Are MS automatic security updates advisable?
Thread poster: Spanish-English Translator
Spanish-English Translator
Local time: 00:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 2, 2009

Microsoft performs these security updates when I turn on and turn off my PC.
Are they necessary?
I am using XP Professional 5.1. Thanks and regards, AT

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:14
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I treat them as lesser evil Jul 2, 2009

and allow my system (at the moment Vista Ultimate) for such updates. I believe that it reduces the risk of hacker attacks etc. After all the idea of security updates is to fix known security issues (also known to hackers).

Stanislaw

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:14
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I treat them as the BIG evil Jul 2, 2009

I have a good anti-virus for my computer's security. Letting Windows install patches automatically always causes trouble, as they tend to forget that you have other software installed and that you actually use the computer. In the end some software will stop working. When the computer works nicely, I want to keep it that way. So I have automatic updates disabled in my machines.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:14
English to French
+ ...
Make sure you have complete control over updates Jul 2, 2009

I set up my security updates to stay where they are and only download them when I specifically request it. I also pick and choose which updates I download.

A few years back, there was an update for Word 2000 (if I'm not mistaken) which was a total fiasco. Upon installing it, millions of people were unable to use Word. I think we all agree that this is a no-no when you work in the translation industry.

So, I'd say that these updates are necessary, but you should have com
... See more
I set up my security updates to stay where they are and only download them when I specifically request it. I also pick and choose which updates I download.

A few years back, there was an update for Word 2000 (if I'm not mistaken) which was a total fiasco. Upon installing it, millions of people were unable to use Word. I think we all agree that this is a no-no when you work in the translation industry.

So, I'd say that these updates are necessary, but you should have complete control over them. I get notifications when updates are available, but they don't install until I say so. You can pick the updates you wish to install and discard the others. You even have the option not to be offered certain updates again. One such update is the Windows genuine installation update - it checks if you have a genuine copy of Windows installed. I am against installing files that will take up room on my computer whose only role is for MS to ensure I am not cheating them out of their money. I know my copy of Windows is genuine and I am definitely not installing useless stuff just because MS thinks some people run pirate copies of Windows.

If you are offered updates that will probably significantly modify something important (like your Word installation), hold off installing them for a few days and keep an eye on this and other forums to see if anybody complains about it. If all seems okay, then you can go ahead and install the update. This of course doesn't apply to security updates - it is best to install these without discrimination and as soon as possible. And if you have good anti-virus protection, then I doubt the Windows mailicious software removal tool will be of any benefit to you (you get one of these about once a week). In any case, there are updates you don't need and they would only take up room on your drive. If you've had your computer for a couple of years, these useless updates are already taking up a lot of room on your drive for no good reason. In fact, I wonder if there is a way to know how many megabytes of files are on my computer that were installed this way and that are just squatting there uselessly...
Collapse

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 22:14
Spanish to English
No to MS Corrupdates Jul 2, 2009

Keep cpntrol over your PC. Do not trust the instant fixes and patches that consistently over the years just lead to needing more and more patches. These thoughtless updates usually just open up more holes and problems in your system.

Local time: 00:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Accept security updates / reject the rest? Jul 2, 2009

Thank you Richard, Victoria, Stanislaw and Tomas. So the best advice is to download the security updates and to reject the rest?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are MS automatic security updates advisable?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »