Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Would you like your children to become translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:34
English to Italian
other Dec 4, 2009

as other colleagues, I don't have preferences, I mean as long as they are satisfied as I am, I am happy. If translation is that field, well, I would just suggest to do it in a different country, Italian burocracy and tax system is a big problem for freelancers, in every field.

Cagdas Karatas
Cagdas Karatas  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:34
English to Turkish
It totally depends Dec 4, 2009

I don't have any children but I've chosen "It depends" without thinking much. I'm 28 now and 2010 will be my 10th year in this profession. I still don't feel financially secure. This is a bitter fact. It isn't possible for me to know what the future will bring along. So, it would be unreasonable for me to imagine or want my prospective child to become a translator because I don't think translation is suitable for people looking for comfort and consistency in life or looking to climb up the ladde... See more
I don't have any children but I've chosen "It depends" without thinking much. I'm 28 now and 2010 will be my 10th year in this profession. I still don't feel financially secure. This is a bitter fact. It isn't possible for me to know what the future will bring along. So, it would be unreasonable for me to imagine or want my prospective child to become a translator because I don't think translation is suitable for people looking for comfort and consistency in life or looking to climb up the ladders quickly. However, if I can manage to arrange a financially secure future for my child, I would definitely encourage him/her to consider translation as an interesting and challenging job option. Then, my child could translate whatever and whenever he/she liked, unlike me.Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
+ Dec 4, 2009

I've got no children yet, but I would like them to be good at languages (as well as other things))

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
No Dec 4, 2009

Simply because neither one is suited to it and both seem to think that what I do is mind-numbingly boring, although they have no problem spending the proceeds of it

Anyhow, my elder daughter is off to study medicine or veterinary science next year (still making her mind up between these final two choices) and the younger one belongs on the stage, if you ask me, but will probably end up in advertising/marketing or journ
... See more
Simply because neither one is suited to it and both seem to think that what I do is mind-numbingly boring, although they have no problem spending the proceeds of it

Anyhow, my elder daughter is off to study medicine or veterinary science next year (still making her mind up between these final two choices) and the younger one belongs on the stage, if you ask me, but will probably end up in advertising/marketing or journalism.

[Edited at 2009-12-04 10:51 GMT]
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree Dec 4, 2009

Ikram Mahyuddin wrote:

That so far about 35% of this poll's voters don't have children is rather suprising me. Does it mean anything?

It's gone up to 40% now! Let's see how it progresses after more peers have found time to vote!

Cheers,
Chris

Wil Hardman (X)
Wil Hardman (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
it depends Dec 4, 2009

In agreement with lots of you I just want them to be happy in what they do, and I say this as a father Interlangue

There are lots of positives to being a translator (own boss, free time, mentally challenging and rewarding work) but also several downsides (social isolation, relatively low income, lots of cowboys and ignorance within the industry), and for these reasons I wouldn't explicitly recommend or warn against it
... See more
In agreement with lots of you I just want them to be happy in what they do, and I say this as a father Interlangue

There are lots of positives to being a translator (own boss, free time, mentally challenging and rewarding work) but also several downsides (social isolation, relatively low income, lots of cowboys and ignorance within the industry), and for these reasons I wouldn't explicitly recommend or warn against it.

But if I were going to be a pushy parent, which I'm not, there are plenty of other professions I would choose for them above translation. I'd probably say a professional footballer so I could retire and live off his income
Collapse

danilingua
danilingua  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
how many of us have kids anyway? Dec 4, 2009

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you like your children to become translators?".

This poll was originally submitted by Irène Guinez

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

wouldn't that be interesting to see who juggles family AND job?

I have been a single mum forever, my kid is now 12, and getting to where we are today was definitely not a stroll along the beaches

Daniela

danilingua
danilingua  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
hey chris Dec 4, 2009

Textklick wrote:

Ikram Mahyuddin wrote:

That so far about 35% of this poll's voters don't have children is rather suprising me. Does it mean anything?

It's gone up to 40% now! Let's see how it progresses after more peers have found time to vote!

Cheers,
Chris

what about you?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I picked "other" Dec 4, 2009

I have three children: a lawyer, an interior architect and... a translator, but I did encourage them to become whatever they wanted. Cheers!

Teresa

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It can be a good second income Dec 4, 2009

Working for the BBC and freelance translating in my spare time, I earned enough cash to enable me to do many things I couldn't have done otherwise, and the same applies to supplementing my pension in retirement.
So if your children have the necessary interest and aptitude, but are keener on something else as a main career, this possibility is worth pointing out to them.

Valeria Fuma
Valeria Fuma
Argentina
Local time: 14:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree Dec 4, 2009

Kata Koncz wrote:

to become whatever they want to become. If it's translation, so be it.

... just like my parents did with my sister and I. They never forced us to seek a particular career, but encouraged us in the decisions we made.

So I'd like to be as understanding with my (future) children as my parents were with me.

Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
No Dec 4, 2009

There will be NO human translators when my kid grows up. The evolution of machine translation is unstoppable and, sadly enough, translators themselves are contributing into preparing their own deathbed.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
There is a bright future for translation... for those who prepare Dec 4, 2009

Αlban SHPΑTΑ wrote:
There will be NO human translators when my kid grows up.

I don't quite agree. There will be translators, but those who are in business will need to have a very good preparation and education at a master or PhD level. The rise of automatic translation will not mean that translation will disappear. Someone has to do the tricky stuff a machine simply cannot and will not do, so there is always a future for translation.

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
They will be translators Dec 4, 2009

Maybe not professionally, but translators with kids are very likely to ensure that they speak at least two languages, and so translation in some form or other will be part of their lives.

My eight year old son regularly says things like, "I guess the translation would be..." (usually humorous), or "oh dear, I don't think they had a very good translator" etc.

So even if they do not do it professionally, they will have a translator's perspective.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
;-) Dec 4, 2009

Wil Hardman wrote:

I know there are good fathers, mindful, tolerant, respectful and no in the least pushy

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you like your children to become translators?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »