Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: What is the best time of day for you to work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 06:49
Japanese to English
Late at night Oct 1, 2013

The later the better. i have a very noisy family, bless 'em, and it never really gets quiet till around 8pm. I work from 8pm - 2am quite often.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:49
German to English
Nine till eleven thirty... Oct 1, 2013

That tends to be my peak time, when I am fully awake, breakfasted and coffeed and raring to go. I can translate at lightning speed during those morning hours and find the answers to any problems I couldn't sort the previous evening. I'm much slower and steadier later in the day, but perk up again late at night sometimes to "put in a shift" on the next day's wordcount - which I am grateful for in the morning!

Steve K.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Temperament as variable for energy output Oct 1, 2013

I recently discovered that we work or perform best depending on whether we are full of energy or not.

I used to think that I was a mid morning person, then a night person, then a mid-afternoon person, then a weekend warrior. I would start some days, and weeks, full of energy and plow away, while other days I had zero energy to do a thing.

No, I don't suffer from myastenia gravis or some other condition that steals my energy.

I'm an introvert. And introverts
... See more
I recently discovered that we work or perform best depending on whether we are full of energy or not.

I used to think that I was a mid morning person, then a night person, then a mid-afternoon person, then a weekend warrior. I would start some days, and weeks, full of energy and plow away, while other days I had zero energy to do a thing.

No, I don't suffer from myastenia gravis or some other condition that steals my energy.

I'm an introvert. And introverts get their energy from inside. That's why we mull, ponder, analyze and take our time to come up with answers. I have to learn to read my body's and mind's energy levels to store up before I plunge into something.

For example, I spent yesterday (a Monday) doing absolutely nothing...except for some cleaning around the apartment. I woke up well rested but my mind was not having any of the heavy reading or work. Glad I can dictate my own hours.
Collapse

Steve Kerry
German to English
INTP Oct 1, 2013

Mario Chavez wrote:

I'm an introvert. And introverts get their energy from inside. That's why we mull, ponder, analyze and take our time to come up with answers. I have to learn to read my body's and mind's energy levels to store up before I plunge into something.

For example, I spent yesterday (a Monday) doing absolutely nothing...except for some cleaning around the apartment. I woke up well rested but my mind was not having any of the heavy reading or work. Glad I can dictate my own hours.

Hi Mario, I am an INTP myself... don't like to be hurried, very focussed and will not put up with BS in any shape or form.

Best wishes,

Steve K.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi, Steve! Oct 1, 2013

Steve Kerry wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Hi Mario, I am an INTP myself... don't like to be hurried, very focussed and will not put up with BS in any shape or form.

Best wishes,

Steve K.

It's nice to find a kindred spirit, so to speak. I had to realize that I perform better in a home office, since the so-called modern bullpen office spaces in my last job were counterintuitive: lots of noise, my manager interrupting me (well meaning, but clueless) and too much external stimulation to do my writing/translation job the way I was supposed to.

Steve Kerry
German to English
Mutual Oct 1, 2013

Mario Chavez wrote:

Steve Kerry wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Best wishes,

Steve K.

It's nice to find a kindred spirit, so to speak. I had to realize that I perform better in a home office, since the so-called modern bullpen office spaces in my last job were counterintuitive: lots of noise, my manager interrupting me (well meaning, but clueless) and too much external stimulation to do my writing/translation job the way I was supposed to.

Mutual, Mario. We like to be left to get on with the job!

Steve K.

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:49
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Late at night/ evening Oct 1, 2013

I have 5 children, 3 teenagers and 2 toddlers. The youngest two jyst never seem to agree with each other, fighting, screaming and demanding. So I start after bedtime and work 'till it's done.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
:) Oct 1, 2013

When I am fully rested. This could be any time of the day or in the middle of the night.

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Used to be mid morning Oct 1, 2013

But now I have a baby, so whenever he's sleeping or his dad is around to look after him.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - whenever I have caffeine/a deadline Oct 1, 2013

I don't really have any preference, I just work whenever I need to. I like to translate from about 10 to maybe 4 or 5, after that I take care of administrative stuff and prepare for the next day's tasks. I used to work with my dad in construction/carpentry and we had a rule that we would only work until 6pm. I get up earlier if I have a lot to do.

Cristiana Sima
Cristiana Sima  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 09:49
English to Romanian
+ ...
cheers to all WAHMs out there Oct 1, 2013

that is Working At Home Moms

who learn the hard way to work and focus at any hour of day / night

Malgorzata Kurowska
Malgorzata Kurowska
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Mid-Morning Oct 1, 2013

I'm really useless if I don't get my 9 hour sleep at night. That's why I prefer mid-morning to early morning. Afternoon is fine too, but evenings are for my hobbies or just to relax after the day and get ready for the tomorrow

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
:) Oct 1, 2013

Cristiana Sima wrote:

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hats off to moms Oct 1, 2013

Cristiana Sima wrote:

Phew! Good thing i'm not one!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks! Oct 1, 2013

Cristiana Sima wrote:

My job is done as a WAHM and my children have families of their own. I now belong to a different group: WAHGM (Working at Home Grandmas)...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the best time of day for you to work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »