Turning on/off all Kudoz mail options with a single click (T)
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 22:20
German to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2003

Although Kudoz questions are often the only glimmer of light on certain days when other people's translations are a lot more interesting than my own, there are times when I'd like to have the option of not receiving any KudoZ questions. This could be either for a day or two (due to pressing deadlines) or for a few weeks (holidays, death-threats from fellow members, etc.).

As far as I can make out, the only way to do this is to click away all the individual KudoZ notification options
... See more
Although Kudoz questions are often the only glimmer of light on certain days when other people's translations are a lot more interesting than my own, there are times when I'd like to have the option of not receiving any KudoZ questions. This could be either for a day or two (due to pressing deadlines) or for a few weeks (holidays, death-threats from fellow members, etc.).

As far as I can make out, the only way to do this is to click away all the individual KudoZ notification options on the personal e-mail settings, and while this is not exactly a lot of work, the one-click option would be handy.

If a similar option does already exist, my apologies – but let me know where it is so that I can turn everything off for a few months and crawl back when everyone has forgotten me...

[Edited at 2003-08-20 10:40]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 20:57]
Collapse

Maciej Andrzejczak
Maciej Andrzejczak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
fully agree Aug 20, 2003

Ian Winick wrote:

As far as I can make out, the only way to do this is to click away all the individual KudoZ notification options on the personal e-mail settings, and while this is not exactly a lot of work, the one-click option would be handy.

If a similar option does already exist, my apologies – but let me know where it is so that I can turn everything off for a few months and crawl back when everyone has forgotten me...

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:20
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
The reasons why I prefer it as it is Aug 20, 2003

Hi Ian

First of all, as far as I know, you're right, it's the only way to swith off KudoZ notifications.
I used to be subscribed to
En-Sp, En-Fr, Fr-Sp, Sp-Fr, Fr monolingual and Sp monolingual.
Some months ago I switched off En-Sp and kept the others. When I'm busy I switch off En-Fr, and if I'm very busy I just keep the pair that I moderate and the monolinguals. But if I'm not away I never switch off all the questions.
It's a matter of quantity. I do like the fact that the system allows to chose as freely as that, first, and the fact that it's activated immediately.

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quick clarification Aug 20, 2003

Hi Claudia,

Just to clarify - I wasn't suggesting a one-click option as a replacement for clicking on and off the individual pairs, but rather as an additional overriding option.

For example, I'd like to be able to switch KudoZ off for a day or two and then switch it back on again with all my settings still in place.

All the best

Ian

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:20
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
OK Aug 20, 2003

but rather as an additional overriding option.

I see now, I thought it was instead of what we have.

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
I wanted to suggest that myself Aug 20, 2003

While I was away on a Powwow I had 500 messages in my inbox when I came back, but I didn't want to go through the whole process of swithing off the options individually and then turn them back on.
Glad someone else suggested this before I could.

Katherine Zei
Katherine Zei  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:20
Italian to English
+ ...
<i>Very</i> good idea... Aug 20, 2003

... and especially useful for pre-vacation preparation.

Great suggestion. Is it feasible?

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 23:20
English to Bulgarian
Agreed Aug 20, 2003

I've also thought about that. I hope it wouldn't be that difficult.

To extend the issue, there could be three check boxes: to switch off

A) KudoZ notifications,
B) job notifications, and
C) forum notifications.

Or, if we get more detailed:

A1) KudoZ notifications for new questions only (leaving on notifications about comments/grading to your own questions and those you have answered), and
A2) all KudoZ notifications

... See more
I've also thought about that. I hope it wouldn't be that difficult.

To extend the issue, there could be three check boxes: to switch off

A) KudoZ notifications,
B) job notifications, and
C) forum notifications.

Or, if we get more detailed:

A1) KudoZ notifications for new questions only (leaving on notifications about comments/grading to your own questions and those you have answered), and
A2) all KudoZ notifications

I guess each of these could be useful under certain circumstances.

[Edited at 2003-08-20 23:34]
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
As simple as that Aug 21, 2003

Ian Winick wrote:

Hi Claudia,

Just to clarify - I wasn't suggesting a one-click option as a replacement for clicking on and off the individual pairs, but rather as an additional overriding option.

For example, I'd like to be able to switch KudoZ off for a day or two and then switch it back on again with all my settings still in place.

All the best

Ian

Great idea indeed.
Sylvain.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Turning on/off all Kudoz mail options with a single click (T)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »