neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cheap and cheerful Oct 15, 2013

Boeira46 wrote:

Thanks for replying to my "beginner" worries... I'm tending to Wordfast anyway, as it is less costly and for the previews I've seen so far, it seems easier to use.

As you are just starting up, I highly recommend WF - I've been using the Classic version for about 5 years and am happy with the results. Trados users can (often) accept and use WF files anyway, and you can always invest in Trados in the future if you think it's going to be worthwhile.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:57
French to English
+ ...
How long's a piece of string? Oct 15, 2013

I use both Wordfast and Trados and like different aspects of both of them. I started out with Wordfast Classic as my toe in the water of the CAT tool world, five or six years ago and found it very intuitive and easy to use. As others have said, I was able to use it myself, without the need for training, although when I attended a course a year or so in, it taught me lots of extra benefits that really helped, although they weren't essential. I still use Wordfast now for many clients as it's less ... See more
I use both Wordfast and Trados and like different aspects of both of them. I started out with Wordfast Classic as my toe in the water of the CAT tool world, five or six years ago and found it very intuitive and easy to use. As others have said, I was able to use it myself, without the need for training, although when I attended a course a year or so in, it taught me lots of extra benefits that really helped, although they weren't essential. I still use Wordfast now for many clients as it's less cumbersome, easier to set up files and just go, and I like the fact that it picks up numbers and proper names as well as entries in the glossary - although it could be that later versions of Studio do that too; I only have Studio 2009.

I invested in Trados a couple of years ago in response to pressure from two of my major clients and I do quite like it, although it was a very steep learning curve and it took me a long time to feel confident. I was fortunate to have a lot of help from the clients who'd encouraged me to get it, otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't have persevered! It definitely isn't intuitive in my view, but once you know what you're doing, it is fine. I like the fact that you can have any number of glossaries (unlike the 3 in Wordfast) and TMs (only one plus the btm in Wordfast) and the Autosuggest facility is neat too. One of the clients I use Trados for still uses Trados 2007 across most of its multinational companies, but with Studio I am able to process the ttx files they send, with their legacy memories, and send it back in the format they require - something I definitely couldn't do with Wordfast. I can also make use of their extensive termbases.

I have also heard good things about MemoQ and if I was starting afresh nowadays, it would certainly be one I'd consider as a middle option.

In terms of productivity, having a CAT tool is pretty much essential in my view, unless you're translating literature. As well as consistency and ease of glossary consultation, it makes it hard to miss a sentence and certainly speeds up the workflow once you're proficient.

Good luck!
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
I can't say much... Oct 15, 2013

I only recently began working with WordFast Pro (the free trial version) because one of my clients used it and enforced a repetition discount even though I wasn't using any CAT tools (grr).

You can get a free version of Wordfast, which has already been mentioned, and test it out before you buy it. I really like using WF and would like to buy a license once I have a little extra money to invest. Trados has a subscription based version that runs for ~$130 a year, but I'm not sure whi
... See more
I only recently began working with WordFast Pro (the free trial version) because one of my clients used it and enforced a repetition discount even though I wasn't using any CAT tools (grr).

You can get a free version of Wordfast, which has already been mentioned, and test it out before you buy it. I really like using WF and would like to buy a license once I have a little extra money to invest. Trados has a subscription based version that runs for ~$130 a year, but I'm not sure which version is available.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast or TRADOS?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »