MA in translation distance learning
Tópico cartaz: tazarine
tazarine
tazarine
Local time: 02:47
inglês
Jul 16, 2007

I have applied for the MAs in translation from the University of West England and from Portsmouth University. I work full time in a publishing company and I think these courses will enable me to study at my own pace and obtain a Master. I would like to make sure that I will get a good training as a translator. Has anyone attended one of these courses? Which one do you think is best?

Thanks for your help

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Local time: 03:47
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Hearsay Jul 17, 2007

I have heard that the MA in Translation in Bristol (University of West England) has a good reputation. The last time I visited their website the programme seemed to be very theoretical, but I see that they have restructured it and that there is more emphasis on CAT tools and practical translation courses.

I cannot comment on the Portsmouth course. I did take a look at their website, but it says that they will be offering it in distance mode from October 2007 on. The syllabus presen
... See more
I have heard that the MA in Translation in Bristol (University of West England) has a good reputation. The last time I visited their website the programme seemed to be very theoretical, but I see that they have restructured it and that there is more emphasis on CAT tools and practical translation courses.

I cannot comment on the Portsmouth course. I did take a look at their website, but it says that they will be offering it in distance mode from October 2007 on. The syllabus presented on their page looks rather theoretical to me, no language-specific or practical translation courses (as far as I can see, but I may be wrong here).

I think both courses sound interesting, but they are very general in nature, no specialization here or a deeper look at any subject matter such as law, medicine, IT, etc.

I don't know what you are planning to do after these courses. Maybe you are looking for an in-house position, in which case I believe both courses will be beneficial to you.

Sonja
Collapse

tazarine
tazarine
Local time: 02:47
inglês
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
project management Jul 17, 2007

Hi,

Thank you for your answer, I am looking to expand my career prospects within the publishing/translation industry, so I don't mind a rather general course as I want a training in translation in order to do some project management in this field. However, I would rather invest my time and money in a well-recognized course.

quote]tazarine wrote:

I have applied for the MAs in translation from the University of West E
... See more
Hi,

Thank you for your answer, I am looking to expand my career prospects within the publishing/translation industry, so I don't mind a rather general course as I want a training in translation in order to do some project management in this field. However, I would rather invest my time and money in a well-recognized course.

quote]tazarine wrote:

I have applied for the MAs in translation from the University of West England and from Portsmouth University. I work full time in a publishing company and I think these courses will enable me to study at my own pace and obtain a Master. I would like to make sure that I will get a good training as a translator. Has anyone attended one of these courses? Which one do you think is best?

Thanks for your help [/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA in translation distance learning

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »