Problems with Windows XP SP2
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:03
German to Spanish
Aug 16, 2004

Over 200 programs can have problems with this new service pack!

Before installing (I will not)take a look at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

RegardZ

[Edited at 2004-08-17 08:45]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 01:03
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
nicely put .. Aug 16, 2004

"Programs that may behave differently after you install Windows XP SP2" - isn't that nicely put))

even Office XP
and Word are there...

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Unbelievable! Aug 16, 2004

This is why more and more people look for other Operating Systems...but still most translators need MS Word in their work, and this programme run best on Windows.

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Passing the buck Aug 17, 2004

"Additionally, software vendors may have resolved some of these issues. Contact the software manufacturer or vendor for more specific details."

Incredible!

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:03
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Thanks for the warning! Aug 17, 2004

I'll definitely AVOID this update!
Grrrrrrrrrrr Microsoft!!!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:03
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Daily Telegraph on XP SP2 Aug 17, 2004

Today's "Daily Telegraph", on its weekly "Connected" page, today has an article by Rick Maybury on XP SP2 (tried to find it online but these articles seem to run about three weeks behind publication before they appear there - the archive page at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bootarc/ does however contain other articles about Windows XP problems which may be of interest).
Anyhow, he goes into the pr
... See more
Today's "Daily Telegraph", on its weekly "Connected" page, today has an article by Rick Maybury on XP SP2 (tried to find it online but these articles seem to run about three weeks behind publication before they appear there - the archive page at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bootarc/ does however contain other articles about Windows XP problems which may be of interest).
Anyhow, he goes into the pros and cons of it and comes down on balance in favour of it, but for those who don't want it (and I think that includes me), I thought I should quote the following:
"If your PC is set up to download updates automatically, SP2 will be installed whether you like it or not, but if you have disabled this feature (see Tip of the Week), the question is whether or not you should install SP2."

The Tip of the Week is as follows:
Generally speaking, Windows Automatic Update is a good idea that can help to keep your PC fixed and patched without your having to do anything. However, if you want to take charge - at least until SP2 has proven itself and any bugs have been eliminated - then you can switch it off by going to Control Panel and double-clicking the System icon. Select the Automatic Updates tag and deselect the item "Keep my computer up to date". To check for the latest updates go to Help and Support on the Start Menu and under Pick a Task click on "Keep your computer up to date with Windows Update. Or go to: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Rick Maybury refers to the Internet Connection Firewall being enabled by default in XP SP2, implying that you can disable it,and saying "you may still be better off using a commercial firewall or one ot the freeware offerings such as Zone Alarm, Outpost or Sygate".
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Believable! Aug 17, 2004

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

This is why more and more people look for other Operating Systems...

Perhaps it's time to try one of them?

http://www.proz.com/howto/12

Marc

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Still in Win Aug 18, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

This is why more and more people look for other Operating Systems...

Perhaps it\'s time to try one of them?

http://www.proz.com/howto/12

Marc

I think it\'s time. The only issue is Trados, that I use some times to export TMs etc after working with Wordfast, or use TagEditor if required by the customer. How does Trados and Linux work together, or do they at all?

I have currently switched to Firefox and Thunderbird to get used to open source programmes, and so far everything works great. But I am still in Windows...(but stay clear of XP).

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Problems with Windows XP SP2 Aug 18, 2004

I think it's time. The only issue is Trados, that I use some times to export TMs etc after working with Wordfast, or use TagEditor if required by the customer. How does Trados and Linux work together, or do they at all?

Trados won't run on Linux, unless you count running VMWare or Win4Lin and running Windows on that, in which case you are still running Windows. Some users argue that this is still preferable to running the whole system on Windows.

There is quite a choice of CAT tools for Linux now, although they all require either Crossover (such as Wordfast) or Java (such as OmegaT. If Linux adoption continues at the present rate, though, it can only be a matter of time before some of the major vendors port their products.

Marc

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 02:03
English to German
+ ...
Huh Oct 1, 2004

Magazin: Schwere Sicherheitslücke in Windows XP Service Pack 2

München (ddp). Statt Computerviren, Würmer und andere Eindringlinge abzuwehren, lädt das angeblich sichere Windows XP Service Pack 2 Hacker zum Spaziergang auf den heimischen PC ein. Das berichtet das Computermagazin «PC-WELT» auf ihrer Website (www.pcwelt.de). Tests hätten ergeben, dass auf einem PC mit Windows XP und installi
... See more
Magazin: Schwere Sicherheitslücke in Windows XP Service Pack 2

München (ddp). Statt Computerviren, Würmer und andere Eindringlinge abzuwehren, lädt das angeblich sichere Windows XP Service Pack 2 Hacker zum Spaziergang auf den heimischen PC ein. Das berichtet das Computermagazin «PC-WELT» auf ihrer Website (www.pcwelt.de). Tests hätten ergeben, dass auf einem PC mit Windows XP und installiertem Service Pack 2 trotz aktivierter Firewall private Dokumente sowie alle Datei- und Druckerfreigaben weltweit eingesehen werden können. Viele Anwender bemerkten davon nichts.

Das Sicherheitsproblem tritt den Angaben zufolge auf, wenn der PC für ein internes Netzwerk Freigaben zur Verfügung stellt und per Einwahl mit dem Internet verbunden ist. Außerdem muss die so genannte Internetverbindungsfreigabe deaktiviert sein. Fälschlicherweise wird angezeigt, dass Freigaben und andere Dienste nur für das interne Netzwerk, nicht aber im Internet zur Verfügung stehen. Anwender, die sich hierauf verlassen und auf eine zusätzliche Absicherung durch Passwörter verzichten, laden den Hacker unfreiwillig dazu ein, die Daten des PCs zu kopieren, zu ändern oder zu löschen.

Bis Microsoft eine Lösung für diesen Programmfehler zur Verfügung stellt, müssen Benutzer von Windows XP mit installiertem Service Pack 2 wohl selbst die Sicherheitslücke schließen. Das Magazin rät, in der Systemsteuerung von Windows XP die Einstellung «Windows-Firewall» auszuwählen und dort unter «Ausnahmen» die Voreinstellung «Subnetz» auf «Benutzerdefinierte Liste» umzustellen. Anschließend werden hier die IP-Adressen aller zum Zugriff berechtigter Rechner per Hand eingetragen. Nach diesen Maßnahmen ist das Sicherheitsproblem behoben.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Windows XP SP2

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »