Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you work with agencies about which you cannot find much information regarding reputation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:07
It depends Aug 2, 2013

It depends on all the things others have mentioned, including gut feel, but mostly it depends on how such agencies approach me.

I do so like being addressed by name in the saluation.

If an agency has to send a generic "Hi" message with some blurb about expanding their translator base, but has been unable to ascertain such basic details as my name and my language pairs, then I don't care about the agency's reputation or ease of access to its published information; I wil
... See more
It depends on all the things others have mentioned, including gut feel, but mostly it depends on how such agencies approach me.

I do so like being addressed by name in the saluation.

If an agency has to send a generic "Hi" message with some blurb about expanding their translator base, but has been unable to ascertain such basic details as my name and my language pairs, then I don't care about the agency's reputation or ease of access to its published information; I will not be working for it.

[Edited at 2013-08-02 21:11 GMT]
Collapse

Cathy Flick
Cathy Flick  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:07
Member (2003)
Russian to English
+ ...
Just get advance payment Aug 2, 2013

If I'm really unsure or they have a reputation for slow payments, I just tell them that new clients generally have to pay in advance. I also make sure to include a late fee in my terms otherwise. I check several sites besides the Blueboard. Sometimes no complaints is a good sign if they have been in business long enough. For small agencies, sometimes their web site is informative.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work with agencies about which you cannot find much information regarding reputation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »