Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How often do you usually receive job enquiries from potential new clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
+1 Nov 19, 2013

Steve Kerry wrote:

1) My CV is on Proz. If you can't be bothered to read it, I can't be bothered to reply.
2) My best rate is my standard rate. This is also on the site.
3) If you have a specific job you want doing SEND THE FILE for me to inspect or at least a proper description and accurate word count.
4) If you are looking for bargain basement rates or 40% CAT discounts, please look elsewhere!

Presumably, though, we are in a minority, otherwise we wouldn't get these emails!

Anna Wiman
Anna Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:17
German to Swedish
+ ...
Haha... I feel you. Nov 19, 2013

Steve Kerry wrote:

Like many other translators, I get loads of "We have a potential job" and "Can you send us your CV and best rate" emails. Most of them are binned. I would suggest the following to people who wish to use my services.

1) My CV is on Proz. If you can't be bothered to read it, I can't be bothered to reply.
2) My best rate is my standard rate. This is also on the site.
3) If you have a specific job you want doing SEND THE FILE for me to inspect or at least a proper description and accurate word count.
4) If you are looking for bargain basement rates or 40% CAT discounts, please look elsewhere!

Phew, I'm glad I got that off my chest...

Steve K.

So frustating...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:17
French to English
Badly phrased question Nov 20, 2013

It is difficult to answer a question which includes two expressions of frequency : "how often" and "usually". I suppose the "usually" means "generally".

I'm getting to be really nit-picky in my old age.

Does someone actually proof-read the questions put to the poll?

[Edited at 2013-11-20 01:50 GMT]

Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not as often Nov 20, 2013

Maybe it's my language pair (English/Chinese), I've noticed that inquiries from random clients have been decreasing eve since I adjust the pricing on my webpage. It doesn't bother me too much, though.

Jobs from my current clients keep me moderately busy. I'm glad that I don't need to be chained to my PC to meet the deadline of some high-volume but low-pay job. My resources are reserved for worthy clients who discern quality and appreciate the true value behind my higher pricing
... See more
Maybe it's my language pair (English/Chinese), I've noticed that inquiries from random clients have been decreasing eve since I adjust the pricing on my webpage. It doesn't bother me too much, though.

Jobs from my current clients keep me moderately busy. I'm glad that I don't need to be chained to my PC to meet the deadline of some high-volume but low-pay job. My resources are reserved for worthy clients who discern quality and appreciate the true value behind my higher pricing.
Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:17
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not very often Nov 20, 2013

Like so many others, I get mass mails all the time, but I don't really consider them to be 'potential' clients. I am not really actively looking for new clients but I get a serious inquiry maybe once a month, and they are usually referred from other existing clients. I have had 10 such inquires this year, 7 of those inquires have lead to new clients, 2 of those are other branches/franchises of another organisations I've worked for for years so I'm not sure if that counts as potential/new or exi... See more
Like so many others, I get mass mails all the time, but I don't really consider them to be 'potential' clients. I am not really actively looking for new clients but I get a serious inquiry maybe once a month, and they are usually referred from other existing clients. I have had 10 such inquires this year, 7 of those inquires have lead to new clients, 2 of those are other branches/franchises of another organisations I've worked for for years so I'm not sure if that counts as potential/new or existing client, and the only one who was not referred is either a late or non-payer.

[Edited at 2013-11-20 06:54 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you usually receive job enquiries from potential new clients?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »