Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 21, 2002

What program should be used?

I hit the wrong program ,{Adobe} and now, if I download the files again, the computer continues to open it as a PDF file.

Help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:19
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
SMP-Files Apr 21, 2002

First, to deactivate the connection between Acrobat and *.SMP files, open Windows Explorer (I´m using a german machine, so you menu may slightly differ from the names I give here, but I´ve no english machine here to test these names). Go to the \"EXTRAS\" menu and select \"DIRECTORY PROPERTIES\" (in German: \"EXTRAS\" \"ORDNEROPTIONEN\"). There you can select, if the directories ar to be displayed as WEBSITES and so on. Select \"File types\" (or \"Types of files\").

Find the listing
... See more
First, to deactivate the connection between Acrobat and *.SMP files, open Windows Explorer (I´m using a german machine, so you menu may slightly differ from the names I give here, but I´ve no english machine here to test these names). Go to the \"EXTRAS\" menu and select \"DIRECTORY PROPERTIES\" (in German: \"EXTRAS\" \"ORDNEROPTIONEN\"). There you can select, if the directories ar to be displayed as WEBSITES and so on. Select \"File types\" (or \"Types of files\").

Find the listing for SMP files (look for it on the left side). Select the apropriate line by clicking ONCE on it. Then click \"DELETE\". After this operation the *.SMP files will be no more associated wit ACROBAT.

As far as I know, SMP files are Plug-ins for NETSCAPE. I´ll try to check ist and post an addition, if I can find any further information about.

Regards

J. Czopik
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Bertha, it could be... Apr 21, 2002

a Sample (sound file) or a Samplevision File. There are also some other possibilities (Linux etc).

What do you expect it to be?

If you think it\'s an audio file, then save it on your hard disk, open the mediaplayer, go to File - Open, choose the file and click OK.

If you are downloading it from the Internet, please provide the URL.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-21 16:35 ]

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope, they are maps. Apr 21, 2002

They are sending me six maps. They come from an astronomer who is sending us maps with the position of the planets for our city for the next 15 days.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I see. Apr 21, 2002

These are graphic files, then. I\'ll look for some converters and let you know.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
SMP-files are PHOTOIMPACT files Apr 21, 2002

See the following links:

http://filext.com/s.htm

http://www.ulead.com/pi/trial.htm

You can download a free trial version of Photoimpact there.

Regards

J. Czopik

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Bertha, Apr 21, 2002

it could be also a Ulead PhotoImpact file. I have PhotoImpact, but I have never worked with this file format. If you like, you can send me one file and I\'ll see if it is possible to convert it into some \"normal\" format. If yes, you\'ll send me the rest for conversion. If not, then the best way is to ask the astronomer to re-save the files in any of the common graphic formats (I cannot rule out the possibility that the files were created with some special scientific program).

Cheers,
... See more
it could be also a Ulead PhotoImpact file. I have PhotoImpact, but I have never worked with this file format. If you like, you can send me one file and I\'ll see if it is possible to convert it into some \"normal\" format. If yes, you\'ll send me the rest for conversion. If not, then the best way is to ask the astronomer to re-save the files in any of the common graphic formats (I cannot rule out the possibility that the files were created with some special scientific program).

Cheers,

Natalia

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-21 17:28 ]
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Natalie Apr 21, 2002

Very kind of you.

I\'ll send you the files right away.

ctirip
ctirip
United States
Local time: 01:19
Russian to English
+ ...
Xionics SMP Apr 21, 2002

.SMP files are of the Xionics SMP format. There are several readers out there, including XnView, which is free for personal use via this link:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enfeatures.html

Good luck.

ctirip
ctirip
United States
Local time: 01:19
Russian to English
+ ...
XIONICS SMP Apr 21, 2002

\".SMP\" files are of the Xionics SMP format. There are several readers out there, including XnView, which is free for personal use. It can be obtained via this link:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enfeatures.html

Good Luck.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Wow! Apr 21, 2002

SkyMap Pro it was!

Cheers,

Natalia

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great job, Natalie! :)) Apr 22, 2002

Thanks for opening and converting the files for me!.

adimat
adimat
Japan
Local time: 14:19
English to Japanese
open .smp file using sm4awin...Freeware can download from vector japan Sep 5, 2013

I received several image file from my colleagues at Japan which contain image result of X-Ray Diffraction Analysis (XRD) where the file is in .smp format.

My friend told me that the file can be opened using sma4win, a freeware that can be downloaded (japanese or english version) from Vector japan.

The download link (correct as 4th September 2013) are as below.

... See more
I received several image file from my colleagues at Japan which contain image result of X-Ray Diffraction Analysis (XRD) where the file is in .smp format.

My friend told me that the file can be opened using sma4win, a freeware that can be downloaded (japanese or english version) from Vector japan.

The download link (correct as 4th September 2013) are as below.

1) Japanese version : http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002995/soft/win32/Sma4Win.msi

2) English version : http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002995/soft/win32/sma4w148e.lzh

(The english version, need to be unzipped first, you may find free unzip application such as winrar etc...)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to open an SMP file?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »