Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
I am seeking a good comprehensive English grammar
Thread poster: Sabina Moscatelli
AngusJohnson
AngusJohnson
Local time: 13:09
Polish to English
Jespersen forgotten? May 2, 2007

I definitely agree: "A Comprehensive English Grammar" by Quirk et al. is an authoritative record of the English language, designed not only as a guide on how to use the language, but also containing a lot of useful information on the history and nuances of grammar. The only bad thing about this book is that it's a bit hefty and therefore expensive. Written at the beginning of the 20th century, a bit old-fashioned for present-day students, but nonetheless a very extensive and usable work, is "A M... See more
I definitely agree: "A Comprehensive English Grammar" by Quirk et al. is an authoritative record of the English language, designed not only as a guide on how to use the language, but also containing a lot of useful information on the history and nuances of grammar. The only bad thing about this book is that it's a bit hefty and therefore expensive. Written at the beginning of the 20th century, a bit old-fashioned for present-day students, but nonetheless a very extensive and usable work, is "A Modern English Grammar on Historical Principles" authored by none other than Otto Jespersen, now largely forgotten, a linguist who made the largest contribution to 20th-century English studies, who I believe still can be of interest to the seasoned linguist. I never could figure out why Jespersen'd fallen from grace with linguists these days.

With high hopes for Jespersen to resurface one day.
Collapse

bellathomson
bellathomson
United States
Best English books Aug 6, 2019

English is the language of science, aviation, computers, diplomacy, tourism and what not? As people all over the world decide it as a second language, learning English is important. But learning English grammar properly is mandatory to understand the English language. Here you will get some books on basic English grammar which will help you to know English correctly and enhance your knowledge with a confidence of knowing English language pr... See more
English is the language of science, aviation, computers, diplomacy, tourism and what not? As people all over the world decide it as a second language, learning English is important. But learning English grammar properly is mandatory to understand the English language. Here you will get some books on basic English grammar which will help you to know English correctly and enhance your knowledge with a confidence of knowing English language properly. Read information about books at https://www.onlinebooksreview.com/articles/best-basic-english-grammar-bookCollapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Compare prices Aug 6, 2019

Try Librairie Eyrolles (France) and Foyles (UK). And thank you all for the bibliographical updates. Is Zandvoort still the standard for English grammar?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Comprehensive Aug 6, 2019

bellathomson wrote:
Here you will get some books on basic English grammar which will help you to know...

Where I'm from, "comprehensive" kind of means the opposite of "basic".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am seeking a good comprehensive English grammar

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »