Poll: How many work-related emails do you receive on average every day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 14, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many work-related emails do you receive on average every day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Helen Portefaix. View the poll results »

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Local time: 01:36
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
10-20 Sep 14, 2013

Hi all,

I receive between 10 and 20 work related e-mails if I count job notifications from this and other translation sites.
I wish they were all job assignments.

Have a great weekend all of you.

Ciao.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
<10 Sep 14, 2013

Please define "work related". I receive KudoZ notifications, ProZ.com forum notifications and job notifications all day long, but those are translation-related, not work-related. 10 or more "work-related" emails per day would mean that some client just went insane and needs to be seriously disciplined or immediately institutionalized.

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It wouldn' be the first time Sep 14, 2013

a client goes insane, but not for that reason is he/she going to an asylum, although you can follow the rule "there are more outside than inside". I must be an exception.

Have a nice day.

N.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
11-20 Sep 14, 2013

These usually include
job assignments (not every day)
emails from work-related sites
emails from colleagues about translations.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Sep 14, 2013

Me too, I would need a definition of what is meant by work-related email. Anyways, my work-related emails have a strange tendency to come in groups, meaning that some days I have none at all or only a small number and then suddenly it looks as if the world is going to end… As to what regards translation-related emails, I would say that I get around 50/60 a day.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
ten or less, or more Sep 14, 2013

Teresa Borges wrote:

Anyways, my work-related emails have a strange tendency to come in groups, meaning that some days I have none at all or only a small number and then suddenly it looks as if the world is going to end…

Yes, I sometimes get the impression that they have meetingto schedule my work just to see whether they can drive me certifiably crazy!

I probably don't get more than ten a day, mostly if there has to be some to-ing and fro-ing because of incomprehensible typos or unfathomable acronyms we'll do that on Skype.

Is it still "work-related" when I start to discuss off-topic stuff with a PM I have great rapport with? that would bump the average up over ten I reckon

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:36
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
<10 Sep 14, 2013

I take on largish projects so there is not lots of traffic between me and my handful of customers -- especially since I have just shed a monster customer, as some of you are already aware of. Yesssss!

Traffic is proportional to how often I put out feelers or how complicated a particular project is. If I'm active and the project is involved and requires lots of perpetual inquiries, etc., I get a lot of "love
... See more
I take on largish projects so there is not lots of traffic between me and my handful of customers -- especially since I have just shed a monster customer, as some of you are already aware of. Yesssss!

Traffic is proportional to how often I put out feelers or how complicated a particular project is. If I'm active and the project is involved and requires lots of perpetual inquiries, etc., I get a lot of "love letters."

Though, generally, I regard a lack of e-mails amid a constant workflow as a sign of efficiency. Wouldn't you prefer not to be bothered and disrupted by an incessant inflow of unwanted e-mail?
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
A lot Sep 14, 2013

Between translators emailing me with questions, customers emailing me with questions, my wife emailing me from the other room asking how lunch is coming (we talk about work while we eat, thus making it a staff meeting), and the nearly endless stream of resumes that we receive, there are a lot of emails cluttering up my inboxes. Right now I have about 1,100 unread emails from this week, but they're mostly linkedin group updates and proz job postings/kudoz questions.

And then somethi
... See more
Between translators emailing me with questions, customers emailing me with questions, my wife emailing me from the other room asking how lunch is coming (we talk about work while we eat, thus making it a staff meeting), and the nearly endless stream of resumes that we receive, there are a lot of emails cluttering up my inboxes. Right now I have about 1,100 unread emails from this week, but they're mostly linkedin group updates and proz job postings/kudoz questions.

And then something amazing happens. Every Thursday night the emails stop. Friday through Sunday I receive maybe 5 emails. I have had to check the internet connection because I didn't get any new emails for 5 hours.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Between 20 to over 50 Sep 14, 2013

It greatly varies. Some days I believe that my email provider is on strike because hardly any to 0 emails arrive. This is usually followed by an early morning inbox of over 100 emails, more than half of them work-related. This is excluding job and/or forum related ones, and only in 1 email account. Then there's also the TA's inbox with sometimes up to 30 "queries".

For example, a job sails in at 1 a.m. to be followed up with more emails every 20 - 30 minutes. From one person only.
... See more
It greatly varies. Some days I believe that my email provider is on strike because hardly any to 0 emails arrive. This is usually followed by an early morning inbox of over 100 emails, more than half of them work-related. This is excluding job and/or forum related ones, and only in 1 email account. Then there's also the TA's inbox with sometimes up to 30 "queries".

For example, a job sails in at 1 a.m. to be followed up with more emails every 20 - 30 minutes. From one person only. By the time I come online there are already 14 - 17 emails at about 08:30. Plus all those emails from other clients. Sigh.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
They tend to come in bunches Sep 15, 2013

Like Teresa, I don't get a steady flow. If I'm working on a long job and the terms have been agreed upon, I'm mainly fielding requests from other clients and trying to decide if I can fit them in.

When co-translating with a colleague, I may get more than 30 a day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many work-related emails do you receive on average every day?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »