Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: How do you prefer to receive payments?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:50
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Bank transfer Jan 9, 2014

And with smaller amounts PayPal is fine.

But my bank always deducts a fee, even within the Eurozone.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 9, 2014

Bank transfer is best if there's no fee, but in some cases I'm charged US$ 35.00 regardless of the amount, plus currency exchange costs. I can lose a ton of money.

In such cases, my preference is a check - no fees at all if it's in US dollars. It means a trip to the bank, but I go near the bank once a week, and the new ATM machines no longer require a deposit slip. It seems like magic when the machines accurately read even handwritten amounts correctly.

PayPal is my thi
... See more
Bank transfer is best if there's no fee, but in some cases I'm charged US$ 35.00 regardless of the amount, plus currency exchange costs. I can lose a ton of money.

In such cases, my preference is a check - no fees at all if it's in US dollars. It means a trip to the bank, but I go near the bank once a week, and the new ATM machines no longer require a deposit slip. It seems like magic when the machines accurately read even handwritten amounts correctly.

PayPal is my third choice. I wish their fees were lower.
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 19:50
Turkish to English
+ ...
To split hairs ... Jan 9, 2014

the eurozone consists of countries that have adopted the euro as their domestic currency, such as here in Cyprus, and neither Croatia nor Denmark are in this zone.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:50
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TranslatorPay Jan 9, 2014

Thayenga wrote:

This year I intend to open a Translators Pay account. Hopefully my clients will accept it.

I opened a www.translatorpay.com account a few months ago. It's great for receiving payments from outside Europe. No fee and a reasonable exchange rate.

Otherwise within Europe, bank transfer is the way to go.

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:50
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Bank or Paypal Jan 9, 2014

I don't really mind either way.
The exchange rate affects Paypal payments worse than the fees, so I just keep Euro and Dollar balances and use them to purchase things, rather than exchanging them for withdrawal. For smaller payments it can work out cheaper than a bank transfer.
As others have stated, even within the EU, some bank charges still apply outside the Eurozone and this is certainly the case for the UK.
I really don't like cheques, especially non-EU ones. My bank is a
... See more
The exchange rate affects Paypal payments worse than the fees, so I just keep Euro and Dollar balances and use them to purchase things, rather than exchanging them for withdrawal. For smaller payments it can work out cheaper than a bank transfer.
As others have stated, even within the EU, some bank charges still apply outside the Eurozone and this is certainly the case for the UK.
I really don't like cheques, especially non-EU ones. My bank is a 2 hour journey away and non-EU cheques aren't paid straight in, but my branch posts them to the headquarters, where they are reviewed. This process takes up to 10 days. I have absolutely no other reason to go into town either, and banks are only open during my key working hours. I would need to levy a $200 surcharge per assignment to justify accepting a cheque.
I would definitely welcome cash, but that would require a local client in the middle of nowhere... not very likely.

[Edited at 2014-01-09 16:40 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Bank transfer Jan 9, 2014

If I bill a customer £100, I expect to get £100.

Not £100 less bank charges. Not £100 less exchange charges.

That's not unreasonable.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
How do I prefer to receive payments? Jan 9, 2014

1) In U.S. dollars (or euros, but that ain't happenin')
2) In cold, hard currency.
3) Sooner than 30 calendar days*
4) Before a big shopping day.
5) Handed out by a “rubia despampanante”** (une femme foxy blonde)

*When you invoice your clients, always make sure you use calendar, not business, days.
** Inside joke with an old friend whose office I'd sometimes use to get messages in the 80s. To my question of “Any message
... See more
1) In U.S. dollars (or euros, but that ain't happenin')
2) In cold, hard currency.
3) Sooner than 30 calendar days*
4) Before a big shopping day.
5) Handed out by a “rubia despampanante”** (une femme foxy blonde)

*When you invoice your clients, always make sure you use calendar, not business, days.
** Inside joke with an old friend whose office I'd sometimes use to get messages in the 80s. To my question of “Any messages for me?” he'd invariably respond, “Yes, a foxy blonde came to see you.”
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unless you love trips to the bank... Jan 9, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

PayPal is my third choice. I wish their fees were lower.

...may I suggest using the bank's mobile app to photodeposit your checks? I do that all the time and my checks are in my account the next morning.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In the middle of nowhere Jan 9, 2014

dianaft wrote:

I really don't like cheques, especially non-EU ones. My bank is a 2 hour journey away and non-EU cheques aren't paid straight in, but my branch posts them to the headquarters, where they are reviewed. This process takes up to 10 days. I have absolutely no other reason to go into town either, and banks are only open during my key working hours. I would need to levy a $200 surcharge per assignment to justify accepting a cheque.
I would definitely welcome cash, but that would require a local client in the middle of nowhere... not very likely.

Pardon my intrusion, but where in the middle of nowhere do you live? Do you live out in the boonies? (American expression, as in 'in the middle of nowhere' in rural areas)

The only place I can think of in America where one would live 2 hours from the nearest bank branch would be North Dakota. Brrr!

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 19:50
Turkish to English
+ ...
Alaska Jan 9, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

dianaft wrote:

Pardon my intrusion, but where in the middle of nowhere do you live? Do you live out in the boonies? (American expression, as in 'in the middle of nowhere' in rural areas)

The only place I can think of in America where one would live 2 hours from the nearest bank branch would be North Dakota. Brrr!

Or Alaska?

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:50
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Absolutely Jan 9, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

dianaft wrote:

Intrude however much you like. Google "Bigton" in "Shetland", "UK" and remember it's single track roads...

Susana Magnani
Susana Magnani  Identity Verified
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
PayPal and bank transfers Jan 9, 2014

Hi all! And happy 2014!

I accept both options, and charge the service fees accordingly in my invoices (this is disclosed in my quotations, obviously).

Thus, I invoice a 4% fee for PayPal payments, and the equivalent of $10 (CAD) per bank transfer (I use my Canadian bank account).

Clients have no problem with that, and it allows me the flexibility of accepting both options.

Never heard of Skrill, I'll check it out.

I have been c
... See more
Hi all! And happy 2014!

I accept both options, and charge the service fees accordingly in my invoices (this is disclosed in my quotations, obviously).

Thus, I invoice a 4% fee for PayPal payments, and the equivalent of $10 (CAD) per bank transfer (I use my Canadian bank account).

Clients have no problem with that, and it allows me the flexibility of accepting both options.

Never heard of Skrill, I'll check it out.

I have been considering credit cards also... any thoughts/experience to share?

[Modifié le 2014-01-09 18:04 GMT]
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mario beat me to it Jan 9, 2014

Cash.

Which is becoming an option now ^_^

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Or... Jan 9, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

Cash.

Which is becoming an option now ^_^

gold coins, bars of latinum, a cruise trip for one and the missus...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you prefer to receive payments?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »