Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps in batches Oct 28, 2009

I will check with Alchemy staff. Did you visit the booth and also register for the prize giveaway, or only visit the booth?

Drew

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:39
Swedish to English
+ ...
I'm pretty sure I did register for the giveaway Oct 28, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

I will check with Alchemy staff. Did you visit the booth and also register for the prize giveaway, or only visit the booth?

Drew

But I'll admit that there is the possibility that I missed registration. Hopefully this wasn't the case as I want to evaluate Alchemy for my in-house job.

Raffaella Panigada
Raffaella Panigada  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:39
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
I did register Oct 28, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

Drew

Hi Drew,
I got the confirmation message at the end of the registration process, so I'm quite sure I did everything right and didn't miss any important step.
Thanks for checking.

Raffaella

joeg (X)
joeg (X)
German to English
+ ...
Definitely not for the faint hearted or those with puny computers Oct 28, 2009

Hi from Berlin,

With the help of a download manager, I had the 400+ MB download on my machine in about twenty minutes.

It's a zip file, and when I looked through the contents, I couldn't imagine what I was getting into. It looked sooooooooooooooooo complicated, ... and it is.

I watched the demo movie, and thought I understood what it was all about. Ha!

After installing the three super-complicated components (the SQL Database alone took ten min
... See more
Hi from Berlin,

With the help of a download manager, I had the 400+ MB download on my machine in about twenty minutes.

It's a zip file, and when I looked through the contents, I couldn't imagine what I was getting into. It looked sooooooooooooooooo complicated, ... and it is.

I watched the demo movie, and thought I understood what it was all about. Ha!

After installing the three super-complicated components (the SQL Database alone took ten minutes to install) and looking and clicking around for half an hour or so, I've decided that my ten years of translation experience - and a couple of simple programs - are enough to get me through the contracts I've got.

By the way, I didn't wait for my activation key to be sent by Alchemy. (It's night here in Europe, and I assume I'll get it tomorrow or so.) I did my "testing" without all the components working, but I'm 100% sure that having the whole thing activated wouldn't have affected my decision to get rid of the program; I simply don't need such a complicated tool.

Anyway, I've just done a system restore* on my trusty IBM / Windows XP machine, and it's bye-bye Alchemy Publisher. (By the way, it's version 2.05 and not 2.5).

I guess some bigger players might find it useful, but I find it hard to believe that a freelancer working alone would ever need such a cumbersome "piece of equipment".

I've been wrong before ...

JoeG

* Each of the three components creates its own system restore point - which I didn't know before I started - so I created one before I began the installation. I think I did the right thing; I was able get rid of all the components in one fell swoop.

[Edited at 2009-10-28 22:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-28 22:35 GMT]
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I´ve received the email Oct 28, 2009

Hi!

I´ll starting downloading tomorrow morning and let you knwo how it works.

To Aniello,

The email says Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5, not 2.05.

Regards,
Marina

Laura Scipioni
Laura Scipioni
English to Italian
+ ...
Got it! Oct 28, 2009

Hi everybody,

I've just received an email from Alchemy with the download link.

I'm going to dowload and try it as soon as possible.

Cheers!
Laura

Raffaella Panigada
Raffaella Panigada  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Got it too Oct 29, 2009

I guess it was sent in batches after all. The link to the European Ftp server didn't work for me, so I'm trying to download the program through the Asian one.

Cheers!
Raffaella

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Just downloaded Oct 29, 2009

I have just downloaded the installation package from the US/Asian server. It was much faster than the European one.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:39
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Сongratulations! We've been had! All of us! Oct 29, 2009

Are we going to get 2.5 sometime?
Are we supposed to get a free upgrade later?
Are we going to treat the software developer seriously from now on?

===

The installer tells me that I need to install Microsoft SQL Server Express and, since my OS is not in English, I "should download the relevant localized installation package from Microsoft and install the SQL fo
... See more
Are we going to get 2.5 sometime?
Are we supposed to get a free upgrade later?
Are we going to treat the software developer seriously from now on?

===

The installer tells me that I need to install Microsoft SQL Server Express and, since my OS is not in English, I "should download the relevant localized installation package from Microsoft and install the SQL following our installation guide"

http://www.proz.com/forum/alchemy_support/149381-installing_alchemy_publisher_205_in_a_non_english_os.html

***!

[Редактировалось 2009-10-29 11:48 GMT]
Collapse

Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor
Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
how to activate? Oct 29, 2009

I also received it however, I couldn't activate. Where is the licence file? Probably, due to extreme tiredness, i couldn't find it:) How did you manage to activate?

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
e-mail Oct 29, 2009

You are supposed to select Step 1, and send them an e-mail, and they are supposed to return the key file in reply.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Received the certification key this morning Oct 29, 2009

Yesterday I followed the steps to send Alchemy an email (auto populated text and address) and this morning received the certification key in an automated reply email.

Dear Valued-Client,
Thank you for purchasing Alchemy PUBLISHER, an advanced TM for documentation.
Attached to this mail you'll find your personal Product Certificate. This is used during product activation to customise your copy of Alchemy PUBLISHER. To complete your product activation, please foll
... See more
Yesterday I followed the steps to send Alchemy an email (auto populated text and address) and this morning received the certification key in an automated reply email.

Dear Valued-Client,
Thank you for purchasing Alchemy PUBLISHER, an advanced TM for documentation.
Attached to this mail you'll find your personal Product Certificate. This is used during product activation to customise your copy of Alchemy PUBLISHER. To complete your product activation, please follow these simple steps:-

Save this Product Certificate to your Desktop. Click on it and using the second mouse button select Save As and specify your Desktop as the location for your Certificate. (Show me)

If you are upgrading from a previous version of Alchemy PUBLISHER, please goto your Alchemy PUBLISHER installation folder and delete all your previous *.lic files. (Show me)

Now launch Alchemy PUBLISHER and select Activate from the welcome screen. Follow the instructions on the screen to activate your personal copy of Alchemy PUBLISHER. (Show me)
Congratulations! You've now activated your personal copy of Alchemy PUBLISHER,
The Digital Alchemists

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Be careful Oct 29, 2009

If you have Across installed, then you may have problems installing Publisher. Making changes in SQL settings can be easy for an expert user but I will not risk my current configuration.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FREE Alchemy PUBLISHER 2.5 - for attendees at Virtual Conference

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »