Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you start your day by organizing your daily translation work through a translation platform?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fruitful day Jun 11, 2016

I came home feeling a bit down because one of my turntables isn't working (my technician will repair it in due course, no cost). After reading and reflecting on the answers here, my spirits were lifted.

Some answers made me smile. Some answers made me feel concerned about the lungs of some of my colleagues (you know smoking is bad for you, right?).

I suppose the pollster was thinking of online translation platforms such as Wordbee, Idiom WorldServer, Lingotek or
... See more
I came home feeling a bit down because one of my turntables isn't working (my technician will repair it in due course, no cost). After reading and reflecting on the answers here, my spirits were lifted.

Some answers made me smile. Some answers made me feel concerned about the lungs of some of my colleagues (you know smoking is bad for you, right?).

I suppose the pollster was thinking of online translation platforms such as Wordbee, Idiom WorldServer, Lingotek or similar offerings I haven't seen (there are too many, not counting the proprietary products).

I used to be more regimented when starting my day. In my college days, when I had to mind every penny and dollar I made, I strictly kept to my monthly budget. I would live each day and each week and month measuring how productive I had been, whether I had achieved this or that goal.

I abandoned that model decades ago because measuring productivity saps my energy and brings me no joy or sense of accomplishment. By the way, accomplishments are fleeting, so I enjoy them at the moment, when I get them. Each day is a new piece of unknowns. I wouldn't spoil the surprise by using an online platform.
Collapse

Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not really... Jun 12, 2016

I don't get enough consistent work to be able to do that every morning. I get work a few times a week but to keep track of what I'm working and upcoming due dates I go to Asana and enter the due dates so that I receive an email notification before the work is due. Once it's complete and I've emailed it back to the client/agency I then go to Asana and check the task as complete.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:46
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Jun 12, 2016

I go to Kyoto Station and get the 8:15 from platform 1.

Joking aside, the day begins with a good cuppa tea, followed by lots of menial tasks such as putting the washing out to get the sleep out of eyes and my head.

Then, maybe after about 30 or 40 minutes, I'm ready to fire up the computers and sift through the mails before I actually start opening files and working on them.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:46
French to English
joke of the day Jun 12, 2016

thanks one and all for giving me a laugh

so I too start with a couple of coffees, the cat is fed in the stairs and the dog in the kitchen

I do all the time waster stuff like viedemerde.fr and FB, then to warm up for work I check the poll of the day.

I actually finish my working day by ticking my to-do list, and then write a new one out, sometimes numbering things when there are early deadlines

so come morning I don't have to plan unless an eme
... See more
thanks one and all for giving me a laugh

so I too start with a couple of coffees, the cat is fed in the stairs and the dog in the kitchen

I do all the time waster stuff like viedemerde.fr and FB, then to warm up for work I check the poll of the day.

I actually finish my working day by ticking my to-do list, and then write a new one out, sometimes numbering things when there are early deadlines

so come morning I don't have to plan unless an emergency comes up that will eat up more than a psychological 5 minutes.

Is this an appropriate place to moan about overuse of the word platform in IT waffle? because there seem to be far more platforms than high-speed trains
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you start your day by organizing your daily translation work through a translation platform?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »