Connect job arrives with notice that the job is already closed and no more bids are being accepted
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2008

I just received a connect job announcement but when I scrolled to the bottom of the page, this was the message:
This job has been closed.
No more quotes are being accepted.
What's the point of mailing it to people in that case?

[Edited at 2008-08-08 12:45]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:56
English to German
+ ...
Submit a Support Request Aug 8, 2008

Hi writeaway,
Please submit a Support Request to ProZ.com staff, quoting the URL of the job posting, so they can look into what went wrong.

Best regards,
Ralf

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf! Aug 8, 2008

Will do.

irene varela
irene varela  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you get answer from Connect jobs? Aug 8, 2008

Hi everybody!

I have received at least 4 or 5 Connect job notifications since I´ve become a member. I was really enthusiastic at the beginning and send my CV + rates etc ie the usual stuff. Never got an answer. I know that probably I am not the translator they´re looking for but has any of you got a job thru Connect?

Thanks a lot to everybody
Irene Varela

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nope, not yet... Aug 8, 2008

irene varela wrote:

Hi everybody!

I have received at least 4 or 5 Connect job notifications since I´ve become a member. I was really enthusiastic at the beginning and send my CV + rates etc ie the usual stuff. Never got an answer. I know that probably I am not the translator they´re looking for but has any of you got a job thru Connect?

Thanks a lot to everybody
Irene Varela

Same here. Not a single job through the Connect job. They asked me to do a couple of test translations and that was it...

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:56
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The same here Aug 8, 2008

not even a single answer. My impression is these job posters reckon with (you know which country I mean) prices, not realistic ones. Of course, I do not blame ProZ on it, as ProZ does not set any prices for any offers, nor, by it's policy interferes in this "market offer" field.

However, maybe it would be good to introduce some stronger criteria for Connect jobs postings? Via Connect I have received offers of 1/4th of our starting price... and this surely degrades "Connect" project
... See more
not even a single answer. My impression is these job posters reckon with (you know which country I mean) prices, not realistic ones. Of course, I do not blame ProZ on it, as ProZ does not set any prices for any offers, nor, by it's policy interferes in this "market offer" field.

However, maybe it would be good to introduce some stronger criteria for Connect jobs postings? Via Connect I have received offers of 1/4th of our starting price... and this surely degrades "Connect" project as such.

Uldis

Tatiana Lammers wrote:
Same here. Not a single job through the Connect job. They asked me to do a couple of test translations and that was it...
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 15:56
SITE STAFF
Making yourself more visible in Connect Aug 8, 2008

Hello all,

I apologize for getting off-topic from writeaway's original post, but I'd like to add to Uldis' thoughts here. Many factors may be involved in an outsourcer choosing you for a given job, but I think that something which can help make sure you are more visible in Connect in your areas is keeping the basic winning strategies of getting the most out of the site:

• Build yourself a strong profile that reflects y... See more
  • Hello all,

I apologize for getting off-topic from writeaway's original post, but I'd like to add to Uldis' thoughts here. Many factors may be involved in an outsourcer choosing you for a given job, but I think that something which can help make sure you are more visible in Connect in your areas is keeping the basic winning strategies of getting the most out of the site:

• Build yourself a strong profile that reflects you as a professional. Completing your Profile Updater is important, but so are other details, like ordering your language pairs and specializations. An excellent "About me" text can make a difference. Even details such as your profile picture and tagline can help ensure you catch a potential client's eye and are easily remembered. Making sure your profile effectively tells outsourcers what you do, and what you are good at, is essential.

• Specialize. Finding your niche, and emphasizing your specialty can be more effective than marketing yourself as an all-around general translator.

• Answer KudoZ. Giving good answers in KudoZ in your top language pair and specialty will help make sure you are high up in the directories. Spending a bit of time each month in KudoZ can make a difference.

• Become a member if you are not already one, as paid members of the site have a definite advantage over registered users.

Connect jobs can be more competitive. Thinking of your profile as your "shop window" and filling it accordingly can give you that extra edge.

Jared ▲ Collapse

•  
    Ivana Friis Søndergaard
    Ivana Friis Søndergaard
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 19:56
    Member (2008)
    English to Danish
    + ...
    I got one! Aug 8, 2008

I got a job via Connect recently - it is possible

writeaway
    French to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Afaik, I never received an NL-EN Connect offer (open or closed) when I was a member Aug 9, 2008

Since we've gone a bit off topic and this issue has been raised, when I was still a member (haven't renewed my membership as I am waiting for a reply to questions I mailed to site staff), afaik I never received a single Nl-En Connect job offer. I did receive a few Fr-En Connect job offers, but for fields I never work in.
    I was visible near the top of the first page in the general directories as well as in some directories for specific fields in both these language pairs.
    How does be
    ... See more
    Since we've gone a bit off topic and this issue has been raised, when I was still a member (haven't renewed my membership as I am waiting for a reply to questions I mailed to site staff), afaik I never received a single Nl-En Connect job offer. I did receive a few Fr-En Connect job offers, but for fields I never work in.
    I was visible near the top of the first page in the general directories as well as in some directories for specific fields in both these language pairs.
    How does being a member help a person's chances in this case? What are the criteria used for sending out the messages in the first place?

Jared wrote:

Hello all,

• Build yourself a strong profile that reflects you as a professional. Completing your Profile Updater is important, but so are other details, like ordering your language pairs and specializations. An excellent "About me" text can make a difference. Even details such as your profile picture and tagline can help ensure you catch a potential client's eye and are easily remembered. Making sure your profile effectively tells outsourcers what you do, and what you are good at, is essential.

• Specialize. Finding your niche, and emphasizing your specialty can be more effective than marketing yourself as an all-around general translator.

• Answer KudoZ. Giving good answers in KudoZ in your top language pair and specialty will help make sure you are high up in the directories. Spending a bit of time each month in KudoZ can make a difference.

• Become a member if you are not already one, as paid members of the site have a definite advantage over registered users.

Connect jobs can be more competitive. Thinking of your profile as your "shop window" and filling it accordingly can give you that extra edge.

Jared
  • Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Connect job arrives with notice that the job is already closed and no more bids are being accepted

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »