Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: What brings out the Tommy Lee Translator in you?
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 00:33
SITE STAFF
Feb 15, 2013

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Tommy Lee Translator is not amused:

Insert your own caption here

Nicole Coesel
Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:33
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
We gladly accept your quote Feb 15, 2013

We gladly accept your quote, and after returning us the signed NDA, a scan of all diplomas and references, your personal details and providing us with a free test-translation of only 1,000 words we would be pleased to consider you for the assignment.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:33
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Snapshot tool Feb 16, 2013

"There are 36 pages in this pdf file, but only two need need translation; the rest are in English. Please use the snapshot tool to copy the remaining the pages into your translation."

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Translation Machine Feb 16, 2013

"Here are the documents to be translated", tells me the private client, "when do you think you can get them ready for me?" - "It will take a few days", I answer. - "How come so much time? Don't you just scan them through your fax and get the translation that way?" - "..."

[Modificato alle 2013-02-16 05:13 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:33
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Women and Technology Feb 16, 2013

Client: "This text contains several chemical formulas. Do you think you will be comfortable with translating such a technical text, or should I rather ask one of the guys?"

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:33
Hebrew to English
Gripes.... Feb 16, 2013

Tommy Lee Translator1

Tommy Lee Translator 2

Trisha F
Trisha F  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
What brings out the Tommy Lee Translator in you? Feb 17, 2013

Are you sure you can understand European Spanish? You say you have translated for the Spanish market but I think we are looking for a translator who was actually born in Spain as people should translate into their native language.

Hearing this when Spanish IS your native language and you have the education and experience to deal with the specified content to a very high standard is a major turn-off. It is even worse when someone with no knowledge of languages whatsoever blurts it ou
... See more
Are you sure you can understand European Spanish? You say you have translated for the Spanish market but I think we are looking for a translator who was actually born in Spain as people should translate into their native language.

Hearing this when Spanish IS your native language and you have the education and experience to deal with the specified content to a very high standard is a major turn-off. It is even worse when someone with no knowledge of languages whatsoever blurts it out. In fact, this is one of the things that discourage me from translating as I find it openly discriminating.

[Edited at 2013-02-17 04:37 GMT]
Collapse

OlivierParrot
OlivierParrot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
Japanese to French
+ ...
Wha... Feb 17, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Client: "This text contains several chemical formulas. Do you think you will be comfortable with translating such a technical text, or should I rather ask one of the guys?"

Are you serious? Does this happens to you regularly?
I mean I could understand once or twice, we all meet oddballs from time to time, but...

Trisha F
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Feb 17, 2013

OlivierParrot wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Are you serious? Does this happens to you regularly?
I mean I could understand once or twice, we all meet oddballs from time to time, but...

I tried to apply once to a technical translation in-house position but oddly enough they didn't want a translator and translation quaifications were not important. They wanted a bilingual engineer that could be trained for translation in a couple of weeks. I said I had translated technical stuff before but they replied:

"We are not looking for a translator, we need someone qualified in engineering or any scientific field".

True story.

Trisha F
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
And another thing Feb 17, 2013

Would you consider working on a volunteer basis?

It is great to help the world become a better place but I have the feeling translators are asked this question more often than architects, for example. It is sad because people invest money and effort in their education and they are often asked to work for free because their profession has little value in other people's eyes.

[Edited at 2013-02-17 14:17 GMT]

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
My reply... Feb 17, 2013

Trisha F wrote:

Would you consider working on a volunteer basis?

It is great to help the world become a better place but I have the feeling translators are asked this question more often than architects, for example. It is sad because people invest money and effort in their education and they are often asked to work for free because their profession has little value in other people's eyes.

[Edited at 2013-02-17 14:17 GMT]

Just because your organization is "not-for-profit" doesn't mean that mine is too.

That might be a little mean though.

alz
alz  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
PO for one sentence of 5 words Feb 18, 2013

From a PO for one sentence of 5 words:

- We do not accept minimum fees
- We offer rebates to our best clients and ask you to play your part

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Quick 'n' dirty Feb 18, 2013

A bare two hours before the deadline, a particular client of mine asks if I can revise ("proofread") a translation involving some 2.1/2 hours' work. At such short notice, there's no allowance made for the extra time a poor translation may take to revise. This is a client that tried to get me to accept work at a giddying going rate of 1600 words per hour, and I managed to beat them down to my hourly 1200 words. This client's translation offers are similarly time-stingy: weekend work, for Monday a... See more
A bare two hours before the deadline, a particular client of mine asks if I can revise ("proofread") a translation involving some 2.1/2 hours' work. At such short notice, there's no allowance made for the extra time a poor translation may take to revise. This is a client that tried to get me to accept work at a giddying going rate of 1600 words per hour, and I managed to beat them down to my hourly 1200 words. This client's translation offers are similarly time-stingy: weekend work, for Monday at 9:00 a.m., unworkable deadlines... I refuse a lot of that client's work because of the nail-biting and nail-paring time margins.

With kind regards, and watch where you tread!

Adam Warren (IanDhu - 41189)
Collapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Oddballs Feb 18, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I am inclined to think this category of client swings from tree to tree.

With kind regards, and don't rush in where angels fear to tread!

Adam Warren (IanDhu - 41889)

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:33
English to Greek
+ ...
HAHAHAHAHA... Feb 18, 2013

IanDhu wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I am inclined to think this category of client swings from tree to tree.

With kind regards, and don't rush in where angels fear to tread!

Adam Warren (IanDhu - 41889)

Bless you!!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What brings out the Tommy Lee Translator in you?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »