are mixing up Germany with Switzerland, where ss is always used. The "Eszett" continues to be used in Germany and Austria after a long vowel - compare "Maße" vs. "Masse". See also explanation at http://www.eszett-bls.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-the-letter-eszett.html


Well, here in Germany they changed the use of the "Szet" to double ss in quite a few words, such as Genuss instead of the former Genuß, Gewissheit vs. Gewißheit, Bewußtsein vs. Bewusstsein, to name a few. So no, I'm not confusing Germany with Switzerland. I only remember how words were spelled before the German orthography reform of 1996.


... short vowels (followed by ss) versus long vowels (ß), so it's quite clear where to use the Eszett and where not. I do remember, too, what the situation was like before the spelling reform(s).


 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I agree Feb 13, 2017

Birgit Hübner wrote:

it is not the same:

Schoß - schoss, Maße - Masse, means - have different meanings


The different meaning is yet another reason for keeping this letter .


 

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Italian to German
+ ...
The simplest way is... Feb 13, 2017

a) get a Swiss keyboard if you work in the languages DE, FR, IT, EN. You have then all usable accents in one keystroke.

b) In Windows you can easily switch the language settings, but you have to install some keyboard settings first. Install the Swiss keyboard (or any other to your taste) in:
Systemsteuerung > Zeit, Sprache und Region > Tastaturen und Eingabemethoden ändern

To activate the Eszett you will have to switch from German (Switzerland) to German (Germany
... See more
a) get a Swiss keyboard if you work in the languages DE, FR, IT, EN. You have then all usable accents in one keystroke.

b) In Windows you can easily switch the language settings, but you have to install some keyboard settings first. Install the Swiss keyboard (or any other to your taste) in:
Systemsteuerung > Zeit, Sprache und Region > Tastaturen und Eingabemethoden ändern

To activate the Eszett you will have to switch from German (Switzerland) to German (Germany). In my checklist I will anyhow change at the end of my project occurences of ss to Eszett.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-13 16:58 GMT]
Collapse


 


There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »


How getting the German "Eszett"?

Advanced search






SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search