Getting your training right
Get focus on your continuing professional development. Think about what you are doing and what you need to do regarding training and qualifications. Avoid throwing your money and time away on courses that don’t fulfil your needs.
This webinar looks at ways to approach your continuing professional development as a translator. It takes a good look at the pitfalls that have led many of us to take the wrong course at one time or another, and considers how to make sure you select the right courses for you. It also thinks about activities that you can do after completing training to ensure long-term value.
You will be encouraged to develop a training plan; get ideas on the many different sources of information out there, and really think about how to get the most out of the time and money you dedicate to training. This webinar discusses training and qualifications in general terms and is suitable for translators in any region.
This course is suitable for anyone in any region looking for orientation and ideas regarding their professional development.
In this course you will:
- Learn how to identify your on-going training and qualification needs
- Learn to analyse possible courses to make sure your choice brings value to your career
- Identify pitfalls to avoid when selecting training
- Get ideas on different types of training and qualifications
- Look at ways to make sure you get value out of courses once you’ve completed them
Click to expand
The course will cover the following areas:
- Continuing professional development in contrast with qualifications
- Identifying your training needs
- Training/qualification pitfalls and how to avoid them
- Actions after completing training to make sure you get lasting value
- Sources of translator training
Software and system requirements (click to expand)
Click to expand
Virtual platform system requirements
For PC-based Users:
• Required: Windows® 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2003 Server or 2000 (Linux is not supported)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL, or better recommended
• Recommended: Minimum of Pentium® class 1GHz CPU with 512 MB of RAM (2 GB of RAM for Windows Vista)
For Mac®-based Users:
• Required: Mac OS® X 10.4 (Tiger®), OS X 10.5 (Leopard®), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard®)
• Internet Connection Required: Cable modem, DSL or better recommended
• Required: PowerPC G4/G5 or Intel processor, 512 MB of RAM or better
To Use VoIP (microphone and speakers or headset):
• Required: Fast Internet connection (384 kbps or more recommended)
• Required: speakers or headset (USB headset recommended)
• NOT required: Microphone - attendees can communicate with the trainer through incorporated chat.
• For the visual section of the training course, we recommend that you have a 64kbps link. This means using an ISDN line or Broadband. Wireless connection is NOT recommended.
• For the audio section of the training course, we recommend that you have a headset or speakers.
• We recommend that you log in 30 minutes in advance of the start time to prepare for the training course.
Courses will be open half an hour before the start time. Please login before the start time to ensure that everything on your system is working correctly.
Registration and payment information (click to expand)
Click to expand
Click on the buy button on the right to purchase your seat
Participation fee includes:
• access to webinar session.
• unlimited access to the webinar recording.
• powerpoint slides to remind participants of the key points and lessons learned.
• certificates of attendance.
If I register will I be charged automatically?
No. Registering for the course means that you expressed interest in the training only. ProZ.com training session vacancies are limited, and minimum attendee confirmation is required in order for training sessions to be conducted, so be sure to book your seat as soon as possible.
How do I purchase my spot?
To purchase your seat at this session please click on the "buy" button. Available slots are limited and will be assigned to registered and paid participants as soon as payment is reported. Early payment is advised in order to secure participation. Allow some time for payment processing if you are paying by wire transfer.
After your payment is received, your status will be changed to “registered and paid” and your spot for the session will be secured. An invoice and receipt of payment will be sent to you for your records.
How do I access the online platform?
72 hours before the webinar takes place, you will receive an invitation to join the session. Please, click the registration link or button provided in the invitation email and complete the registration form.
Gwenydd Jones View feedback | View all courses
Comments about this course
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
This discussion can also be accessed via the ProZ.com forum pages.