Thread poster: Helen Li
Helen Li
Helen Li  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 17:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 13, 2008

Hi, I am a freelance translator in Singapore and want to be certified by ATA (American Translation Association). I have checked the information on ATA website, and it appears that the test sites are only located in U.S. and Canada. Anyone knows that whether candidates can take the tests outside the U.S.?

Thanks very much

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
Russian to English
+ ...
If someone offers them Feb 13, 2008

ATA tests have been offered outside the US. It does, however, require an organization to set it up and, unless there is an organization wishing to sponsor it, they generally are not offered.

Helen Li
Singapore
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Feb 13, 2008

Hi, Paul, thanks for your prompt reply!

Unfortunately, it appears that no organisation in Singapore has sponsored it before. Will ask around and double check. Thanks!

islander1974
islander1974
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Well... Feb 14, 2008

Check for local translation clubs/ associations or the US embassy - who knows! Otherwise, do what most people do - save up and take a working vacation to the US.

Helen Li
Singapore
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATA replied that they have yet to hold exams in Asia Feb 14, 2008

I emailed ATA, and they replied quite fast to say that they have yet to hold exams in Aisa. If I want to take the exam, I need travel to one of the test sites in U.S.

I have done a rough calculation, the cost for me to fly to U.S for the exam will be US$2,000 plus. Working vacation may be a good idea:)

Thanks

islander1974
islander1974
Canada
French to English
+ ...
You're welcome! Feb 14, 2008

The annual conference is in November in Orlando at Disneyworld... they have a certification exam then. They have other dates too but that would give you enough time to prepare and attend the conference too. Remember to order your test preparation package.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to take ATA tests outside U.S.?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »