Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:34
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 22, 2009

DNS 9 something user here. I just went out and bought a new headset because my old one is dying. I bought one with a USB plug rather than a jack a) because now you can b) because I like to have speakers and headphones on at the same time and my little two-way jack socket adapter is not very reliable. Now I find that while Skype works fine, Dragon doesn't, and the help section specifies the mike has to be plugged into the jack socket.

Can anyone tell me whether this is the same for
... See more
DNS 9 something user here. I just went out and bought a new headset because my old one is dying. I bought one with a USB plug rather than a jack a) because now you can b) because I like to have speakers and headphones on at the same time and my little two-way jack socket adapter is not very reliable. Now I find that while Skype works fine, Dragon doesn't, and the help section specifies the mike has to be plugged into the jack socket.

Can anyone tell me whether this is the same for DNS 10? Isn't there some likelihood of jack sockets disappearing from our computers in favour of USB sockets anyway? USB plugs certainly seem to be outnumbering jacks on the headsets I saw in the store.
Collapse

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
USB - DNS 9.0 works fine Sep 22, 2009

Strange, in my experience everything went smooth and easy. Just plug in the mike, make a new user profile (don´t forget that part) and start training.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not correct: USB works fine too! Sep 22, 2009

I have tried DNS 9 with an USB headset, and after that purchased DNS 10 and am using it with an USB headset. I believe however that if you were using a sound card microphone entry, you now need to retrain the software for the USB microphone.

If you cannot see the USB headset in DNS 10, it could be because of some glitch in the software. I would not know how to fix it though... Sorry!

May I also mention that DNS seems to be particularly picky about the exact headset you
... See more
I have tried DNS 9 with an USB headset, and after that purchased DNS 10 and am using it with an USB headset. I believe however that if you were using a sound card microphone entry, you now need to retrain the software for the USB microphone.

If you cannot see the USB headset in DNS 10, it could be because of some glitch in the software. I would not know how to fix it though... Sorry!

May I also mention that DNS seems to be particularly picky about the exact headset you trained it with? I have exactly the same headset model at home and in the office, but when I first brought my main computer (the one in which I use DNS 10) home for some work there and tried to use the other headset (I insist: exactly the same model, bought in the same place and only a couple of days apart), DNS 10 did not find it. So when I take my main computer home for some reason I have to take the headset too! Sounds ridiculous, but this is my experience.
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
USB option via "manage users" Sep 22, 2009

Riens Middelhof wrote:

Strange, in my experience everything went smooth and easy. Just plug in the mike, make a new user profile (don´t forget that part) and start training.

I'm too embarassed to tell you how long it's taken me to find the menu to make a new user profile... You're right, there is an option in there for a USB mike. I'm rather taken aback to find out that I have to start training the software all over again though!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Export and then import with the new profile? Sep 22, 2009

Eutychus wrote:
Riens Middelhof wrote:

I'm too embarassed to tell you how long it's taken me to find the menu to make a new user profile... You're right, there is an option in there for a USB mike. I'm rather taken aback to find out that I have to start training the software all over again though!

Hm... I have never tried, but you might want to give it a try and let us know what happens:

(I have the software installed in Spanish, so the options could be called differently in your setup language)
1. Go to the NaturallySpeaking menu, choose "Manage users...".

2. In the user list, choose your fully trained user. Click the "Advanced..." button. Choose "Export...". (If asked whether you'd like to save your user files --means that you have just added something before saving--, choose Yes).

(The export produces quite a large package of files, which is bigger depending on how many terms and training you have added/completed.)

3. Create a new user, using the USB headset as the source of sound. Then, again in the Manage users option, select the new user and again click the "Advanced..." button and use "Import..." to import your user files against the new user.

I don't know whether this could work, but it is worth giving it a try I reckon.

Claudine-Hélène L.
Claudine-Hélène L.
France
English to French
+ ...
DNS and headsets Sep 23, 2009

Hello fellow-DNS users

I too have had quite a few problems with headsets and my DNS 10 Pref.

Although most of the regular plug in/cord ones work fine, Ive had so much trouble trying to find a good -and COMPATIBLE- cordless bluetooth mike/headset that actually works with this program!.
I bought quite an expensive one from Philips at 100 euros only to discover that although it worked beautifully with
... See more
Hello fellow-DNS users

Although most of the regular plug in/cord ones work fine, Ive had so much trouble trying to find a good -and COMPATIBLE- cordless bluetooth mike/headset that actually works with this program!.
I bought quite an expensive one from Philips at 100 euros only to discover that although it worked beautifully with Skype and Windows Media Player it didnt work at all with DNS...I have so far been unable to obtain a list of compatible cordless headsets from Nuance France: in response to my email they sent me a link to a Plantronics model featured on their website for use with DNS that had "no longer available" written in bold red lettering right next to it !!! ;(

All this to say : be careful DNS users, before purchasing mikes or headsets to use with DNS try to make sure the chosen model really does work with it!

Apart from that, im very pleased with my DNS 10 pref software, which ive been using for about a month now with a traditional 2 jack+ 1 meter cord headset.Ive found that spending a little time training it has truly made an enormous difference, especially recording the few commands and expressions you use most frequently.
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 19:34
Spanish to French
+ ...
Question about DNS 10 Preferred Sep 23, 2009

Hi Claudine,

I've recently bought this version too. I am quite happy with it, however I've noticed that after a few hours of usage DNS seems to "lose it" (it enters strings that don´t match-not even closely- what I've just said), which forces me to restart it.
Have you experienced this kind of issue? I work in a quiet environment, so I don't think there are any noise interferences involved.
I also have yet to find a good headset too. I´ve broken a few already. All the
... See more
Hi Claudine,

I've recently bought this version too. I am quite happy with it, however I've noticed that after a few hours of usage DNS seems to "lose it" (it enters strings that don´t match-not even closely- what I've just said), which forces me to restart it.
Have you experienced this kind of issue? I work in a quiet environment, so I don't think there are any noise interferences involved.
I also have yet to find a good headset too. I´ve broken a few already. All the ones I've found here so far were entry to medium level.

Nicolas

quote]cllmda wrote:

Hello fellow-DNS users

I bought quite an expensive one from Philips at 100 euros only to discover that although it worked beautifully with Skype and Windows Media Player it didnt work at all with DNS...I have so far been unable to obtain a list of compatible cordless headsets from Nuance France: in response to my email they sent me a link to a Plantronics model featured on their website for use with DNS that had "no longer available" written in bold red lettering right next to it !!! ;(

All this to say : be careful DNS users, before purchasing mikes or headsets to use with DNS try to make sure the chosen model really does work with it!

Apart from that, im very pleased with my DNS 10 pref software, which ive been using for about a month now with a traditional 2 jack+ 1 meter cord headset.Ive found that spending a little time training it has truly made an enormous difference, especially recording the few commands and expressions you use most frequently. [/quote]
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 19:34
Spanish to French
+ ...
sound board Sep 23, 2009

Actually, I have another question to all the folks on this forum, especially the techies: do you think upgrading the sound board (above the 16-bit device requirement stated on the DNS website) makes any difference at all performance-wise? (I have just upgraded my setup, but the sound board is built-in the main board.)

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reporting back Oct 8, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Hm... I have never tried, but you might want to give it a try and let us know what happens:

(I have the software installed in Spanish, so the options could be called differently in your setup language)
1. Go to the NaturallySpeaking menu, choose "Manage users...".

2. In the user list, choose your fully trained user. Click the "Advanced..." button. Choose "Export...". (If asked whether you'd like to save your user files --means that you have just added something before saving--, choose Yes).

(The export produces quite a large package of files, which is bigger depending on how many terms and training you have added/completed.)

3. Create a new user, using the USB headset as the source of sound. Then, again in the Manage users option, select the new user and again click the "Advanced..." button and use "Import..." to import your user files against the new user.

I don't know whether this could work, but it is worth giving it a try I reckon.

No, it didn't seem to

The imported files appear to be hardwired to a jack OR USB input, so I am having to train all over again.

In addition, it only seems to want to use an USB port to the rear of my PC. And I can't find any easy way to switch between headphones and speakers for listening since they use different programs to manage the sound. The only solution is to pull out the usb jack...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS: mike via jack socket only?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »