Boosting your site's PR with forum posts
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:04
Italian to English
Fixed? Jan 30, 2010

I drew staff attention to this discussion and I am assured that this problem has now been fixed.
Please say if you find otherwise.

Kristina Radziulyte
Kristina Radziulyte  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 03:04
Member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...

Not fixed Jan 30, 2010

I still see the rel="nofollow" in "Website" and "About me" sections.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's see... Jan 30, 2010

Russell Jones wrote:
I drew staff attention to this discussion and I am assured that this problem has now been fixed. Please say if you find otherwise.

Yep, it's fixed in the forums.

1. New posts in the forum get "nofollow" even if you use the "123" trick.
2. Profiles that used the "123" trick previously still have no "nofollow".

The question is whether profiles that use the "123" trick now will get "nofollow" or not (I'm not going to test it, sorry...).

[Edited at 2010-01-30 13:24 GMT]

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Pagerank is per *page*, not per *site* Jan 30, 2010

I just wanted to respond to a comment somebody mentioned that the PR of "proz.com" is 6. There's really no such notion-- each individual web page has its own Pagerank, and what counts (inasmuch as Pagerank counts-- it's not the be-all and end-all, as has also been mentioned here) is the Pagerank of the *page* that links to your *page*.

In general, forum postings won't have very high Pageranks (many have 0). The fact that, say, the Proz home page has a Pagerank of 6 (or whatever) ess
... See more
I just wanted to respond to a comment somebody mentioned that the PR of "proz.com" is 6. There's really no such notion-- each individual web page has its own Pagerank, and what counts (inasmuch as Pagerank counts-- it's not the be-all and end-all, as has also been mentioned here) is the Pagerank of the *page* that links to your *page*.

In general, forum postings won't have very high Pageranks (many have 0). The fact that, say, the Proz home page has a Pagerank of 6 (or whatever) essentially has no bearing on the link from a forum posting/your profile unless you're lucky enough to also have a direct link from the Proz home page to your profile/posting.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Neil Jan 30, 2010

Neil Coffey wrote:
Each individual web page has its own Pagerank, and what counts (inasmuch as Pagerank counts) is the Pagerank of the *page* that links to your *page*.

Well, the only concrete information we have about PageRank is the patent filed by Larry Page, and that thing is several years old and would probably have been developed further by now. So I can't confirm that PageRank is not site sensitive.

However, my original post was not so much about PageRank as it was about the general principle of relevance transfer that occurs when a popular subject-specific site links to another site that is also about that subject or topic. The fact was that people were able to bypass the nofollow property previously, and they can no longer do that.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Essentially by page... Jan 31, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
So I can't confirm that PageRank is not site sensitive.

Yeeeees, this is sort of true, in the same way we can't absolutely *confirm* that it's not sensitive to the colour of Larry Page's underpants.

But, by all available description (see http://www.google.com/corporate/tech.html) and observation of what in practice seems to happen to page rank, I think it's fair to say that the consensus among developers is that it's essentially by page.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Boosting your site's PR with forum posts

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »