Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Why do we repeatedly publish the same topics in the forums?
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:48
French to English
Search engine Mar 3, 2010

PAS wrote:

The only thing I can say for myself is that it is very difficult (or at least not very easy) to punch in a search phrase that would bring up the right thread

I agree, I don't find the forum search function particularly easy to work. But you can get google, or the search engine of your choice, to search the site, using the type of search that you know usually works for you.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:48
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Why? -- Why NOT? Mar 3, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:
Please, enumerate your opinion below
1) We do not care about previous forums on the same topic
2) We do not know or ignore that an advanced search function for the forums exists
3) There are issues of general interest for those no appropriate solution has been found until now

4) We are not keeping score or statistics
5) We are new to the forums
6) We are eager to have a discussion and don't even think of doing preliminary research (we are not here to seek proper terminology, we come here for *opinions* and *sharing of experiences*)
Honestly Pablo, who cares if something's been already discussed a gazzillion times? Each time we get a chance of hearing fresh and new opinions; both problems/solutions and forum users change over time. Who could be bothered by recurring topics, really (and why)? For goodness sakes... why waste our time on a *non-issue* like this??
(((Ooops... I just did)))
;')

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:48
French to German
+ ...
I would vote... Mar 3, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Please, enumerate your opinion below

1) We do not care about previous forums on the same topic
2) We do not know or ignore that an advanced search function for the forums exists
3) There are issues of general interest for those no appropriate solution has been found until now

I would vote for option 3, without too much hesitation. Recurring themes are symptoms of a malaise; the ailment in itself is seen as being as "non curable" or accepted as a consequence of the modern "Live and let die" mentality.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
An answerer opinion Mar 3, 2010

Well, I will not vote.
Or better said, I did vote and made my choice.
This is quite simple: I retire. No more answers to numerous threads.
I will answer when I am in a mood to do so. You may say it sound selfish? Then it is selfish. After 10 years I think there is time to start to be selfish.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Well played Mar 3, 2010

Well played, sir.

[Edited at 2010-03-03 19:13 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:48
French to English
The point is... Mar 3, 2010

ildiko wrote:
Honestly Pablo, who cares if something's been already discussed a gazzillion times? Each time we get a chance of hearing fresh and new opinions; both problems/solutions and forum users change over time.

... to keep things together that can be usefully found together. If everything about one topic is in one thread, that saves people asking questions that have already been answered, it saves people answering questions that have already been answered, come to that, and yet does not rule out the possibility of new opinions or indeed facts or technologies being added to an existing thread. It becomes a useful repository. It means that a n00b asking about windows 7 or disk partitioning doesn't lose out on valuable info becos the experts are on holdiday that week, or just too busy to bother coming to proz to see what has been posted. It keeps forums to manageable sizes (admittedly, the length of individual threads may become formidable!) . In short, there is no argument that I can think of in favour of a laissez-faire approach that is not knocked into oblivion by the fact that a well-administered forum that makes proper use of the tools available offers everything that the laissez-faire approach offers and countless other benefits on top.

[Edited at 2010-03-03 20:12 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do we repeatedly publish the same topics in the forums?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »