Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many CAT tools do you use on a regular basis?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Amen Jun 18, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

1 is enough.

New customers will have to promise me heaps of regular lucrative work to make it worthwhile to jump through the hoops again and learn another program.

Also, given the love-hate relationship with CAT tools with translators on this site, I can foresee discussion regarding "How many CAT tools do you avoid on a regular basis?""

Added formatting

[Edited at 2013-06-18 08:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-18 13:14 GMT]

This nicely sums up my reasons for having avoided using CAT tools until now.

Berna Bleeke (X)
Berna Bleeke (X)
Local time: 22:50
English to Dutch
I said 3, but I forgot one Jun 18, 2013

MemoQ (my favorite), Trados (2007, tageditor and Studio), Google Translation Tool, Microsoft Localisation Studio.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
2 Jun 18, 2013

Well I have used three in all, dropped one and the others I only use when the client insists on it.

One was installed for free but I can only use it for files from the client who gave it to me, which is rather self-defeating: I don't like it because I don't really know it well enough, I forget all the shortcuts in between projects and so I often turn the projects down, so I don't get to know it any better, so I like it even less... you get the picture.

Basically if it'
... See more
Well I have used three in all, dropped one and the others I only use when the client insists on it.

One was installed for free but I can only use it for files from the client who gave it to me, which is rather self-defeating: I don't like it because I don't really know it well enough, I forget all the shortcuts in between projects and so I often turn the projects down, so I don't get to know it any better, so I like it even less... you get the picture.

Basically if it's the kind of translation where CAT tools are useful, it's not the kind of translation I really like. It's bread and butter stuff, and I don't need that much of them (and I do consider myself highly privileged to be able to say that)
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A big fat zero from me, too! Jun 18, 2013

I'm with Diana!

PS Is this an annual poll? http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/227305-poll:_how_many_different_cat_tools_do_you_use_on_a_regular_basis.html

[Edited at 2013-06-18 21:19 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:20
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
1, but I have 3 Jun 18, 2013

I regularly use only Trados, but I also have memoq and Across which I use occasionally for a couple of clients who insist on using these.

I have also dabbled in my time with XTM, SDLX, Passola, Idiom WorldServer, QtLinguist, Google Translator Kit and WordFast (when it used to be free and had a Word Interface), but now I rarely use any of them. So I suppose 1 (Trados) is the correct answer for me.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
The source text determines the tool to use Jun 18, 2013

I avoided using Trados and its ilk for years until 1998, when my new employer offered to train me in using it as a condition of employment. I accepted (plus I had a well-paid job). A year later, I purchased a Pro license of Deja Vu 3.0 on the advise of two trusted colleagues, who recommended having both Trados and Deja Vu. I haven't regretted the decision.

I bought my Trados license on the same year (1999) and I've been upgrading it until 2009. No more.

I've used Idiom
... See more
I avoided using Trados and its ilk for years until 1998, when my new employer offered to train me in using it as a condition of employment. I accepted (plus I had a well-paid job). A year later, I purchased a Pro license of Deja Vu 3.0 on the advise of two trusted colleagues, who recommended having both Trados and Deja Vu. I haven't regretted the decision.

I bought my Trados license on the same year (1999) and I've been upgrading it until 2009. No more.

I've used Idiom WorldServer 9 on a different in-house job, and it was reliable enough. I am currently using LingoTek online (a plugin) because it's part of the contract job for a hush-hush new client.

I use Deja Vu for all I do, except for the yearly project I do for a Minneapolis client. Why? Because our team of translators use SDL Trados Studio. We work with project files, MultiTerm, etc.

I couldn't care less for MultiTerm. It's just bloatware and not so intuitive and efficient. I build my termbases in Deja Vu X and X2 Pro, export them as Excel sheets when needed. Translation memories? I export them to TMX format when needed for my clients.

Any questions?
Collapse

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
I couldn't agree more Jun 18, 2013

Steve Kerry wrote:

I use Trados Studio on occasion, but mainly to attract the "in between" jobs. In my experience, decent clients don't care what you use as long as you do a good job, whereas "must have Trados" generally equates to "must allow us to rip you off for a third of your wordcount".

Steve K.

Szymon Metkowski
Szymon Metkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Many Jun 19, 2013

1. SDL Studio if I may choose the software due to its great possibilities for the cooperation with my proofreader (track changes, segment status etc.)

2. MemoQ for one of my regular clients and for a few of the less regular

3. Across from time to time

4. What the client desires (passollo, clients' tools as geoworkz, Transit via MemoQ)

5. I plan to chceck the XTM

Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
4 Jun 19, 2013

Wordfast Classic when I get to choose.

Trados or Across if that's what the client wants.

And one of my regular clients have their own CAT tool, which I use for their assignments.

I also use MemoQ and XTM, but not on a regular basis.

It isn't very difficult learning the basics of new CAT tools once you're familiar with one, and I like being flexible and having several different clients. Means there's always something to do.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
+1 Jun 19, 2013

Steve Kerry wrote:

I use Trados Studio on occasion, but mainly to attract the "in between" jobs. In my experience, decent clients don't care what you use as long as you do a good job, whereas "must have Trados" generally equates to "must allow us to rip you off for a third of your wordcount".

Steve K.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many CAT tools do you use on a regular basis?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »