Thread poster: Kent Berggren
Kent Berggren
Kent Berggren  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:56
German to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 12, 2013

I hope this is the correct forum.
Have got a proofreading task where the client has sent me two XML files of translated user manuals.
The first file is the source language and the second file is the translated file. The customer wants proofreading and creating a TM at the same time. Later they want to translate updates in accross. Now to my questions.
To be able to proofread with the source as referens how do I import the source and the translated file to any CAT tools for the
... See more
I hope this is the correct forum.
Have got a proofreading task where the client has sent me two XML files of translated user manuals.
The first file is the source language and the second file is the translated file. The customer wants proofreading and creating a TM at the same time. Later they want to translate updates in accross. Now to my questions.
To be able to proofread with the source as referens how do I import the source and the translated file to any CAT tools for the proofreading?
Anyone who have done any similar work?
Ha anyone done this in accross, and if yes how?

Thanks for any tip!!
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:56
French to English
Alignment Sep 12, 2013

I think you need to align the two files first, in order to create the TM. LF Aligner was recently recommended to me here on these forums, but I haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. I usually use PlusTools.

Once the files are aligned, you would "translate" as usual in your preferred CAT tool, making the necessary proofreading changes as you go along. That way, the TM will contain all the corrected segments, and you can send the tmx export to your client (if that's required) alo
... See more
I think you need to align the two files first, in order to create the TM. LF Aligner was recently recommended to me here on these forums, but I haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. I usually use PlusTools.

Once the files are aligned, you would "translate" as usual in your preferred CAT tool, making the necessary proofreading changes as you go along. That way, the TM will contain all the corrected segments, and you can send the tmx export to your client (if that's required) along with the proofread document.

No idea about how to do this in Across, I am not familiar with that tool.

I hope you are charging more than your usual proofreading rate for this job, depending on what the files are like, alignment can be a time-consuming task!
Collapse

PatrickMoreschi
PatrickMoreschi
United States
Local time: 12:56
Proofreading Apr 29, 2014

Proofreading and creating a TM at the same time is quite difficult. It is fairly suitable to open the text segments one after another & see the source text in one box & the target text in another one. Using CAT tools make the work of a translator easier.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading XML document

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »