Thread poster: Marisa Condurso de Nohara
Marisa Condurso de Nohara
Marisa Condurso de Nohara  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 25, 2006

Only from time to time a receive PPT files which I need to work out in Microsoft Word. My own way to have the text ready in a *.doc is either "saving as" plain text (rtf) or selecting (PPT file columns, charts, etc.,) copying and pasting on a new page of the target software (Word).

Being the former the fastest way, I still have to adjust the text, deleting spaces, relocating pieces of text according to the PPT layout, and the hardest, deleting all "enter" symbols which result from a
... See more
Only from time to time a receive PPT files which I need to work out in Microsoft Word. My own way to have the text ready in a *.doc is either "saving as" plain text (rtf) or selecting (PPT file columns, charts, etc.,) copying and pasting on a new page of the target software (Word).

Being the former the fastest way, I still have to adjust the text, deleting spaces, relocating pieces of text according to the PPT layout, and the hardest, deleting all "enter" symbols which result from a PPT column (or paragraph) saved as rtf. This takes time, but for short pieces of text it has proved OK for me so far.

But now I am dealing with three PPTs which could account for a 20-page Word document each, and having already prepared the first one, I really would like to avoid working this way (especially in relation to the deletion of "enter" symbols which show up at the end of phrases which do not constitute a whole sentences, let alone a paragraph)

Surprisingly, I have found (before resorting to Proz.com) that many people I have turned to for help handle PPT files every day, but have no idea of how to solve my problem. Do you usually face the same "waste of time"? Could anyone teach me how to proceed? Tks a lot.

[Editado a las 2006-05-25 11:58]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-05-25 13:32]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 06:58
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Why do you copy ppt to word at the first place? May 25, 2006

Can you explain?

Antonin

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do or don't? May 25, 2006

Hi, Antonin! I can't really get what you mean by your question. Do you mean why I DO or why I DON'T save as a Word file directly? If this is your question, Accrobat gives me the possibility to save as plain text, not as *.doc.

But if what you mean is why I need to paste the resulting text in a Word document, it is because I need to process it with TRADOS.

Hope this helps you to help me.
Tks for your concern.

Christine Biloré
Christine Biloré  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Here is what I do May 25, 2006

Hello!

When I have to translate PPT using Trados, I do that with Tag Editor. It needs some formating in the end but if the PPT is not too complicated, it works fine.

If the PPT is heavy, I divide in groups of several slides before translating with Tag Editor.

And if it really doesn't work, I simply translate directly on a copy of the original PPT and forget about Trados.

Hope this helps,

Christine

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PDF not PPT May 25, 2006

McNohara wrote:

Only from time to time a receive PPT files ....

Sorry, I meant PDF, not PPT

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
PPT in Trados May 25, 2006

You can open .ppt files in TagEditor and translate them directly (starting with version 6.5.something - perhaps 6.5.441 or so, it might have been 6.5.338, I cannot remember exactly) or with TWin before that - if you can choose, TagEditor is much preferable.

You can do it your way, but it is a lot of unnecessary work.

If your primary goal is to translate .ppt files in Trados, perhaps the Trados forum would be a better place to put your thread...

Antonin

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My mistake: not PPT but PDF May 25, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

You can open .ppt files in TagEditor and translate them directly ....

Antonin

Yes, you are right, I use TagEditor for *.ppt, but I made a mistake: I am dealing with PDF files not PPTs. Now, if you have any kind of suggestion as regards my need, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.
McN

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not a new question May 25, 2006

You can search these forums to find loads of advice on the topic.

I usually convert pdf to doc using FineReader (which is primarily an OCR program but in my opinion gives the best results); there are also "dedicated pdf to rtf/doc" converters - I think Solid Converter is quite pupular - you can find a lot of those using e.g. Google.

HTH

Antonin

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You've just made me realize May 25, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

I usually convert pdf to doc using FineReader.....

HTH

Antonin

How is it that I didn't think of AbbyFineReader?! I use it permanently for images. Thank you. Especially for your patience, following me. I am really tired! But you've given me the solution. Thanks a lot again.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your time, but mine are PDF: My mistake May 25, 2006

Christine Biloré wrote:

Hope this helps,

Christine

It really does, although instead of ppt I am dealing with PDFs! But you've added to my own knowledge when handling ppt by TagEditor. Heavy slideshows are sometimes "too heavy". Good advice. Thank you a lot Christine.

andrewtrans
andrewtrans
English to Chinese
Why not try a OCR software to convert your pdf files? May 30, 2006

Yes, I often receive pdf files from customers to translate in trados or so on. But ususlly before starting my translation, I put it into an OCR software (I use ABBYY Finereader 7.0) to convert the pdf file into MS Word. It works well, for this lovely OCR can retain full layout, nearly 100% layout, you even don't need time to reformat it before delivery.

So, you'd better go to internet and download a copy of it and enjoy your conversion!

This is Andrew from China.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already have AbbyFineReader! May 30, 2006

andrewtrans wrote:

.........So, you'd better go to internet and download a copy of it and enjoy your conversion!...........

This is Andrew from China.

Tks Andrew, but I already have Abby, and that's what I was telling our colleague some lines above, when he suggested me that program. I hadn't realized I could use it for this purpose and not only for its main function (scanned text).

Anyway thank you a lot. I have already delivered my translation really pleased to have been object of so many concern and dedication from my colleages from different parts of the world.

Regards,
McNohara

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try Nitro PDF May 31, 2006

it's an Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader, Acrobat, i.e. much more) clone with - among other things - Word export.

It does a darn good job, actually as good as it can, given all the crap, people sometimes pack into the PDF form.

Costs cca 100 US$

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will take it into account May 31, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

............. among other things - Word export.

Costs cca 100 US$

Vielen Dank Vito!
Aufwieder"lessen",
McNohara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From PDF to Word: Heaps of hours of adjustments

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »