Change "Charter member" to another name (changed to "basic" - thanks)
Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 26, 2005

I have been wondering what a charter member is and at the beginning believed it was a title of special honor (something like an honorary Doctorate degree from Oxford) and hence I regarded every member with this title with great respect and thought agencies with this title utterly reliable. How I wanted to be one myself! But later I found it's just a title for any unpaid members without a photo uploaded!

I believe many people would misunderstand this and think my way. If this is true
... See more
I have been wondering what a charter member is and at the beginning believed it was a title of special honor (something like an honorary Doctorate degree from Oxford) and hence I regarded every member with this title with great respect and thought agencies with this title utterly reliable. How I wanted to be one myself! But later I found it's just a title for any unpaid members without a photo uploaded!

I believe many people would misunderstand this and think my way. If this is true, could the site owner change it to some other titles?

Thanks.

[Edited at 2005-03-26 12:53]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-03-26 22:19]
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:50
German to English
Now that you mention it... Mar 26, 2005

When I first joined proz, I also found that 'charter member' implied a loftier status of some sort. It took me a while to realize the difference. A change to something else -- 'basic member,' 'novice member,' 'too-lazy-to-put-up-an-image-member', who knows -- might well be in order.

Cheers!

Steven

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Charter member = Non-paying member Mar 26, 2005

That's all there is to this "mystery". Hence I'd be in favour of using "non-paying member".

Steffen

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Yes, but... Mar 26, 2005

Steffen Walter wrote:

That's all there is to this "mystery". Hence I'd be in favour of using "non-paying member".

Steffen

You're absolutely right, Steffen, except that lots of people are non-paying members but we don't see 'charter' on their profile because there is a picture there.

My only problem with 'non-paying member' is that it has a somewhat negative cast to it, yet is not quite accurate. If I'm not mistaken, there are lots of people who do not go platinum but who pay by the bid when the see a job of interest. Hence they are paying members.

Not that I have a better solution just now, mind you...

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My major concern Mar 26, 2005

I appreciate the efforts made by Proz.com to help its non-paying members and enhance their image especially when no picture is uploaded.

But my major concern is non-paying agencies also got this "charter member" label and some of them (I am sorry to make this guess) may even take advantage of this to advertise themselves to transaltors and clients.

I used to think a "charter member" agency is 100% reliable and even advitised them to my colleagues as such. But I was su
... See more
I appreciate the efforts made by Proz.com to help its non-paying members and enhance their image especially when no picture is uploaded.

But my major concern is non-paying agencies also got this "charter member" label and some of them (I am sorry to make this guess) may even take advantage of this to advertise themselves to transaltors and clients.

I used to think a "charter member" agency is 100% reliable and even advitised them to my colleagues as such. But I was surely in the wrong!
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:50
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

"Basic membership" Mar 26, 2005

"Charter member" is not my favorite term for referring to a member with a basic profile. And I, too, was much confused by the appearance of the term. To the extent that when I paid for my first Platinum membership (when "Platinum" replaced "Premium"), I was shocked to see that I no longer had the designation "charter member" under my name. In my experience, a "charter member" is someone who joins an organization at the time it is *chartered*; that is, one is designated a "charter member" only... See more
"Charter member" is not my favorite term for referring to a member with a basic profile. And I, too, was much confused by the appearance of the term. To the extent that when I paid for my first Platinum membership (when "Platinum" replaced "Premium"), I was shocked to see that I no longer had the designation "charter member" under my name. In my experience, a "charter member" is someone who joins an organization at the time it is *chartered*; that is, one is designated a "charter member" only if one joins at the time the organization is founded.

I agree with Steffen that we should be using a descriptive term, rather than the mysterious "charter member." I'm suggesting "basic membership," rather than "non-paying member," to keep the emphasis on the function, not the entity or individual behind it, and to take the monetary aspect out of the equation.
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Basic membership Mar 26, 2005

"Basic membership". That sounds good to me too. I have always felt confused with "charter member" as well. To me it means that the member was one of the first ones to help found an organization or association.
Gayle

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 22:50
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, everyone - now it says "basic" - except for the first 10,000 profiles Mar 26, 2005

Thanks, everyone. Now the message says "Basic"--unless the profile is one of the first 10,000. That is around the time we started offering paying services, so in a sense these were our charter members. (Or at least it feels like they were to me... probably there are not too many groups with ten thousand charter members.)

If anyone objects, though, I'll reduce the 'chartered' set to 1000... or 100... but please let it be more than 1....
See more
Thanks, everyone. Now the message says "Basic"--unless the profile is one of the first 10,000. That is around the time we started offering paying services, so in a sense these were our charter members. (Or at least it feels like they were to me... probably there are not too many groups with ten thousand charter members.)

If anyone objects, though, I'll reduce the 'chartered' set to 1000... or 100... but please let it be more than 1.

Henry
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 26, 2005

Henry wrote:

If anyone objects, though, I'll reduce the 'chartered' set to 1000... or 100... but please let it be more than 1.

Henry

Thanks Henry. I think that reflects the meaning of "charter member"£®

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change "Charter member" to another name (changed to "basic" - thanks)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »