Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:03
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Feb 5, 2008

Dear members,

As part of a wide program of profile improvement, section 6, "Default rates" of the profile updater has been completely redesigned. For this development we set the following objectives:
  • To give a clear indication of the completion of the section in the profile. If no action is taken, the status of this section of the profile updater will show as red. If the user enters the information or declines to do so, both ... See more
Dear members,

As part of a wide program of profile improvement, section 6, "Default rates" of the profile updater has been completely redesigned. For this development we set the following objectives:
  • To give a clear indication of the completion of the section in the profile. If no action is taken, the status of this section of the profile updater will show as red. If the user enters the information or declines to do so, both of these cases will complete the section, which will be shown as green
  • Provide clear movement from one option to another within the profile updater section, allowing the user to change, add or remove information, with instructions provided where needed
  • A button with information about the importance of the information contained in the section
  • A button with help information (the relevant FAQs and a button to submit a support request if the former were not helpful enough)
  • A single point of entry to edit rate information (other areas that allowed entering and editing of rates were deactivated and all now lead to this new interface

We look forward to your feedback on the above, as we plan to move in this direction in other sections of the profile updater.

Users will be offered the possibility of entering minimum and default values for per-word and per-hour rates, with the possibility of selecting currency and visibility.

As before, if you establish your rate range, you will not be bothered with notifications for jobs below your minimums

A couple of small changes were introduced regarding the handling of rates in the profile. In particular:
  • The concept of maximum rate was abandoned
  • Your ability to quote on posted jobs is no longer limited by the rates in your profile.
  • You may now change your rates whenever you want. Formerly you could do it only after three months from last rate update.

Please bear in mind that this modification concerns profiles, not rates. There will be more substantive improvements on rates at a later date. I kindly ask you to focus this thread on the profile aspects of this implementation.

Kind regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:03
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
One suggestion Feb 5, 2008

Many thanks, Enrique, for working on this further improvement to our profiles.

I have just one suggestion. I tried to enter my default rates just now, but could not. The reason is that I only found a box to write in my rate "per word". I know that, in most language pairs, this is probably the rate per source word. However, with my language pair (German into English), we cannot afford to charge by source word, since that would put us out of business, as many German "words" consist of
... See more
Many thanks, Enrique, for working on this further improvement to our profiles.

I have just one suggestion. I tried to enter my default rates just now, but could not. The reason is that I only found a box to write in my rate "per word". I know that, in most language pairs, this is probably the rate per source word. However, with my language pair (German into English), we cannot afford to charge by source word, since that would put us out of business, as many German "words" consist of word compounds, which can be added onto indefinitely. In this language pair we can only quote by either target word or source line. A box for price per source line would be particularly useful, as that is the fairest way of counting German text and is the industry standard in Germany.

The effect of entering simply a price "per word" and making it visible to outsourcers, in this language pair, would be that some agencies would deliberately take this to be an offer per source word, which would result in an unusually low rate for the job. Please let us have a source line box.

Astrid
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:03
Italian to English
Glad I checked Feb 8, 2008

The changes appear to have affected the visibility of rates. Mine were previously hidden but were now shown as visible to everyone.

Picking up on Astrid's point, most Italian agencies don't use per word pricing; they use "cartelle" (1,500 key strokes or 1,800 in legal / publishing fields) - one of the reasons I don't display my rates.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:03
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
More improvements on the way Feb 12, 2008

Russell Jones wrote:

The changes appear to have affected the visibility of rates. Mine were previously hidden but were now shown as visible to everyone.

Picking up on Astrid's point, most Italian agencies don't use per word pricing; they use "cartelle" (1,500 key strokes or 1,800 in legal / publishing fields) - one of the reasons I don't display my rates.

Thanks Russell,

The default rates field was changed in a way that will ensure a better handling of rates information (and serve as the basis for future improvements). I am sorry to learn that the visibility was affected in your case.

We look forward to adding soon other ways of expressing rates (per cartelle, per day, etc.). More substantive changes are planed for implementation at a lated date.

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improved interface for entering your default rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »